New 970. Onboard graphics card won't output when the power supply is plugged into the new card.

semisemite

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Hi! Just picked up a new 970 (upgraded from a 760). The onboard graphics won't output when the power supply is plugged into the graphics card, and NVIDIA's driver installer won't detect the 970 even if I plug the power supply in after powering up the system (when the onboard graphics still works). EVGA says is might be a motherboard compatibility issue as my system is from 2011, or it might require a new BIOS (and I have the most recent BIOS release from the manufacturer). Anyone want to give me a hand?

Oh, and please talk to me like I’m an idiot, as I’m still pretty wet behind the ears in the hardware department.

Solution

Apparently I hadn't made sure all the drivers had been deleted. I had gone in through the device manager and taken them out, but they ended up somehow existing in the NVIDIA software as well and were causing a conflict. Cleaned them out, and the card started working. Wish the two tech guys at EVGA had mentioned that instead of going on about the motherboard and the BIOS...

Thanks again for your help. :)

Hi, When graphics card installed, the onboard graphics are automatically disabled, that's why you have to connect the monitor to the graphics card. Make sure that all required PCIe power cables are connected to the card, not only one, or not 6 pin, if 8 pin required.

semisemite

Reputable
May 2, 2016

Thanks for getting back to me. :) Any idea what the next step would be if that's how I started?

semisemite

Reputable
May 2, 2016

Apparently I hadn't made sure all the drivers had been deleted. I had gone in through the device manager and taken them out, but they ended up somehow existing in the NVIDIA software as well and were causing a conflict. Cleaned them out, and the card started working. Wish the two tech guys at EVGA had mentioned that instead of going on about the motherboard and the BIOS...

Thanks again for your help. :)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS