New 5-Year Limited Warranty on Intel® SSD 320

tecmo34

Administrator
Intel has up their warranty period on the Intel 320 to 5 years....

"Confident in the enhanced reliability features of its recently introduced third-generation solid-state drive (SSD), Intel announced it has extended its limited warranty for the Intel® SSD 320 Series from three years to five years. The extended warranty term will apply to all Intel SSD 320 Series drives, including those already purchased. Additional limitations apply to enterprise usage levels."

Source: http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2011/05/19/chip-shot-new-5-year-limited-warranty-on-intel-ssd-320

Let's hope so

Intel will also be trying some new components that I am sure we would all like to see with a 5 year warranty. Next Fall Intel will be introducing new motherboards. Intel will probably include the new PCI-e 3.0 standard that was adopted last year. Intel and other companies will also be introducing PCI-e based ssd's. If Intel designs ssd's for the new PCI-e standard, then the implications are enormous. That's where the real action is.

EDIT - Just had a crazy thought pop into my head - What if Intel is betting that most businesses and consumers will upgrade every 2 or 3 years? If so, then the 5 year warranty might be construed as an advertising gimmick.

Nope, we are going to put our money where our mouth is. In reality we know that our Solid States Drives are that reliable that we can increase the warranty to an unheard of 5 years without worrying about it costing us. We make the single most reliable SSD’s on the market by far, so when you want to be able to count on having your data safe and getting good performance who are you going to turn to?

IntelEnthusiast - It was just an odd thought that popped into my head for a very brief moment. I try and look at things from different perspectives.

BTW - I know Intel mentioned the 520 series will be for gamers and enthusiasts. Will the 520-P be a PCI-e 3.0 based ssd?

EDIT - I probably just answered my own question. I took another look at the charts. Looks like all three series of PCI-e based ssd's will be PCI-e 2.0 x4.