Question New AM3+ config, on 990FX chipset

Apr 26, 2019
Hey guys,

I'm planning on making a new mediocre gaming (SLI) config using motherboards with this chipset, so I'm asking for your opinions.

MB: Asus Crosshair V Formula Z (including non Z) and MSI 990FXA Gaming comes to my mind.
- AM3+, DDR3 @ 2133MHz (O.C.), 42 PCIe 2.0 lanes

CPU: AMD FX 8370/9590
- Both unlocked, compatible with 1866MHz DDR3
I'm confused with is, is this the speed limit or what?
I mean, If I OC (BIOS) the DDR3 to work at 2133, will it work actually at that speed, or it will work at 1866 although showing me 2133?

DDR3: 2x HyperX Savage 8GB (@2133MHz)

GPU (2-way SLI): GTX 590/580 based (PCIe 2.0)
- ASUS ROG MARS II
or
- EVGA GTX 580 CLASSIFIED Ultra

My goal is to make everything work at it's full, so to speak.
  • If MB supports max 2133MHz DDR3, so I'd put those types of modules.
  • If MB supports 16x16x8 on PCIe 2.0, so I'd put two strongest PCIe 2.0 graphics cards in SLI.
And so on... I'm a perfectionist, you can guess my intention. :)

So If you have any thoughts/advice/suggestion about this, please let me know. I would like to hear it.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 26, 2019
Do you have any parts already? This is all obsolete hardware that can be outperformed by modern entry level hardware that is likely cheaper to buy.
- No, I have not, but I can get them very cheaply, still.

Thoughts.... why?

You can't get most of this stuff new, and you can beat the pants off it with a low end gaming build with a Ryzen 5 2400G. Probably cheaper when you're done with it.

Ok, thanks guys.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Also, if you do go this route -- I do not recommend this as entry level Ryzen builds are preferable -- there are a few things to definitely avoid. One, a single RX 580/GTX 1060 is about as much as any AM3+ motherboard can really benefit from. SLI/CF builds scale horribly as it is, you'll get even less benefit than usual.

The other important advice is that while most AM3+ processors are mediocre, do not get a 9590 at any price. It's a money sink that some are unable to ever get stable at its stock. It's literally a poor CPU if you get it for free.

Unless you're incredibly tight on cash and can get the CPU/motherboard/RAM for, under, say, $75 combined, I would absolutely not go here.

Apr 26, 2019
Unless you're incredibly tight... I would absolutely not go here.

Thanks Szymborski.
Yes, I'm very tight on cash, not to a point of starving of course, but, got many important cash-demanding things on my mind, than this. Now come to think of it, I'll rather spend more for something, that'll last, say, 5 years more, than making/upgrading this (quality) junk, that can't even play 10bit H.265 HEVC FHD video.
Now is the time to save money for x570 I guess... :)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Thanks Szymborski.
Yes, I'm very tight on cash, not to a point of starving of course, but, got many important cash-demanding things on my mind, than this. Now come to think of it, I'll rather spend more for something, that'll last, say, 5 years more, than making/upgrading this (quality) junk, that can't even play 10bit H.265 HEVC FHD video.
Now is the time to save money for x570 I guess... :)

You don't need to go x570, but yeah if your plan is for something thats viable for 5 years, this would be the worst use of money, time, and resources.

Let us know your budget and location and someone can come up with a build for you.