Question New AMD 550 RX install, diagonal lines on display, suspect DDU has removed something I'm not aware of ?

Jan 30, 2023
Older machine, Windows 10 Pro, decided to upgrade from integrated Intel graphics on an i5-2500 (running on a Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 board) to a new AMD 550 RX 2GB (OEM) card. Machine has always been rock solid for business use with a lovely sharp image on the Dell U2412M 24" monitor running at its native 1920x1200@60hz.

I used DDU to clean out the previous driver, shutdown, installed the new card and restarted. Installed AMD Adrenalin with the latest driver, rebooted, and noticed the display was not quite right. Thought it was only a font issue. But no, the entire display has fine diagonal lines through it.

See the problem here (click images for 100% view):

View: https://imgur.com/a/krBE38C

In the first image notice the black lines on the truck are jagged, as is the green line on the man's shirt. Second image has very jagged text above ferry video. On the Display image and the calculator image the letters and numbers are wrecked by diagonal lines running top left to bottom right. Smaller/finer text/imagery is almost illegible in some parts of all images, in the Karate Kid graphic, for example..

Initial thoughts were that the card was bad or not seated properly. I removed the card, made sure the slot and connectors were clean and sound, reinstalled. Same issue.

Next I removed the card and re-enabled onboard graphics. Same issue. This was my first clue that it wasn't the new card since the Intel onboard graphics had worked flawlessly for years.

Had my monitor suddenly crapped out at the same time as I installed the new card? Well, I took screenshots (the images above) and viewed them on another machine. They were the same and since a screenshot is not actually of the screen (monitor) but of the video output, it confirmed it was not the monitor. I also attached another DVI cable to the monitor to confirm.

So, it's not the monitor. Or the new AMD card. Or the onboard graphics. But I did use DDU to clean up drivers, etc. and I'm wondering is it's deleted something I'm not aware of that could be causing this issue at a more basic level.

To that point, Windows drivers are all current and show no conflicts or warnings.

I'm really at a loss and I'm hoping someone can give me a clue.

Jan 30, 2023
check the refresh rate
check the display resolution in the amd graphics driver, not windows

did you install the latest AMD drivers from AMD.com and Intel drivers from intel.com?

Yes, refresh is right, and so is res.

Latest drivers installed.

But none of that can explain why the onboard integrated graphics--not involving AMD--are now messed up when for years they have been rock solid and crisp. The only variable is DDU.

Jan 30, 2023
yes, but it is not like a restart. A restart loads everything freshly in Windows 10/11. Shutting down and rebooting loads the cache and everything what was loaded before shutting down. A restart eventually flushes faulty settings and driver issues.

The machine has been restarted many times since this problem manifested.

Yes, refresh is right, and so is res.

Latest drivers installed.

But none of that can explain why the onboard integrated graphics--not involving AMD--are now messed up when for years they have been rock solid and crisp. The only variable is DDU.
You could be right. There's no reason to use DDU if you're upgrading from an IGP to an actual video card because the same drivers that run the Intel chipset also run the IGP and should remain intact.

DDU is only for if you're upgrading video card drivers or changing video card brands. I have no real idea what it did but I would agree with you that it is probably the culprit.

Jan 30, 2023
You could be right. There's no reason to use DDU if you're upgrading from an IGP to an actual video card because the same drivers that run the Intel chipset also run the IGP and should remain intact.

DDU is only for if you're upgrading video card drivers or changing video card brands. I have no real idea what it did but I would agree with you that it is probably the culprit.

Thanks. I have also posted over at the DDU forum. Only one reply that reports the same problem with no solution.

All drivers are up-to-date, with no conflicts or warnings in Device Manager. I even grabbed the Intel chipset drivers directly from Gigabyte's support page for my board and installed them just to make sure.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
yes, but it is not like a restart. A restart loads everything freshly in Windows 10/11. Shutting down and rebooting loads the cache and everything what was loaded before shutting down. A restart eventually flushes faulty settings and driver issues.
Yes I can second that, any pc has to be able too "restart" and "shutdown" and start again without issue, you won't be able to get out from issues if the pc in question can't complete those!

And don't forget that if those don't want to complete in an acceptable time, the hardware reset switch on the pc case, can sort that out, but you still need to complete the procedure afterwards any way. (this is just to get OS working right, doesn't mean that it has anything to do with the op's issue)

Last edited:
Thanks. I have also posted over at the DDU forum. Only one reply that reports the same problem with no solution.

All drivers are up-to-date, with no conflicts or warnings in Device Manager. I even grabbed the Intel chipset drivers directly from Gigabyte's support page for my board and installed them just to make sure.
Yeah, I wish that I had something more to offer you, but I really don't know what you can do at this point that you haven't already tried.

Jan 30, 2023
should be a windows problem in settings
anyways, did you try to install the amd driver wiht the option "clean install"?

you could try to enable or disable some options in windows:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBRaA-9cs2s

Also you can factory reset windows to get all default settings, but you will have to reinstall anything you´ve installed to it
backup important files before

Yes, the AMD driver has been tried with clean install. But as mentioned above it is most certainly a problem in Windows related to DDU.

TRENDING THREADS