Build Complete New 4K Rig Results (and setup experience)

CeltPC

Honorable
Jun 8, 2017
Given the frequent questions on putting together components for a 4k capable PC build, thought I would share how mine turned out and a few notes on challenges and how they were resolved. Here are the parts choices I made:

New
Phanteks Eclipse G500A Mid Tower Case, DRGB
Additional Phanteks 140 fan for exhaust
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PS
ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming WiFi
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB
G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series (AMD Expo) 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96 F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR
Solidigm™ P44 Pro Series 2TB PCIe GEN 4 NVMe
Carried over from old setup
Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
Samsung 32" Neo G7
HGST 4TB Hard Drive

Parts
As far as components, I have been pleased with each choice so far. I had been waiting for some time to see how the 7800x3d tested out, and had time to think about what I wanted and why. I like to game at 4k, though I need a "balanced" rig so all round performance is a priority. I generally go for high end, but not "halo" level horrible bang for the buck parts. The 7900x just had a price drop from $550 to $423.

Considering the higher overall application grunt of it's 12 cores vs. the 8 core 7800x3d, and the very small differences in gaming at 4k - even the 7950X3D is within single digit FPS of the 7900X - I decided it was the ticket for me. It can be tuned down to non "X" 7900 efficiency or up to overclocked levels if needed.

I went a bit overboard on the power supply than what was required, but I have always thought of the PS and the motherboard as the true heart of a system and both last me through at least one or two CPU upgrades if chosen wisely (a key reason I went with an AM5 route). Beyond the confidence of plentiful, clean, and stable power, I did love getting rid of that horrible three headed Hydra of a 12VHPWR adapter cable.

The Strix B650E-E was likewise more expensive than some alternatives. It was the board that had the key features I want such as a well designed Bios, Bios flashback and clear CMOS on the rear, an LED that generates error codes, great VRM's, and solid overall quality. My no freeze or crash experience so far reinforces that it is well engineered for a new platform.

The EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB has really made an impression with reviewer/testers in short order. It's beating all the competition in temps and it has an EK designed pump - by folks who have a long lineage in watercooling. Not using an Asetek pump is a big plus to me.

The F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR memory was chosen for it's fast timings and SK-Hynix chips. The EXPO II timings are good, though I plan to try tightening things up ala BuildZoid at Actually Hardcore Overclocking.

The Samsung 32" Neo G7 isn't a part of the "build" per se, but deserves mention because all the effort we put in to a PC in the end is experienced via what we see on our monitor. The NEO G7 has a Mini LED local dimming feature with 1,196 zones, which means HDR is better than about anything than an OLED screen - which I would not buy for a general use PC due to burn-in. The 165Hz refresh rate, deep blacks, excellent color gamut and accuracy, etc. are top notch. Some might not like the curved screen, and honestly if they had a same spec 32'' flat version I would have preferred that, but it really has not been a problem for me.

Assembly
The build itself was pretty straight forward, though I was surprised that the most time consuming issue was figuring out all the RGB cabling (Three RGB fans on the radiator, three more on the front of the case, one rear exhaust, one on the AIO pump, and 3 built into the case). I settled on eschewing use of the RGB controller included in the case, and going with everything connected to the motherboard. I still need to order an RGB splitter cable due to being one connection short of what could be accommodated even with daisy chaining and using all three Motherboard RGB headers. The built in case RGB strip LEDS are therefore not functioning till I get the splitter.

The G500A is quite easy to build with, it's the nicest case I have used. I appreciated the "no need for a sharp bend" space between the 4080 power cable and the front glass and the clever "hatch" with sliding cover for that cable to disappear into rather than the usual longer routing path of other cases. Though appearance has nothing to do with how well a PC functions, it is still a source of pleasure to those of us who are aficionados. I still need to get that final case RGB working, and do a final cable management (replace those bread bag twisty thingies with neat zip ties). Cable management is a non-issue with the depth available and the generous tie-down locations.

My best advice is to follow the woodworking axiom - "Measure twice, cut once". In other words take your time and think it through at each step. Most assembly errors can be fixed, though a ruined motherboard or CPU can be painful lessons.

Setup
After firing the rig up and booting to a USB stick to install Windows 11, I ran in to a dead end when the install routine could not connect to the internet and gave no options to proceed. I tried several things to no avail. Thankfully googled the solution on my phone, which was :

1. Use the “Shift + F10” keyboard shortcut.
2. In Command Prompt, type the OOBE\BYPASSNRO command to bypass network requirements on Windows 11 and press Enter.
3. Click the “Continue with limited setup” option.

I was surprised how quickly Windows installed from that point, and even more surprised that immediately upon Windows opening, the Asus "Amoury Crate" install window popped up offering to install the needed Intel LAN driver as well. Honestly, I may have not ever have installed Armoury Crate otherwise, assuming it was just another bloatware gimmick. After clicking to install, poof, the internet was connected, and Armoury Crate also had options to install/update all the other drivers (chipset, graphics, audio, wi-fi, and bluetooth) - as well as some options for useful utilities (I picked WinRAR, Two-way AI noise cancellation, and CPUID ROG CPU-Z).

