New 7700k build temps seem high

Bazrazmataz

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
Hi All

Ive just finished a build 7700k custom hardline watercooled loop , im using a dual loop setup this time round so I have the cpu running on a 260mm radiator , its the same rads out my old build which was a 4790k , that ran around 28-30c in idle , games around the 40c mark.

My inital concern with this build is stock the 7700k is running around 33c idle and often gets a sudden spike to 40 for a split second. Im going through the process of reinstalling all my games etc and its hitting 42 , i havent even played any games or OC'd it yet.

Im rather concerned there is something wrong here , rest of my rig is a aorus k5 motherboard , dual 1080s running on another loop with a larger rad.

Is this normal i had herd this cpu runs a tad hotter but mid 40s just running a few installs seems a bit much.

ThePlaneAddict

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Spikes are nothing to worry about. I'm still rocking my 2600k on a custom loop with a 970 and idle temps stay around 28 in the winter. It's not uncommon to see it jump around to 45-50 degrees when opening programs or even just browsing. You have to consider how quickly these processors demand electricity. They will heat up and cool down almost instantly.