New AMD 955 build with HSF and Top fan running hot!!!

mab664

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Ok, so I made a post before i bought my HSF (Arctic Freezer Pro 64), Thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5), and 140mm top fan. My PC was running over 70 degrees Celsius when running Windows Experience Index, Ripping Blu-rays, and playing StarCraft II. Nothing has changed with the 70$ worth of improvements.

I smeared the thermal paste on my CPU with a petco card, put on the HSF without much moving around, and installed the top fan directly over my hsf. My feeling is that the fans are not running fast enough. Below is a pic of my system before the top fans was installed. I leave case open have a large box fan on it while gaming, and ambient room temp is around 25-30 Celsius (hot I know). Also i disabled smart fan control in BIOS to try to get fans to run at max speed. What am I doing wrong?

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
Item #: N82E16820231303
Memory Standard Return Policy
$104.99
ASUS MS236H Glossy Black / White 23" 2ms(GTG) Ring stand and Ergo-fit technology Widescreen LCD Monitor w/HDMI
Item #: N82E16824236081
Monitor Standard Return Policy
LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA WH10LS30 LightScribe Support - OEM
Item #: N82E16827136181
Standard Return Policy
$139.99
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
Item #: N82E16819103808
CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
$159.99
LIAN LI PC-7FN Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811112249
Standard Return Policy
$109.99
GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813128435
Standard Return Policy
$139.99
XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W ATX12V 2.2 / ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power ...
Item #: N82E16817207002
Standard Return Policy
$99.99
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814150447
VGA Standard Return Policy
$169.99

(not on list is 40g intel ssd, and 150g velicorapter)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs129.ash2/39778_10100401809981464_9354880_72733431_2527397_n.jpg

Hi.

That cooler isn't very good. Go with something better like the CM Hyper 212+ or Titan Fenrir (depends of ur budget for the cooler)

And about the thermal paste is better the MX-2, MX-3, TX-2 or TX-3

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I agree, spend the money on a performance HSF, Lapping can be tricky if you are not careful, not to mention if overdone or improperly done is more costly.

I just want to warn you the the "tower" coolers are HUGE, since your case has no side fan/s you shouldn't have a problem.. Measure first before puchasing.

This is the best solution IMHO. You may have to replace your back plate. Since you have a "CPU cutout" things will be easier. I sure was happy that my case also did. Here's of shot of my 955 BE with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus, in a CM Storm Scout case. As you can see I had to lose the top door fan for clearance, I just moved it to the HSF for push/pull. I highly recommend it.

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu70/henrystrawn/DSCN0483.jpg

Running OCCT linpack I top out at 58c @ 4.0 Ghz. There is some "screenies" there of temps if you look around.

Larger cooling is the best solution, aside from returning to stock and not overclocking.

EDIT

I also was running an AC HSF and replaced it with the CM Hyper 212 plus. It did the trick. There is a "before" picture in that album as well.

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu70/henrystrawn/DSCN0474.jpg

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

Not to high jack the tread, but I noticed you are using the Corsair H50. The reviews I have read put it on par with Large air cooling. How has your experience been with it. My rig is not overly noisy, but I have always been curious about the H50. I did read up on it before deciding on the CM Hyper 212 plus. Have you mounted a second 120 fan for push/pull on the radiator?

The OP may also be able to use this info.

EDIT

As an afterthought, I don't "spread" my thermal paste. I use the "line" or "dot" method, depending on the CPU. This allows the cooling block to push the TIM where it needs it, if there are imperfections in the surfaces. I just give the HSF a couple of gentle twists after I have it mounted, and call it good. The key is not to over do it with the thermal paste. Just my opinion, your mileage will vary......

cmcghee358

Distinguished
I use my H50 in a push pull config. I also undervolt my 955.

As of last night my temps are:

1.175 vCore
3.2 GHz
26.4C Ambient

Idle 32C
Load 38C

When I overclock it to 3.7 GHz:
vCore 1.475
Idle 38C
Load 52C

I like it alot, but it's important that you are using the fans as an intake(taking cool outside air in)

And using it in a Push/Pull config.

