New 4K Monitor & old 2 x 580 Nvidia GPUs, will they work together ?

blackgold888

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Is it possible for a new 4K monitor with only 2 x HDMI and 1 x DisplayPort connectors to be powered by 2 x Nvidia 580 graphic cards with only DVI ports ? Is it as simple as buying a DVI – 2- DsiplayPort conversion cable ?

I't will be mostly be used for gaming, so will need the 60 Mhz, I've heard 4K @ 30 Mhz is no good for gaming.

Ta.

Solution
Only HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 will work for 4k@60Hz, other kind of display connections can't, there isn't a single adapter that works for conversion either, for now anyways. Even if they can, you would need "a lot" more GPU power to play a game.

-Lone-

Admirable
Only HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 will work for 4k@60Hz, other kind of display connections can't, there isn't a single adapter that works for conversion either, for now anyways. Even if they can, you would need "a lot" more GPU power to play a game.

Solution

-Lone-

Admirable
Well, since you like Nvidia cards, why not wait a bit and get something like the Acer 4k g sync monitor? (If the price goes down) or other 4k g sync monitors when they are out. It will help eliminate stutters when you get new GPUs in the future whether you have more or less than 60 fps.

There are some exceptions to that rule. Some of the first 4k monitors to support 60hz did so by using 2 HDMI 1.4 ports connected to a monitor that was actually 2 displays stitched together. I'm not sure you want to go that route, as it may not be as ideal when you upgrade your GPU.

-Lone-

Admirable

If I was buying a 4k monitor, I would get the Asus one. It seems the Samsung monitor has more issues than Asus, at least I saw more threads about the Samsung monitor having issues than with the Asus monitor. Also the Asus monitor has speakers, the Samsung monitor doesn't have speakers if you care about that.