New 45nm AMD CPUs Coming in Q3 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Ok so I know this an AMD article and this announcement is cool and all -

but really Tom's - it is nearly the end of the month and I still haven't seen news on the new core i7's that I thought were supposed to be released at the end of May. Do we really have to wait until the day they come out to hear about them and research them? Is it that bad to tell us about them a little bit early so we can start making decisions on them? grrr - I've been waiting for THAT news for a while which I thought this article was about at first split second glance then read the 3rd word - AMD.

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Whats the difference between these new dual core phenoms x2 and athlon x2? It seems theres gonna be a lot of options for cpu buyers. It seems kinda confusing right now.

chris13th

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]IronRyan21[/nom]Whats the difference between these new dual core phenoms x2 and athlon x2? It seems theres gonna be a lot of options for cpu buyers. It seems kinda confusing right now.[/citation]
According to a couple different sources, the difference will be that the Phenom line with have an L3 cache, when the lower end Athlons will not.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
[citation][nom]thegh0st[/nom]Ok so I know this an AMD article and this announcement is cool and all - but really Tom's - it is nearly the end of the month and I still haven't seen news on the new core i7's that I thought were supposed to be released at the end of May. Do we really have to wait until the day they come out to hear about them and research them? Is it that bad to tell us about them a little bit early so we can start making decisions on them? grrr - I've been waiting for THAT news for a while which I thought this article was about at first split second glance then read the 3rd word - AMD.[/citation]
Go yell at Intel's marketing team for not releasing info, not Toms for not making sh*t up.

collisionss

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
OH YAYAYAYAY 45NM I'M SO HAPPY I CANT WAIT TILL THEY COME OUT!! I'M GOING TO SWITCH MY WHOLE SYSTEM OVER TO AMD!!!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAY

chris13th

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]What, a quad-core Athlon! This is starting to look pretty damn good, but I wonder how they'll differentiate the Phenom X4 and Athlon X4, and what the prices would be.[/citation]
L3 cache. read my previous post.

soonerproud

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I may be wrong, but I believe I've also heard the Phenom II has better clock efficiency compared to the Athlons.[/citation]

I was under the impression that the new Athlon II processors lacked L3 and are based on the original Phenom design, not the Phenom II. Could some one confirm if this is the case or not at Tom's?

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
How is this more competition? AMD is going to release more processors based on a bad design, and this going to make life more difficult for Intel?

The i7 ass-rapes anything AMD can produce, and there's really no way for AMD to compete. It's not just better, it's so much better, and it's not even any bigger. AMD has a seriously bad design on their hands, so more iterations of this bad design are not going to really cause Intel to lose sleep. AMD will get the crumbs Intel does not want, like a scavenging dog hiding under the table hoping something will fall.

When the i5 is released, and moves downstream, AMD will have to move even lower on the food chain. They should stop trying to compete against the Nehalem, for the simple reason they can't.

I'd like to see them put some real effort in dual cores, real dual cores, not sodomized quad-cores that are too expensive to sell profitably as a dual-core. Although a PoS design, the Phenom II comes closer to the Penryn than it does the Nehalem, and with a big cache, and some high clock speeds, they might eek out an existence there until they can come out with the Bulldozer, which hopefully can compete in a meaningful way.

They should try to win market share where the processor doesn't matter. Where the processor is important, Intel will win because it's much better. Much better. But, if they can make the processors cheap enough, they can still sell them cheap enough and make money. They also make good integrated graphics platforms, so that gives them a real advantage over Intel in the platform. But, really, they should forget about performance and focus on cheap right now. When the Bulldozer comes, then move back up. With the pathetic Phenom II, it's just not going to work. It's amazing it's the same size as the i7, and gets destroyed by it by such a wide margin. It's shameful.

soonerproud

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]How is this more competition? AMD is going to release more processors based on a bad design
[/citation]

I stopped reading right there because you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. The Phenom II is a excellent processor and is very competitive with current Intel processors in performance at their current price ranges.

I just purchased a X4 955 BE because it was killing Intel processors at the same price segment and actually comes close to or outperforms the i7 in the areas that matter to me. (Gaming and multimedia are the X4 955's strong points.) I could not justify an extra $150 to buy the i7 when the performance that matters to me is very close between the two.

Get your facts straight before coming on here and spouting you senseless rantings.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]How is this more competition? AMD is going to release more processors based on a bad design,[/citation]

lol dude the mainstream does not need an i7 or even a high end i5,heck a gamer would be very well satisfied with a 940 be,the phenom 2 processors offer optimal performance at solid price points,the i7 really only beats the phenom 2 in multi tasking and most ppl dont even notice these differences in the real world unless they r enthusiasts or professional video editors,you talk as if just because the i7 is more powerful everyone should buy that,you are probably one of those moronic "gamers" who goes out and buys the gtx 295 to play on a 17 inch monitor,fuk outta here

G

@soonerproud

There is a big difference between enthusiast and fanboi.

You’re as bad as those who justified buying Intel chips during the net burst era.

soonerproud

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
@guk

There was nothing fanboyish about my comment. Go read the reviews here at Tom's and other sites and you will see what I wrote is absolutely correct.

BTW, I own Intel processors too.

shadowryche

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
From the sounds of this we will be able to put together some spectacular budget overclocker systems this summer. I don't think that AMD is even aiming to out perform the Core i7 at this point, their engineers probably work with sensibility in mind. Whats the point of making a car that can move 300mph when so few people are capable of driving one that fast.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]soonerproud[/nom]I stopped reading right there because you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. The Phenom II is a excellent processor and is very competitive with current Intel processors in performance at their current price ranges.I just purchased a X4 955 BE because it was killing Intel processors at the same price segment and actually comes close to or outperforms the i7 in the areas that matter to me. (Gaming and multimedia are the X4 955's strong points.) I could not justify an extra $150 to buy the i7 when the performance that matters to me is very close between the two.Get your facts straight before coming on here and spouting you senseless rantings.[/citation]

Sooner, no offense, but you don't know anything about processors. The Phenom II is the same size as the i7, and doesn't even approach the performance of it. It's roughly as expensive to make, can not clock as high, and has much lower IPC. How is that anything but a bad design?

AMD has to price them very low, and against Intel's previous generation. The problem is, they are losing money by doing so. It's because the bad design forces them to do this. It's so inferior to the i7, and as Intel moves the Nehalem mainstream it's going to get even tougher. The Phenom II can't even compete clock normalized with the Core 2, and it's a much larger chip.

So, really, try to learn before you post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS