dlovan

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2012
Hello all,

So i've recently decide to take the leap and build a new AM5 PC and i ran into a very confusing problem and have been troubleshooting for days to any avail.

The problem is that whenever i put my GPU(gtx 1080) in the first pciex16 slot it simpy doesnt work well or not at all, sometimes the pc wont boot and sometimes it boots but instantly freezes and sometimes it will boot but go to the igpu (even though i dont have a monitor connected to the motherboard).
If i put the GPU in another pcie slot with only x2 speed it works fine.
Now i have tried to force gen3 reinstalled windows multiple times and tried both win 10 and 11, i've tried different power connectors that came with the PSU, i flashed my motherboard's BIOS to the latest version and that didn't work so i flashed to even the latest beta version, i flashed the gtx 1080's bios aswell.

Logically i deduced that it was a faulty motherboard so i send the motherboard back for RMA however when they tested it they told me it works just fine, i asked them what gpu they used but unfortunately correspondance is slow (i live in the Netherlands and customer support is absolute garbage).

So if it's not the BIOS or GPU and not the motherboard then im starting to run out of ideas and i pray to god someone here can help me.

specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Asrock B650 PG Lightning
Corsair Casefan iCUE SP140 RGB Elite Performance (Single Pack), 140mm
Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB Tempered Glass Black Midi Tower Behuizing
Corsair RM850 2021 PSU / PC voeding
G.Skill DDR5 Trident Z5 RGB 2x16GB 6000Mhz CL36 silver F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RS
Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT.

Lutfij

Titan
So if it's not the BIOS or GPU and not the motherboard then im starting to run out of ideas and i pray to god someone here can help me.
View: https://youtu.be/M9D5FXUOIn0?t=2479

This one looked like a dead GPU, turned out to be a faulty soldering job on the first PCIe slot. He reflowed/soldered the slot but I wouldn't suggest doing something of that nature when you have a brand new motherboard, which is definitely going to go through an RMA.

For the sake of relevance, can you state the BIOS version for your motherboard?

reinstalled windows multiple times and tried both win 10 and 11,
Where did you source the installers for the OSes?

dlovan

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2012
I flashed the bios 2 times, one time to the latest non BETA bios and after that i flashed it to the 1.11.AS01 beta bios since it mentioned better GPU performance. Both didn't work.

As for windows, I have an official windows cd that I use to install windows ans then update to win 10//11

Tried it on 2 different m.2 drives (wd blue and samsung 980).

Last edited: