[SOLVED] New 5600X/ASUS tuf x570 combo, says CPU is 58C in BIOS but hwinfo64 says 38C

Jul 10, 2021
Hello, So first off it's a prebuilt (I know, I know, but the cost of the card was about as much as the prebuilt!), but out of the box with their CPU fan the motherboard says the CPU is idle between 55-60C. When I go into Windows, idling says 55-60 on AIDA64, and 55-60 on OHWMonitor on core 4 (an older version on my flash drive I already had). On HWInfo64 though, it says all the cores are around 35-40, including Core 4, a 20 degree difference. Skimming the rest of HWInfo64 the 55-60 temp readout is listed under the motherboard as "Temp3" and HWInfo has no idea apparently what this Temp3 could be. As I said in the title the motherboard is an ASUS TUF X570.

Is the CPU actually fine? What am I missing here? I can redo the thermals on Monday at work if need be, and honestly if I need to replace the case and fan with an AIO cooler I'm willing to do that (there's no room for a cooler), but I just need some direction. Many thanks in advance.

Solution
Its possible that all the other sensors are recording the package temp and HWINFO is showing CPU sensors

There are sensors on the CPU and sensors on the motherboard

your HWINFO sensors screen will look different as our CPU aren't the same

vFGqLxU.jpg

the top sensors are on chip, the ones listed next to motherboard are on the motherboard.

the temps in top area are often 8c cooler than what CPU shows in motherboard area. I just ignore package and look at CPU CCD1 (tdie) on my pc

what do other temps show, what is average temp of everything else. if its closer to 35/40 than 55/60 you probably don't need to worry.

I mainly use HWINFO or AMD Ryzen Master for sensors, rest of the ways to tell speed or temps...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its possible that all the other sensors are recording the package temp and HWINFO is showing CPU sensors

vFGqLxU.jpg

the top sensors are on chip, the ones listed next to motherboard are on the motherboard.

the temps in top area are often 8c cooler than what CPU shows in motherboard area. I just ignore package and look at CPU CCD1 (tdie) on my pc

what do other temps show, what is average temp of everything else. if its closer to 35/40 than 55/60 you probably don't need to worry.

I mainly use HWINFO or AMD Ryzen Master for sensors, rest of the ways to tell speed or temps seem to be wrong or just look at CPU package (the outside of cpu)

CPU sounds fine,

Reactions: TPoppaPuff
Solution
Jul 10, 2021

vFGqLxU.jpg

I mainly use HWINFO or AMD Ryzen Master for sensors, rest of the ways to tell speed or temps seem to be wrong or just look at CPU package (the outside of cpu)

CPU sounds fine,

Thank you. I find it shocking the BIOS wouldn't be measuring each CPU core, it's not like the motherboard works with anything other than Ryzen architecture after all, but everything you said and everything I see lines up with what you're saying. I may still upgrade to liquid cooling and therefore a new case, but at least it appears that I don't have to do it right now and can wait if I choose to. I will still keep an especially close eye on it but I find the whole thing absurd, not only for the BIOS but other monitoring programs as well.

Thanks again!

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could try updating bios if there is a new one. it might correct its measurements.
I can find people with high chipset temps on that board but not a lot about CPU.

I guess motherboard just showing what its seeing, not what CPU is showing. I haven't looked in my bios to check temps. I found early on that many programs get my temps and speed wrong. Task manager always thinks CPU is running at 4ghz when its not even close. I did try to use the Gigabyte software to track fan speed and temps but it can't see my aio at all. So easier to use HWINFO

Last edited:
Reactions: TPoppaPuff