[SOLVED] New Acer Aspire 5 slim --

Gregg101

Great
Jul 21, 2019
Hi all, so after asking for recommendations on a laptop, I was informed of the Acer aspire 5 slim laptop, the one thats amazons choice for $349 USD, as being a good choice.

I chose this one, I plan to do a lot of multimedia stuff, maybe use it to type papers in the future. - What else?

Anyways, its been a while since I have had a PC and got really into it like I want to get into this one. My questions are as follows:

1) - What should I do first when I get the new laptop?

2) - Should I leave it in S mode? (
I'm thinking that this is a good idea)

3) - Is there anything that could happen to the laptop that'd make it so it could not be restored to the factory settings? / How do I revert to factory settings?

4) - Do I need to go into the registry at all?

5)- Do I need to do a clean install of windows?

6)- Any additional advice or questions that I forgot to think of?

7) - Anything to do to enhance my studies, become more happy, comfortable, at ease?

Solution
Again, the recovery drive simply gets you to the point here you can use saved backup information. I had not mentioned One drive, which is another good way of backing up your data. The issues I have with One Drive is, depending on how much data and apps you will use, have to buy more storage as the default (free) size is only 5GB and costs $2 @ 100GB after that.

OTOH, there are free after market backup image software that allow you to save the image on a USB https://geekermag.com/best-disk-cloning-software-windows-10/. A lot of people on this forum recommend Mini Partition Wizard Free Edition; I don't have any personal experience, but most of these well known Image/Partition software will do a good job.
In regards to Windows 10 S mode, while it allows some personalization, Windows 10 operating system is pretty much locked down, the only apps you can install will be from the Microsoft Store and any tweaks, registry or other will not be allowed. Further, a clean install will likely disable the S mode. There are a lot more limitations discussed in this link, https://www.howtogeek.com/354057/what-is-windows-10-in-s-mode/

The strength of Windows 10s mode is it's security and stability. Since you will not be able to install any questionable programs, the same restrictions can often protect you from malware. The odds are there will be some method of reloading your software if something goes wrong, however you may need to request an install DVD or USB in case you lose your hard drive. The antivirus duties should be handled by Defender, and make sure to use the OEM backup software. This means you should invest in an exterior drive to save backups; since your drive is only 256GB it doesn't have to be very big; a 1 TB portable exterior hard drive can be bought for less than $50. https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=portable+exterior+hard+drive+1tb&ref=nb_sb_noss

Gregg101

Great
Jul 21, 2019
how do I create a recovery drive? -- Nevermind guys, I figured it out.

How should I create a backup? -- I can probably search or it, but I do appreciate additional commentary from the aficionados here

and can someone tell me about how this laptop compares to the Acer E 15, which was said to be the best budget laptop not that long ago.?

Last edited:
Best is subjective as the two are comparable. Windows 10 has types of backup. The first is Cloud based One drive, which saves your personal files, but will probably require yo yo buy more cloud space and requires an internet connection. the second File History saves automatically updates your personal files it saves on a USB. 3) Backup and Restore (Windows 7) is similar to File History but doesn't automatically updates your personal files and 4) System Image which saves an image of your hard drive (OS, files and apps) which can be installed on a blank hard drive; this requires an exterior hard drive (or a USB that is format to emulate a hard drive). Here is a link that describes them in detail. https://www.howtogeek.com/220986/how-to-use-all-of-windows-10’s-backup-and-recovery-tools/

Gregg101

Great
Jul 21, 2019
Another question, I recently set up my computer, I'm wondering, it says that I need to activate office -- Will Microsoft outlook still work if I don't start the Microsoft office trial? -- Is it only the outlook webite that is for free?

It says -- "Outlook hasn't been activated. To keep using Outlook without interruption, activate before Wednesday, June 10, 2020."

Last edited:

Gregg101

Great
Jul 21, 2019
And isn't there a recovery partition already on the hard drive? - There is a reset this PC option in system settings, -- does this restore it to its factory condition?

No, you don't have to buy Windows Office. I'm not sure about the Outlook activation warning, unless it has to do with setting up a MS account; Windows 10 pretty much needs an MS account to function properly. Yes, there is a recovery partition, but it does not retain any saved files and would be useless if you lost a hard drive.

Gregg101

Great
Jul 21, 2019
Last question, -- Not that I am a big gamer, but occasionally I need a break from my math studies, I really do need something in my spare time so that I can juggle between activities and get some randr in...

What are some good, free, first person shooters that I could play on the laptop? --

Gregg101

Great
Jul 21, 2019
I did some reading on the link that onespeedbiker provided about the various types of backups, I was reading about the system image backup and how it is kind of similar to resetting windows feature, -- I guess that is the route that I am wanting to go. It is the route that I am wanting to go because if the harddrive fails, or if I cant load windows / start the computer then I will not be able to access the reset this pc feature on windows, and I will need to do a system image back, correct?
I just bought a 32GB GB flash stick, can I load a system image backup

and also load individual files folders to the same USB stick?

The windows 10 system image backup, will not let you save an image on a USB, you will need an exterior hard drive. BTW, exterior hard drives are cheaper than USBs; a 1tb exterior hard drive (SSD) will run around $50 or less. A image backup will be at least the size as the space Windows 10 takes up on your hard drive, so the bigger the exterior drive the better. You can use a USB with the File History backup program, which makes regular backups of your personal data. So if you combine a system image with File History, you will be able to recover your system to the date you created the system image and then File History will recover the data up to it's last save, which can be the very day your system crashed.

There are other backup programs you can use to backup your data and use a USB, but the Windows 10 backups are free and do a decent job if you keep up on them.

Gregg101

Great
Jul 21, 2019
I am having trouble creating the system recovery drive > USB

It will load onto the usb drive, but about half way through, it will say Cancelling as soon as I hit the keyboard, and wake it up.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to create the system recovery drive? Do I need to make it so my computer doesn't go to sleep?

Yes, best to prevent your computer from sleeping during the creation of a system recovery media. The reason the creation of the recovery USP is cancelling is because there is a cancel button when you are creating the USP. When you "hit the keyboard" to wake your computer you are pushing the cancel button. BTW, your windows install media USB) in repair mode works the same as a system Recovery media.

No, there is a difference between and anti-virus (Defender) and anti-malware (although there is a lot of overlap) Malwarebytes is pretty much the industry standard. https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Last edited:
The recovery USB simply loads the files for the Recovery Environment that is also done by a Windows install USB. When using the install USB, boot to the Install / Repair page and chose Repair, than you can access the restore with recovery image you created on an external hard drive.