Question New AM5 system won't boot with EXPO memory profile enabled

EbonGaming

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2013
Hello. I have just built a new AM5 system. The CPU, motherboard, RAM and GPU are all new. I re-used the other parts from my previous build. The issue I am having is that the system does not boot when EXPO is enabled in the BIOS. It only boots when I leave the memory at stock settings. The RAM ships with stock speeds of 4800MHz. The advertised EXPO speed, which is clearly displayed on the packaging, is 6000MHz. Here are the relevant specs.

Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk B650 WIFI.

The board ships with a BIOS from May 2023. I have since flashed a newer BIOS version from August 2023. This is the second most recent BIOS release for this board. There is a newer release, but that one is only a beta version.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30. Part number is F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR.

GPU: Asus TUF RTX 4070

PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 650W

I originally used pcpartpicker when I was making the build and this RAM kit was clearly displayed as being compatible with my motherboard. On the MSI QVL list for my board (located here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B650-TOMAHAWK-WIFI/support#mem), it only lists the non-RGB version of my RAM kit (F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N). The part number is exactly the same as my kit except mine has an "R" at the end of it. However on G.Skill's website, it shows my specific RAM kit as being compatible with the motherboard. See here: (https://www.gskill.com/configurator?page=1&cls=1529635169&manufacturer=1524715120&chipset=1665024127&model=1665024624&adSearch2=Capacity§32GB (16GBx2),Tested_Latency§30-38-38-96)

As my specific RAM kit doesn't appear on MSI's QVL, should I just forget further troubleshooting at this point and RMA the RAM? As things stand, I bought the RAM with the intention of running it at its advertised speed using EXPO settings, which is 6000MHz. I am currently only able to run it at 4800MHz. I know it's a long shot, but does anyone else happen to have this specific RAM kit and motherboard combination and has gotten it to work with EXPO at the advertised 6000MHz speed? Thank you for any advice.

Lutfij

Titan
The board ships with a BIOS from May 2023. I have since flashed a newer BIOS version from August 2023. This is the second most recent BIOS release for this board. There is a newer release, but that one is only a beta version.
I'd flash to the latest BIOS, then clear the CMOS. TO do this, power down, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery for 30 minutes. While the battery is out, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to drain residual power from the board. Replace the battery, make sure the rams are populating slots A2 and B2 and then power up.

GPU: Asus TUF RTX 4070
PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 650W

Just my thoughts, I'd have gotten something with 750W at the entire system's disposal.

Oct 9, 2023
I have similar problems with my pc. Using Expo is unstable during restart or booting. In windows my G-skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 with Expo enabled is running fine most of the time. In 99% of the time I restart or cold boot the system I get a BSOD. When I enter the bios after the reset I disable Expo but leave the memory on 6000mhz. I then save F10 and restart. The pc goes to windows. In Z-CPU I see the memory is running at 6000mhz but Expo values are different in SPD. Pc works. So bottom line. There seems to be a problem with Am5, 7800X3D and Expo. I use a MSI X670E AM5 carbon mainboard. I think that you could try to use Expo in the bios and set the memory to 4800mhz. Go step by step a bit higher. The memory is good quality, but the problems are in AM5 I think.
By the way; do you have problems with graphic driver 7800X3d and RTX4070? I also have RTX4070 but in device manager I see also Microsoft basic display adapter. When I try to load a driver for it windows can't find any. Do you see another driver in device manager besides your RTX4070 driver? If so which display adapter? Thanks.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
maybe its MSI with the a issue with there bios updates with ebongaming / Hotstepper both using MSI boards just did a latest bios update on my rog crosshair x670e gene enabled expo no issues !!

maybe scour other forums /reddit and see if other users are having the same issues with MSI boards then contact both MSI and Gskill to see if they can help ..

for reference in my sig i use exactly the same ram on the rog board !!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023
Thanks. I see that there is a newer MSI bios update but it is still beta. I want to wait for the official bios. It is strange that I can use Expo and memory at 6000mhz when I am in windows, but a restart or cold boot gives BSOD problems in many cases. I suspect the NZXT cam software so I disabled that on startup windows and that helps I think, but the main issue I still cannot find. I don't know how to read (mini)dump files so I hope that someone can.
By the way I solved the problem with the graphics driver on the 7800x3D. I have a Radeon Graphics and a RTX4070 in the device manager next to each other.

TRENDING THREADS