New 6Gb/s SSD wish, but no 6GB/s controller on motherboard.

gel214th

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hey all.

I have a system with an Asus P75P55-D motherboard, an Intel X-25m 80GB Boot drive and a Western Digital Caviar Black 1.0TB 32MB Cache hard disk drive.

The 1TB has been filling awfully quickly lately, and I've been having to clear it out. Now mind you when I do some house cleaning on downloaded Direct2Drive game installs (that just sit there) and uninstalling older, unused games I can usually get a whopping 100GB free.

I want some more storage in the system, especially for actually running games.

On the 80GB all I can store is Program files and the OS. Office, Windows 7, and the other little programs I run and the drive just has about 10GB free.

I'm looking at 512GB SSD drives. 256GB for the smallest as a drive to run programs (games) from.

However, the motherboard does not have a 6GB/s controller on it.

Do you all recommend purchasing a third party 6GB/s controller?

If so which one?

Would it make an enormous difference? Would it introduce any compatibility issues say with using drives connected to it as Boot drives etc. ?

Solution
Don't worry.
The stock 3gb sata will be fine. You might be able to tell the difference with a synthetic benchmark, but not in actual use.
Benchmarks stress the ssd with high queue lengths and unrealistic demands.
I would not bother with a 6gb pci-e controller. That can only detract from your graphics pci-e performance.
Don't worry.
The stock 3gb sata will be fine. You might be able to tell the difference with a synthetic benchmark, but not in actual use.
Benchmarks stress the ssd with high queue lengths and unrealistic demands.
I would not bother with a 6gb pci-e controller. That can only detract from your graphics pci-e performance.

Solution

gel214th

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hi , Well it has been a while and no other answers.
So I assume Geofelt has got it right with his :)

Marking it as best answer and I'll base my SSD purchasing decision this Christmas on reliability, speed and other factors rather than whether the drive is 6GB/s or 3GB/s :)