[SOLVED] New 5700 won't make it past boot. TDP issue?

Oct 3, 2019
Hi, I recently stepped up to a 1440p monitor and I'm trying to give my old FX-8320E/ GTX960 system one last upgrade before I have to tear everything out. A 1440p-level GPU, of which the 5700XT is the front runner.

I'm in a mATX box, so I've got <10" clearance and the MSI MECH 5700/XT are literally the only options. I bring it home, wedge it in there, power up, Bios loads....then once windows should begin to load the screen goes blank, monitor led stays lit as if there's signal, but display stays dead. There's a couple clicks from the PC as if something's loading, but only briefly and Win10 never boots up.

Old card boots/works fine when I plug it back in. I've had AMD cards in this PC before. The only thing I can think of is that these MSI 5700's can both eat up a good 225W. I have a high quality(?) Seasonic 660W platinum grade PSU and don't run anything crazy; 2 HDDs and a small bump up to 3.6Ghz from 3.3, so I figured I had enough wiggle room, but they do recommend 750W.

The last time I had an insufficient PSU, the whole thing wouldn't power-on, at all. It starts, BIOS runs and it's displayed through the card, I can change mobo settings no problem. It's just once Win10 starts to load it goes dead, fans still running but nothing gets done. Would that be from the GPU stepping up power draw after BIOS, and then not having enough power? Or is there something else I could be troubleshooting?

System/power breakdown here. https://outervision.com/b/yjgWXK

It's a little close to my 660W max, but I was hoping still workable? I've only got budget for the 1 card currently, so stepping up to a 800W-ish PSU just for a more expensive card is a non-starter, I'll just have to settle for a crappier half-upgrade GPU and be bitter about it for 2 years. :/

Solution
Seasonic 660XP2 I'm guessing. They're real nice.

Outer vision applies a ~1.75 safety factor in the wattage recommendation. Your actual system power draw is somewhere around 350W. There will be some brief spikes above that, but certainly within the limits of your PSU.
Seasonic 660XP2 I'm guessing. They're real nice.

Outer vision applies a ~1.75 safety factor in the wattage recommendation. Your actual system power draw is somewhere around 350W. There will be some brief spikes above that, but certainly within the limits of your PSU.

Solution
Oct 3, 2019
Yeah, I was hoping getting a nice efficient PSU would give me a little headroom in exactly this situation, if not the 5700XT then the 5700.
(Confession time, I was worried about the XT being too power hungry, so when it hung I grabbed a 5700 for troubleshooting before I realized both MSI OC models demand 225W. X/ So now I've got like 1K in video card sitting around I might need to return all at once before my bills hit. First world problems.)

Assuming I've got >60W of room that isn't the problem, anything else I could be troubleshooting? I uninstalled Nvidia drivers manually, but I probably missed one of the 5 installed components and didn't use DDU even though I'm aware of it. That's the next step, anything else I might be missing? Last time I tried safe mode, Win10 absolutely won't let you anymore, right? Any way to reach safe more in 10?

EDIT: Mobo is a M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3. Like I said, old! PCIe 2.0, but one more card should squeeze the last bit of worth out of it. I got into safe mode (Shift + reset in windows Power menu is easy!) Removed Nvidia drivers. No luck, quick pass at any old AMD drivers with DDU, still screwed, gonna see what other AMD drivers I can baleet before these cards get yeeted back to BB.

I think I agree that it's likely some sort of driver issue. But with an AMD chipset, it's not like I want to go deleting every AMD driver I see. Audio chip is AMD, do I kill that too? Any ideas what else to look at?

Last edited:
Sorry, I linked the wrong page above.

Before you enter safe mode, you need to enter the Windows Recovery Environment (winRE). To do this, you will repeatedly turn your device off, then on:

1. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  2. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  3. On the first sign that Windows has started (for example, some devices show the manufacturer’s logo when restarting) hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  4. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  5. When Windows restarts, hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  6. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  7. Allow your device to fully restart. You will enter winRE.
Now that you are in winRE, you will follow these steps to take you to safe mode:

1. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart

See if you can get into safe mode. If you can, I would suspect some driver conflict.