Also I use IC Diamon 24 TIM

And I have lapped my CPU and Heatsink(lapping an H50 is incredibly hard because you have to hold the radiator and tubing and it fights against a nice even drag across the sandpaper)

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Thanks for the info cmcghee358, I have been very impress with the 955. it spanks my Q9550 system in CPU benches, overclock for overclock. I was undervolting with the AC cooler, to try to cool it down. I run 1.475 volts at 4.0 Ghz. One of the best AMD CPUs I have owned.

The Corsair H50 install video on YT was very specific about the "reversed" direction of the fan intakes for the radiator. I probably would have mounted it in the "traditional" direction had I not watched the video, if I had purchased it. Good info.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
My 955 is a C3 stepping and it is quite the double edged sword.

It takes an incredible amount of voltage for what I consider a standard 3.8GHz clock.

Conversely it sips voltage at the lower end of the spectrum, hence 1.175 @ 3.2GHz.

@ 1.5 vCore I'm stable for 3.8 GHz but nothing higher. If I can ever replace my motherboard that might help.

Ok I'm done hijacking. What was the original question? Oh, try undervolting your CPU some, might help with the heat. Try to find the lowest stable vCore at stock speed. Mine is running pretty cool these days @ 1.175

mab664

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Ok, aside from being pissed that I did a completely noob thing and bought the highest rated HSF on Newegg, I'm hearing that my situation my be salvageable. How do i accomplish undervolting my CPU, what are the effects/dangers there. And if i do feel like getting another HSF whats my best bet... w/o having to remove my top fan. Lastly, should I even be worried about 70-75 temps, whats the worst that could happen? I haven't had any problems so far.. *knocks on wood.

Well, it is exactly that, you lower the voltage instead of increasing it. The worst that i've personally encountered while undervolting is instability. Although to a certain point it will be stable. However it's hard to say for each Mobo its different.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
1st things 1st you need to read through your motherboard manual to be sure which BIOS setting you need to adjust.

Also while you're in the motherboard manual, make sure you clearly understand how to reset your CMOS. What you'll find is, when you begin tweaking your voltage lower the system will eventually crash. Thats not a bad thing, thats simply the minimum threshold. So simply go back to 1 setting higher(voltage) that didn't crash. Ta-da undervolted.

Then find out what your current setting is. Then simply adjust it 1 increment lower. Until it is unstable, then adjust it up 1. To ensure you are stable don't rely on "Does it boot" You want to be able to boot, launch Windows, then run a program called Prime95(google it, it's free) for an hour or 2.

The undervolting isn't dangerous for the CPU or the rig the main purpose of this process is safe power with the max performance possible. In that way, some CPU can run at the stock speed but with less voltage that the stock, for example my CPU comes to 3.2GHz @ 1.35V but I can run it at the same 3.2GHz @ 1.25V this safe power and money for u.

Usually isn't necessary remove the top fan since the case has enough space to fit the CPU cooler without remove anything.

About the temps, are high and the worst that could happen is that ur rig rebooted himself. U need check the proper installation of the CPU cooler and the airflow of ur case.

mab664

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
NEW DEVELOPMENT!!! So I stripped the protection off the blu-ray "Losers" (good movie, watch it), and went to rip it with the software that came with my burner then walked away with a box fan facing the mobo/cpu... I came back 5mins later and my comp had frozen for the first time! Whats worse is that the temp was frozen at 112!!!!!!!!! I nearly @#$% my pants! I restarted the computer and everything works fine (i think). The thing is THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. When I was using the stock cooler i was getting 75ish temps (and successfully ripped avatar) and similar temps with the HSF and supplied paste. The only thing that has changed is the addition of a top fan and the arctic silver 5 thermal paste. I built this PC to multitask, play SC II on ultra, and rip blu-rays! I'm getting about 2/3 of my moneys worth.
A couple more questions
1) does leaving my case open (front and back) destroy the air flow from front to back and increase temps
2) should I take off the HSF (arctic pro 64) and remove then reapply arctic silver 5 (i used 70% alcohol to remove then smeared pee sized amount of paste on cpu last time)
3) should I put stock cooler back on?
4) is OCing in my future? or am i getting ahead of myself with current temps..

cmcghee358

Distinguished
1st of all, are we talking 112C or 112F? If it's reaching 112C then it's a HSF issue. Meaning it's improperly seated or not making any contact, 112C doubles the maximum temp of the AMD 955.