New 900w PSU, any feedback?

darkreborn

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Hey guys i just had a quick question about this psu i just ordered. I was looking for a new PSU, specifically a good name brand like Antec or Corsair but i decided to give this power supply a shot because of the awesome deal. I ordered this Rocketfish 900w PSU(Also known as Huntkey x7 900w) and was wondering it its any good? I only needed a psu with 600-700w but this was such a cheap deal so i bought it...
Here is the link to it, I bought this for $65 Recertified

http://www.midnightbox.com/cgi-bin/item/10008594-21/search/Rocketfish-RF-900WPS-900-Watt-ATX-CPU-Power-Supply-RF-900WPS.html

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish%26%23153%3B+-+900-Watt+ATX+CPU+Power+Supply/9362049.p?id=1218091959258&skuId=9362049&st=Rocketfish%20RF-900WPS&cp=1&lp=1

ram1009

Distinguished
I would call this particular PSU "unproven" at best however I commend you for seeing the benefits in a higher wattage unit. No matter what the quality level, running a PSU at or near it's limits is never a good idea. Unfortunately, most builders do exactly the opposite and use the smallest/cheapest PSU they can find. I consistently advise against this but I fear I'm pissing in the wind.

DellUser1 - Good link
Did not see any significan negatives (Al heat syncs alittle weak). Their ripple freq measurement method could have been better. Looks like only ripple was PSU generated. Think they used a Max resistive load - would have liked to see "normal" ripple load from a heavy loaded sytem. Although they elluded to in ruch current, no measurements wereprovide. Also I which reviews would specify if unit was "Off-the-shelf", or provided by Manuf (Ie possibly cherry picked as the saying goes).

Would like to see more eval from another source.

Great price, But this is one item from a personal standpoint would not buy as a reconditioned unit. Some computer components are returned for reasons other than failure. For a 900 W PSU about the only reason for return is it failed, I could conclude that they fixed the failed component(s) - But did they catch "stressed components.

darkreborn

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I wont be needing 900w for my build. My build is a phenom II x4 965 BE and a Ge-force 9800 GT which draw the most watts. I also have only 1 dvd-cd combo, 1 sata HD, 2gbx2 ddr2 800 g-skill ram and 4 80nm fans which added all together i assume would only need 650 watts generously. I mean even at full load it will only require not even 700. I only bought this because later on i plan to upgrade my video card and some other stuff. What really puts the cherry on top that its modular and hopefully bring down my temps with a 140nm fan. I also plan to overclock my system safely now. Again thanks for the replies guys.

darkreborn

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Lol you guys are scarring me :sweat: , should i return it and wait for a better deal? I mean it is recertified and i buy recertified/refurbished items all the time with no problem what so ever.

I didn't even take notice of the fact that it's a refurbished unit when I first replied.
I generally don't have a problem buying a refurbished product if the manufacturer is willing to stand behind it, a 30 day warranty from " midnightbox " and no implied manufacturers warranty doesn't give me any warm fuzzy feelings.

makalu

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008

If you want to measure ripple against the ATX specification for allowable ripple then this is the proper way to do it. Really can't be done on a PSU installed in a system and no way to control results against other systems.

makalu
Concur, however I would prefer a noise measurement when connected to the normal load in addition to just measuring the PSU connected to a resistive load. It can be done, but I understand the test bed would there would be a difference due to choice of a test bed. However the current method does not give a good measurement of High frequence rejection (primary source of HF is the Computer). But That is just me.

In General, about Warrenties.
Remember warrenties only cover the end item, NOT what is connected to it. While small there still is a chance that a PSU failure could take out other components. This is also true for the BEST PSU, but normally the percentage would be much lower than the "Average" PSU. 30 day warrenties due not give me a warm fuzzy either. Another question is the number of referbished units out there.

darkreborn

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Well i am using it right now and it seems to be working fine i think. Vcore is 1.38, +3 is 3.33, +5 is 4.95, and +12 is 12.59. Do those numbers look good? I should be able to overclock it right? Thanks again

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
looks generally ok, though that 12V rail is higher than I would expect- I've not seen any PSU I've owned get more than half a volt high on the 12V Rail. You should have enough power to OC though- no worries there. Just watch it when you do- I wouldn't be surprised to see that 12V reading drop as you load it up a little more.

Voltages look fine, as stated.
Are they at idle or under load. What you need to look at are the Loaded voltages.
Also what program are you using to measure these voltages with. ie Bios, Motherboard utility, or a 3rd party program such as CPUID HWMonitor.

Here is what I normally do:
(1) Download CPUID HWMonitor and install then run. Look at the +5V and the +12V. Do they agree with your previous values / Look reasonable.
(2) Download Prime 95 and Furmark. Prime 95 is a great program to check your CPU and GPU for stability while loading the system. Also download Furmark, great program for checking/benchmarking your GPU.
(3) with HWMonitoring running note current/min/max voltages for +5/+12V, now run Prime 95, blend mode (default) for 15 Mins (longer if checking stability), not change in Min voltage. close prime 95 and clear min/max values in HWMonitor. Now run furmark, in window mode, for 10 mins. again not the min voltage.

The +5 should not drop below 4.75 V. The spec for the +12 V is no lower than +11.4 V. MY cavet to that is that it should not drop more than 5% of nominal no load voltage. In your case you are reading 12.6 Volts so a drop of .6 volts would be +11.9/+12.0 V. While the spec says good up to 11.4 V and +12 V is well above this, it would indicate regulation is weak and you should monitor on a periodic bases to insure it is not dropping further as the PSU ages.

Would have provided links, but I'm at work. So just google "HWMonitor", "Prime95" and "Furmark". easy to find, and very easy to use.

Flyinfinni
I see you snuck in a reply while I was writing mine.
On the 5 Volt spec. It is based on the VsubCC min/max for standard TTL logic Chips which is Min => 4.75 V and Max =< than 5.25 V.

The +12 V, Not sure of the driving force, other than 5% sounds reasonable.

On the low end two things Higher Current draw from the GPU, and for the CPU voltage regulators will require a Longer ON time to regulate the Vcore voltage. For this reason I use a Min value of 11.6 V vs the spec of 11.4 V.

On the High end for the +12 V, I like the 12.5/12.6 at idle. As the 12V MB regulators work less (lower On time for PW Modulation). I have two "good" PSU ( one a Corsair 400 W the other an igreen 600 W. One, or both run close to 12.5/12.6 V at Idle. What I'm more concerned about at the High end is that "Cheaper PSUs' set this High to compensate for Poor voltage regulation under load. IE at 12.5 V the PSU could drop 9% before hitting 11.4V which is Lousy regulation, But still within spec.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
RetiredChief- That was exactly my concern on the 12V rail. I was wondering if it was set so high with the intent of staying above the min spec of 11.4V when loaded. All the other numbers looked very normal to me, but I just thought the 12V might be something to watch when the OP starts loading the system more, especially if he gets some big OC's in there.