New 6 TB WD HD shows only 465.8 gigs

mayvern

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
I have just bought a NEW WD Blue 6 TB hard drive that shows only 465.8 gigs. I origianally formatted it with MBR and EXT4.
I have tried several times including GPT.
I presently have no partitions or stuff on the disk so can start again.
I have completed a surface scan with Mini-Tool so the drive is blank.
I intend to use it in a Linux computer for data storage and recording TV programs. If I have to use Windows I can do that but prefer to use Linux.
Please assist.
Thank you

Solution
That's odd, 465.8GB is the exact formatted capacity of a 500GB disk. Current WD Black, Blue and Purple disks are also available in both 500GB and 6TB capacities, so externally they would look the same.

RealBeast

Titan
You need to completely unpartition the drive and then repartition as GPT, it still has the old partition.

If you do it with Windows simply run a command prompt window and run some diskpart commands:
diskpart
list disk
select disk n (where n is the target disk in the list command)
clean

Then it is unpartitioned and can be partitioned and formatted with disk management or using a Linux tool. You can also use GParted in a Linux build, unmount the drive and then delete the existing partition. Then it will be ready to partition and format.

mayvern

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011

mayvern

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Thank you RealBeast. for your reply.
I have done as you suggested but I still only have 456.8 gigs. Can you tell me where to go from here.
Both EaseUS and MiniTool Partition state the unallocated space is 465.8 with no partitions.
The disk states MBR I thought I had set it ti GPT. Is this the problem. If so how do I make a partition table GPT. I can't find it in either of the two above programs.

mayvern

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
OMGoodness. I REALLY screwed up. I have three drives. OS, Data (500 G) and the new one. I have formated (several times) the data disk. I feel like a real twit.
Anyway thank you all for your guidance.