Question (new) 9900k running on 100°C idle with 360mm radiator

Dec 6, 2019
So, yeah. The story begins with me buying a new case. I switch my pc into the new case, start the pc - aaand 90°C CPU, back then it was a 8700k. I chose to delid it, which I wanted to do anyway. So after that it hit 98°C, yeah.
That´s when I thought that the CPU might have broke at some point. I´ve bought a 9900k, put it in - aaand 100°C.

For cooling I use a BeQuiet Silent Loop360, that´s why I think those temperatures are pretty ridiculous. I just filled it up again with the new Corsair Coolant, so it´s not like the radiator was empty.

I´m pretty clueless (and broke) as of now. Does anybody have an idea?

edit: The waterblock get´s crazy hot while the tubes are still cold. What is happening . May it be that the system reading is incorrect?

edit: Ok, so right now it´s running on 70°C idle. I don´t do anything but it seems like it got better. However that´s still way too much in idle. It got to 100°C eventually, just had to let it run some time :(

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
Dumb question but are you sure the pump is working?
Not quite. My Bios software gives me a "current RPM" value for my Pump. Is there any way to confirm it´s working?

edit: So I´ve let it run for a moment, while the CPUs constantly at 100°C, and the tubes are like ice cold, while the waterblock is like really hot.

kanewolf

Titan
Does your motherboard have a "pump" connector? If so, I would connect the waterblock to that. Then connect the fans on the radiator to the CPU fan connection.
Since that pump is a 3 pin connector there might be some incompatibility with the CPU fan connector.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Rather than assuming, can you tell if the pump is running by feeling the tubing? You should feel a constant vibration, especially closer to the pump.

If it is running, your next step is to tap/bump the tubing near the pump up to the radiator with it operational.

If that doesn't solve it, confirm the pump is making contact with the CPU IHS and that the thermal paste is making a good contact patch spread.

Dec 6, 2019
Does your motherboard have a "pump" connector? If so, I would connect the waterblock to that. Then connect the fans on the radiator to the CPU fan connection.
Since that pump is a 3 pin connector there might be some incompatibility with the CPU fan connector.
Yes it does have a pump connector. Previously, before I switched to the new case, it ran just fine with the connector. I have it set-up just like that right now.

Dec 6, 2019
Rather than assuming, can you tell if the pump is running by feeling the tubing? You should feel a constant vibration, especially closer to the pump.

If it is running, your next step is to tap/bump the tubing near the pump up to the radiator with it operational.

If that doesn't solve it, confirm the pump is making contact with the CPU IHS and that the thermal paste is making a good contact patch spread.
I´ve touched the waterblock with the pump inside and it´s vibrating a little. The tubes right next to it aswell but the vibration doesn´t reach very far.

Dec 6, 2019
There are probably pump settings in BIOS, so wouldn't hurt to double check your settings there. You might have cavitation (air bubbles at the pump) which is preventing circulation.
I´ve made sure it set correctly directly after putting the new cpu in. When I filled up the radiator made sure I got all the air out and the AiO is running very silent right now. I think there isn´t any air in there.

How old is the pump/rad unit? Maybe there is a clog somewhere due to buildup of crud inside?

What happens if you pull the pump connector? Can you actually hear any change in sound or feel any change in vibration (with ear and hand at pump while pulling the cable)? I'm thinking there are other sounds and vibrations going on at the same time and we need to ensure the pump is actually spinning. What about the rpm sensor for the pump? What does it say? Use HWiNFO or something like it to find out, if you don't already have software to do so. BIOS should also have this sensor info somewhere.

Dec 6, 2019
How old is the pump/rad unit? Maybe there is a clog somewhere due to buildup of crud inside?

What happens if you pull the pump connector? Can you actually hear any change in sound or feel any change in vibration (with ear and hand at pump while pulling the cable)? I'm thinking there are other sounds and vibrations going on at the same time and we need to ensure the pump is actually spinning. What about the rpm sensor for the pump? What does it say? Use HWiNFO or something like it to find out, if you don't already have software to do so. BIOS should also have this sensor info somewhere.
I bought the AiO back in December of 2017. If there was a buildup of crud, there would be a slow increase in CPU temps (I think?), but it just changed by moving it into the new case (Airflow is good).

I agree that it might be the fans or such creating the vibrations but are you sure that I can just pull the connector out while my System´s running?
My bios + bios software tell me a RPM value for the pump header on the mainboard. It tells me ~2300RPM, it did that all the time.

Well, unless there’s something seriously wrong with the speed sensor for the pump, then it probably is spinning. I wouldn’t make a habit about pulling the plug live, but once shouldn’t hurt. However, alternative would be to shut the pump in BIOS settings and confirm rpm goes to zero. If no diff in temp, then there’s got to be a blockage or air in there. A chunk could have fallen off and gone sideways, causing a quick decline in flow. I would look into methods for thorough flushing of the system if that’s the case.

You could also try reorienting the computer. Which way are the tubes from the pump facing? If downward, then air could be trapped there in the pump and there’s no water for the pump to push and never will be until you change the position so air can flow up and water down.

Dec 6, 2019
You could also try reorienting the computer. Which way are the tubes from the pump facing? If downward, then air could be trapped there in the pump and there’s no water for the pump to push and never will be until you change the position so air can flow up and water down.
Since the temperatures go naturally to 100°C and stay there, I´d have problems finding a difference between pump on/off. The BIOS Software let´s me do a fan calibration where it let´s the fans (and the pump) go to 100% and then to 0% to see and tell me how much RPM it does at which percentage of power. So since it still gives out RPMs for 100%, 90%, 80% and 70% (looks like the pump won´t get any lower), it´s spinning?

Right now it looks like this: View: https://imgur.com/a/NQx2NpX

So the tubes are going up into the radiator, which is mounted vertical.

Dec 6, 2019
If the block is hot but the tubes are cold, there is definitely a break somewhere. Does your system have clear tubes where you can confirm the water is moving? Do you still have an air cooler you could test with?
Sadly, no. They are solid black soft tubes. No way of seeing any flow (no indicator). I have an air cooler from an older PC but it´s 1156 and I have 1151. However, I have ordered one to test it out with. But that´ll arrive some time next week.

It might be your rad orientation and/or fluid level:

49179212532_a5ba012f74_z.jpg

Dec 6, 2019
First, did we mention cpu paste? Is everything ok in that department?

OK, see what happens when your computer is upside down.
The thermal paste should be good. I´ve got MX-4 on the Heatspreader and it should be enough. I didn´t delid the 9900k.

Do you mean turning it upside down, back upright again and then running it, or straight up bootig it while it´s upside down?

Yes, I meant turning the whole pc upside down and running it while upside down. A bit dramatic, admittedly! See my diagram above for the suspected problem. If you want to just flip the radiator instead, try that. Bottom line though is that I believe you don't have enough fluid in there and you might still have a problem with it upside down because the reservoirs on the rad are not that big and it's less tolerant of air in the system as a result.

Last edited:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
There really should not be any air in the radiator, but nearly all AIOs have this problem. And minor correction, the reservoirs being mentioned are actually the radiator tanks which cover/connect the tubes in the rad. The only reason I call mention to this is to prevent confusion between these objects vs. a standalone or add-on reservoir possibly seen elsewhere in a liquid cooling loop (although rarely on an AIO).