Sure, I could have done all this manually the old fashioned way, but it really was slick and saved a ton of time. Beyond the initial setup assistance, I was impressed with it's monitoring and variety of other features. It also proved to be very handy as a controller for all the RGB and effects in a simple but useful interface.

After installing my most used applications, I was ready to begin setting up Steam and a bunch of games I had from my old rig on the trusty rusty hard drive. that proved to be another problem, as after doing the Steam " add another Library location" pointing to that drive, Steam would not find the gamed and despite repeated efforts, continued to show all my gamed as needing to be downloading and installed (which I did not want to go through with all the time and waste of bandwidth that entailed). After looking up several fixes (which included a laborious process such as modifying the Appmanifest file and individually identifying the Steam APPID number of each game), I decided to try a simple gambit.

Since Steam had created a new empty "Steam Library" folder on the drive, I deleted that, and renamed the folder containing my games to "Steam Library", and restarted Steam. It worked and all my games were ready to go.

I did subsequently relocate a few of my favorite games to the NVME drive to benefit from the very fast loading. For me, that currently includes Red Dead Redemption 2, Elden Ring, and Hogwarts Legacy.

Having things basically working, I ran Cinebench in conjunction with HWiNFO64 to monitor temps, core frequencies, voltages, watts, etc.. The results were pretty good, with a multi-core score of over 28,000. I was seeing thermal throttling. All in all not a bad start at all stock settings. I then flashed to the latest bios version, and tried going with the EXPO II memory setting, which should bump things up considerably to rated speed and timings. This booted and ran without a hiccup.

I then experimented with a few overclocking features (PBO, curve optimizer, and ECO modes) to see how each balanced performance, power consumption, and temps, Nothing I tried caused a crash at any time. I then went with the simplest overclock approach - just using EXPO II and setting Core Ratio to AI Optimized. The outcome was great - a combination of strong Cinebench Single Core (over 2000) and Multi Core (over 30,000) scores. Just as importantly, the temps were a bit lower (86.5 C), no thermal throttling and good voltages.

I have to give Asus kudos on just how smart that AI Optimized setting is, unlike manual overclock methods that tend to make you choose between single core or multicore performance, it's dynamic algorithms manage to to give you optimal level performance for both. Here is a YouTube link on the topic (Ignore that the title says ROG X670E - it's exactly the same with the Strix B650E-E):
How to use AI Overclocking on an ROG X670E Motherboard for Ryzen CPUs

Summary
You may have had the sinking feeling of disappointment and frustration when a new rig has failures to boot, system crashes, and underwhelming performance after spending hard earned money and all the time and effort in planning, ordering, assembling, and setting up. Fortunately, I am happy - very happy - with this PC. The general feel is perceptively quite snappy and responsive, and tasks seem to complete in no time. It rips through games at 4K like nobody's business with gorgeous visuals. And of course watching streaming like Netflix or ripped 4K content is a treat.

I hope these impressions and hands on thoughts are helpful to someone contemplating their next build. Have fun :)

Last edited:

CeltPC

Honorable
Jun 8, 2017
Noticed that the Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB M.2 was $20.00 off on Newegg from what I paid from Amazon this month. So I ordered a second one. I had originally planned on adding a second NVME drive so that I could completely transition all applications and games to fast storage. This will accomplish that with room for growth.

The 4TB hard drive will now be reserved for music, movies / videos, books, miscellaneous files, and seldom used files are really not impacted by residing there. That should finish off my new rig for the foreseeable future!

CeltPC

Honorable
Jun 8, 2017
Decided to try redoing all the RGB wiring before adding an adapter, which with 7 fans, the pump block, and 2 on the case itself entails some doing. Finally figured out a way to get everything working. It's all going to the motherboard and controlled using Amoury Crate, so just one click to turn it all off.

The one LED that I have not been able to turn off is the 4080 logo, which is a bit of a pain when watching videos at night. Here are some pics (sorry, the quality is pretty bad) of the RGB now.

blue4.jpg

red-pc2.jpg

rainbow3.jpg

Last edited:

CeltPC

Honorable
Jun 8, 2017
I think if you are are so inclined, your next step would be to get some custom sleeved cables?

And do i see some GPU sag in the pictures?
I generally do not invest in purely cosmetic upgrades, though Cable-Mod does offer some very spiffy kits :). If I wanted to go all out, those LIAN LI - STRIMER PLUS V2 RGB cables do look wicked, lol. This YouTube video doing a build in my G500A case has an example of these - check out the look at 10:29 in:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhMsxcvMXeQ

As for GPU sag, it may mostly be a misleading view from the photos, because when eyeballed in real life it looks pretty straight, though now I think I might check it with a small level! This case does have an anti-sag bracket, which I did install, though it is a quite different design than others, it's located in the rear of the case and is not visible from the front.

