New 4790k crashing at stock settings in Prime95

Leonardusvm

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
Hi, this week I built my first pc. Everything went normal: I put together all the components, updated all of the drivers and installed windows 8.1. I also installed some games and all my programs I need for school. Then I decided to do some stress testing to see if the new components were stable.

From the title you can imagine this is the part were it went wrong. Every time I run prime95, the pc restarts itself within 10 minutes of starting the test. In CoreTemp, I see that all of the temperatures stay out of the danger zone. My cpu cooler is a Thermalright Macho rev. A. The voltage is hovering around 1.35 volt (this is set to 'auto' in the bios). The clock speed during the test is 4200mhz (monitored in cpu-z).

Prime95 wasn't the only test I ran. I also did a couple of runs of memtest86 and cinebench. During these tests there were no errors and in cinebench the temperatures stayed pretty cool. I also tried to run Prime95 with every stick of ram separately (I have 2x4gb). But prime95 keeps crashing. My psu voltages are also pretty normal.

Finally I tried to manually set the voltage and clock speed. With 1.25 volts and 4000mhz prime95 can run over 30 minutes. However when I set it to 1.3v and try the test again, the system crashes within 10 minutes of starting the test. It crashes both during the blend test and the small fft test.

With this information I hope you guys can help me, I really don't know what to do anymore. My parts are still within the return period.

Leonardusvm

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014

i7 4790k
gigabyte z97mx-gaming 5
thermalright macho rev. a
corsair cs750m
crucial ballistix sport 1600mhz 2x4gb
seagate barracuda 2tb
crucial mx100 256gb
graphics card hasn't arrived yet

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014

Huh... The voltages on mine are around 1.192v for 4.4Ghz... I guess it's different with different mobo's and etc.

Since you've done all that, what kind of code are you getting upon crash?

Leonardusvm

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014

I am not getting any code. My system just turns itself off and then automatically reboots. It doesn't show any error messages or bsods.

Leonardusvm

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014

Yeah, my system sometimes acts weird while coretemp is open. When that happens I use speedfan. But I am thinking that this problem isn't causing my original problem.

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014

Speedfan also makes my PC act wierd. Try Prime95 with Realtemp. Record temps before test and highest you can see while Prime95.

mlga91

Admirable
Haswell cpus dont like prime 95, i really dont recall where i read it, but its recomended to use another tests instead of prime 95 on haswell and ivy cpus, seeing that the other tests that you used were good seems like thats the case. Aida64 and intel burn test are good choices too.

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014

Prime95 heats up a lot of Haswell CPU's to really high temps. Personally, I get above 73C max on Prime with mine, but maybe because the 4790k is a Haswell Refresh? Anyways, I like OCCT. AIDA64 isn't free (or is it?) and Intel Burn Test seems to stress the CPU to unrealistic levels.

Leonardusvm

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014

Yeah, I haven't had any issues so far with the other stress tests.

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014

If your computer works fine without Prime95, then you don't need to use it :) The only time it should be used is if your using processing power to look for Mersenne primes, or to stress test your CPU for stability when overclocking. If your system is stable otherwise, then there is no need, unless your looking for Mersenne primes in which case you should probably wait for an update :p

However, I would get that voltage in check. Mine runs at 1.192 at 4.4ghz turbo.

DubbleClick

Admirable
I may repeat, your voltage is way too high. 1.2v for 4.4ghz should be more than enough.

And you still didn't post your actual temperatures, just that they are "out of danger zone". Thing is, noone knows what you consider as such.

Leonardusvm

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014

Coretemp shows max temperatures around 75 degrees during prime95 and other tests. I think the voltage problem is caused by the gigabyte motherboard. It turns its vcore voltage way too high in auto mode.

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014

Turn it off auto at try running it at around 1.05 for stock and use Offset. If the problem persists, add +0.05 until you get stable. However, a BIOS update may help as well.

Leonardusvm

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
Updating the bios seems to have fixed the voltage issue. The vcore voltage stays below 1.15v in Prime95. Prime95 is also already running over 20 minutes without crashing my system. Thank you all for your help.