[SOLVED] new 860 evo sata m.2 not showing up anywhere

arnoldfrea

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
as title says. its not showing up in my device manager, my disk management. or in the my pc section. not sure if i installed it in wrong or what.

i did exactly what the manual told me to do in my msi mpg x570 gaming edge motherboard. in device manager i also now have 3 ! triangles on other devices named PCI device that cant find drivers for them.

after installing it im running into a boat load of issues. i tried installing a fresh windows 10 but that didnt work(my guess because it couldnt find the drive to install)

im lost on what to do, id love to just stay in contact with someone about this so i can try to resolve it asap as the new call of duty is coming out today...

Solution
No, don't change any of those numbers.

Just to be clear, your 860 EVO is NOT an NVMe drive.
It is a SATA III drive, in the M.2 format.
Exactly the same performance as a standard 860 EVO 2.5" drive.

M.2 is just the format...how it plugs in.
It is still miles faster than your current spinning HDD>

So, a clean install on the new SSD.
There is no "somewhat".

arnoldfrea

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
Yeah, I know a little about WIn10...;)

Go for it.
so how would i go with transfering my profile to the new hard drive? would logging in just give me my stuff back? and things like all of my google bookmarks. is some of that stuff as easy as just drag and dropping into the new program file (86)?

and now that the m.2 is installed, in disk management, how do i actually make it usable, since it has a black bar instead of the typical blue ones. it is 1tb

USAFRet

Titan
so how would i go with transfering my profile to the new hard drive? would logging in just give me my stuff back? and things like all of my google bookmarks. is some of that stuff as easy as just drag and dropping into the new program file (86)?

and now that the m.2 is installed, in disk management, how do i actually make it usable, since it has a black bar instead of the typical blue ones. it is 1tb
What other drives do you have in there now?

In Disk Management, right click on that drive. What options does it give you?

arnoldfrea

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
"New Simple Volume" is what you want.
Then, format and give it a drive letter.

For your other question....

You have a 2TB HDD as the C drive?
And it appears to be 90% full?
thats the main reason i got a nvme. i hear the difference between HDD and m.2 is huge so this will have my windows and any games i want to be a little more quicker while programs that i dont care much about but still need will be on that one. im going to do somewhat of a fresh install on the other hard drive too to clear whatever space is just in there that i either didnt know about or dont need. https://puu.sh/EwAU2/149bfe411b.png do i change any of that?

USAFRet

Titan

There is no "somewhat".

Solution

arnoldfrea

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

There is no "somewhat".

im an idiot you're right. i forgot i asked for a ssd.