Thanks much for the feedback.

One other update. A new Bios version came out today for the B560E-E, and I did do a clear CMOS and flashed it. The process was idiot proof, and I did a completely stock run of Cinebench, As you expect with the 7900X and 7950X the temps go up to above 90C as AMD designed and some thermal throttling does happen.

I then applied the Asus "EXPO II Tweaked" memory setting at 6000, and the "AI Overclocked" CPU setting, and redid testing. Just like with the previous bios, there were no problems or crashes, You do get a nice bump in scores as well as a nice drop in temps with no throttling at all, so I really suggest owners of Asus AM5 boards to try this - its so easy to do and a win-win scenario.

Still waiting for the second Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB NVMe which should arrive by the middle of next week.

Reactions: Lucky_SLS

CeltPC

Honorable
Jun 8, 2017
Well.. well.. I have been following the reports of fried 7000x series CPU's (mostly x3d models but some "regular" non x3d as well), and some toasted motherboards. After just having updated the Bios on Friday, and checking in particular SOC voltages - I was seeing around 1.35 volts which I did not think was too excessive.

AMD today announced that they were "working with our ODM partners to ensure voltages applied to Ryzen 7000X3D CPUs via motherboard BIOS settings are within product specifications". Also "ASUS has issued a statement, clarifying that it will issue firmwares that limit SoC voltage to 1.3V". (quotes from here at tom'sHardware)

I checked the Asus website and sure enough a spanking new Bios version 1412 dated today was there - my previous version was 1409. Did my usual flash procedure, enabled the EXPO tweaked and AI overclock settings, and ran some new Cinebench with monitoring from HWiNFO64. Scores seem unaffected. The SOC volts were slightly reduced - now seeing 1.335 volts locked in.

Not much of a change from my previous results, but I do feel more comfortable that I won't run into flaming (or bulged) CPU issues. I also appreciate Asus jumping to get the new Bios out quickly.

Last edited:

CeltPC

Honorable
Jun 8, 2017
The Bios techs at Asus must be burning the midnight oil, as they already posted a new version, which is very unusual, take a look at the Bios releases and dates:

ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1414 - 4/28/2023
ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1413 - 4/27/2023
ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1413 - 4/25/2023
ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI BIOS1409 - 4/21/2023
ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1410 - 4/14/2023

Five Bios updates in 14 days is a blistering pace that is unlike anything I ever saw with my years with the Crosshair VI Hero MB. Asus and AMD are obviously taking the issue that some users have experienced across basically all the motherboard brands quite seriously and are fixing, tuning and tweaking away furiously.

"According to the AMD patch notes in Igor's report, both mechanisms had no effect on Ryzen 7000 CPUs with previous AGESA code updates. We don't know what this means exactly, but it seems like the SMU was allowing the CPU to go past TJmax at least a little bit and causing performance issues with the CPU below TJmax in some way.

Again, we don't know how extensive this issue has become. Still, nonetheless, it's a big enough issue for us to highly recommend all Ryzen 7000 users to upgrade their motherboard BIOS/UEFI to a version with AMD's AGESA ComboAM5 patch 1.0.7.0 as soon as possible. The firmware update also provides many other bug fixes, including improved boot times, deep sleep fixes, curve optimizer fixes, and a plethora of DDR5 memory bug fixes."
- From TomsHardware

Generally the conventional advice on updating your Bios has been: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I have always tended to go for latest versions anyway, reasoning that they are not releasing an update just for the heck of it. Anyway I have once again flashed to the latest 1414 version, though expecting to perhaps seeing some performance decline given that they are trying to ensure volts and temps are more conservative and safer.

After going with "EXPO tweaked" and "AI Overclock" I did a little Cinebench benchmarking while monitoring with HWiNFO64. I was pleasantly surprised!

My Cinebench scores actually went up about 100 points on average (3168ish - not a big difference but notable that it was actually a gain). Meanwhile the SOC voltage went down from 1.335 to 1.28. Temperatures decreased as well, never exceeding 85.9 C. Given that my first stock results with this build were 2800 on Cinebench and temps in the 90's with thermal throttling, it's encouraging.

Last edited:

CeltPC

Honorable
Jun 8, 2017
Forgot to mention that I did receive and install the second Solidigm P44 Pro drive, and have put quite a few games on it already (1 TB so far).

Today I saw that Solidigm had released a new driver and "Solidigm Synergy Toolkit" software. I installed both, and also saw that Level1Techs today posted a new video on this. Pretty cool stuff.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YBeriMsDS0

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me

CeltPC

Honorable
Jun 8, 2017
Not many changes, though I did just recently add a Samsung 990 Pro 4TB GEN 4 NVMe to the rig. I'm currently running BIOS 1813. Very stable with no issues.