Question New 7800x3d, booted once

hatim5152

Commendable
Sep 10, 2020
I bought a new AM5 MSI 650-P and 7800x3d. I updated the BIOS before installing the CPU.

I set everything up, booted and got to POST and the display said “MSI setting up devices.” Then the display went blank.

Now I just can’t get the PC to turn on. The CPU, DRAM debugging led lights and fans turn on but nothing else. I tried resetting the CMOS, resetting the power cords, changing RAMs, updating the BIOS again but still can’t get it to work.

When I remove the 8pin CPU power cords altogether, I get the same response—debugging lights on CPU/RAM and fans spinning.

I am starting to worry that something has killed my CPU. It did turn on once for a a couple of minutes which makes it even more confusing.

What should I try next? RMA?

Edit: apparently others are having similar issues with this motherboard and CPU combo.

Edit 2: I tried removing and reseating the CPU as suggested in another thread but I am still having issues.

Last edited:
The only problems I've seen or heard about in regard to that, or any other MSI motherboard, and the 7800x3d, were voltage related and have been corrected (If you want to hamstringing performance the same thing as correcting a problem) via BIOS updates. The chances are your problem is not due to this specific board and CPU combination, but something else. Especially if it POSTed and then died.

Please list your FULL hardware specifications so that members can actually have some chance of trying to help you. EXACT power supply model. EXACT memory kit model. WHICH slots are the memory modules installed in? Exact graphics card model. Etc.

The first thing that should be done here is probably pull the CPU cooler and CPU and check for bent pins on the motherboard.

D

Deleted member 2838871

As Darkbreeze said... the voltage issues from mid-April have been corrected so if you updated your BIOS as you said that shouldn't be the problem. Please follow the instructions posted.

hatim5152

Commendable
Sep 10, 2020
The only problems I've seen or heard about in regard to that, or any other MSI motherboard, and the 7800x3d, were voltage related and have been corrected (If you want to hamstringing performance the same thing as correcting a problem) via BIOS updates. The chances are your problem is not due to this specific board and CPU combination, but something else. Especially if it POSTed and then died.

Please list your FULL hardware specifications so that members can actually have some chance of trying to help you. EXACT power supply model. EXACT memory kit model. WHICH slots are the memory modules installed in? Exact graphics card model. Etc.

The first thing that should be done here is probably pull the CPU cooler and CPU and check for bent pins on the motherboard.
Thanks, I just found this thread:

That guy has the same motherboard and CPU. I am going to try reseating the CPU and try again.

Specs are:

Dark Rock 4 pro cooler
Corair 680x case
1000w rm1000x (2016) from my last build
G.skill 36cl 6000mhz ddr5 32 gb ram EXPO
msi b650-p
S70 blade 1tb ssd

Haven’t installed my 4090 yet.

hatim5152

Commendable
Sep 10, 2020
I tried removing the CPU and reseating it but I still have the same problem. The CPU does heat up; does that mean anything?

How did you do the bios update? There is a chance that if you didn't reset the settings to default after the update it didn't apply the new voltage settings.
Also if it was from the voltage issue there should be some discoloration on the bottom of the chip (on the pins side) .

D

Deleted member 2838871

Also if it was from the voltage issue there should be some discoloration on the bottom of the chip (on the pins side) .

I've seen a lot with discoloration... but mine had none. It looked exactly the same as it did when I installed it... and it didn't implode until the 3rd day of operation and my only indication was a popping sound coming from the board followed by shutdown.

Seems a bit strange that OP's would die immediately after powering it on... assuming it's the voltage issue and the BIOS update wasn't applied. I'm not sure though... and don't know how quick other systems died in comparison to mine which took 3 days.

hatim5152

Commendable
Sep 10, 2020
I have the latest BIOS installed, and the CPU still heats up. Would it heat up even if it was voltage damaged? I am leaning towards lack of compatibility with the RAM at 6000mhz. Apparently, other people are having issues with EXPO enabled. Unfortunately, how can I disable without have it turn on at all?

D

Deleted member 2838871

I have the latest BIOS installed, and the CPU still heats up. Would it heat up even if it was voltage damaged? I am leaning towards lack of compatibility with the RAM at 6000mhz. Apparently, other people are having issues with EXPO enabled. Unfortunately, how can I disable without have it turn on at all?

I don't know. Mine worked fine until it didn't... and I then rebuilt with a new replacement CPU and board.

Not sure why you'd have 6000mhz ram issues... that's really the sweet spot for Ryzen and AMD recommended.
I personally have had 0 issues with mine since the BIOS and AGESA updates a month ago... and I'm running 6000mhz CL 30 with EXPO enabled.

hatim5152

Commendable
Sep 10, 2020
Tried resetting the CMOS for the nth time and it has booted. I am at the bios and too scared to do anything 😅

D

Deleted member 2838871

Tried resetting the CMOS for the nth time and it has booted. I am at the bios and too scared to do anything 😅

As long as the BIOS is updated you really have nothing to worry about... but if you're that paranoid then disable EXPO. :ROFLMAO:

Install the 4090 and move on. You need to know, many of these AMD systems, and even some Intel ones now, will take SEVERAL attempts at memory training during which time there many not be any display at all, before they will POST and allow you to enter the BIOS and then configure your Windows installation. I've seen some of them with zero display reboot six or seven times, and I mean somewhat long times along the lines of minutes, and then poof, it's good and never does that again.

I'd install your graphics card, then go into the BIOS and make sure you have everything set the way you want it for your Windows installation, since I assume you will be installing a fresh copy of Windows using the custom mode and removing any previous partitions from the boot drive including the hidden, system and EFI partitions, if they are there, and just make sure your various temps all look normal. If your CPU temp isn't normal, then you might have a CPU cooler installation issue that needs a second look.

Or, just go into the BIOS now and make sure all temps look normal, THEN after you are satisfied, install the graphics card and move the display cable.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Install the 4090 and move on. You need to know, many of these AMD systems, and even some Intel ones now, will take SEVERAL attempts at memory training during which time there many not be any display at all, before they will POST and allow you to enter the BIOS and then configure your Windows installation.

100% accurate. Mine took like 5 minutes the initial boot... with the CPU/RAM debug lights on the entire time. I initially thought I had an issue but waited and then I was looking at my BIOS screen.

Much quicker now... but still takes a solid minute from reboot back to the desktop.

Reactions: hatim5152
Well, if you disable hibernation and hybrid sleep in Windows, and then enable fast boot and if it has it on your board, memory fast boot, once you have your BIOS where you are satisfied with it, it will speed things up even more. Hibernation and hybrid sleep are especially guilty as they take time to save your configuration before allowing the system to do anything while it says "Restarting". Plus they just cause other problems too. I wouldn't enable "Ultra fast boot" on any system unless you know for sure you are good and won't need to make any changes to your BIOS configuration for a long time because usually you can't get back into the BIOS even if you are an expert rapid fire key spammer , without pulling the CMOS battery. Besides, it's not that much faster than normal fast boot anyhow.

It makes it MUCH faster though if you have a board that allows you some form of "Memory fast boot" where it simply saves the memory configuration semi-permanently and does not have to retrain ANYTHING each time it boots or restarts. Even just the need to retrain the tertiary timings will add some time to your boot process. But, not every board has this AND the memory fast boot setting is not the same, totally unrelated, to the fast boot settings.

TRENDING THREADS