New AMD 955 or i7 build now or wait for windows 7?

mugz12

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Currently I have a fairly old system. It’s an HP a1130n.

System Specs:
300 watt power supply (can’t really get a new graphics card with this)
Amd fx-55 (MoBo can’t handle anything higher)
Ati radeon x800xl (256mb graphics card)
2gb of ram, running windows xp

So my questions are,
1)Should I try and wait for windows 7? Most likely I would upgrade to it from vista
2) Would a 4870 be good for a while with the DX11 cards coming out soon?
3) Should I wait for summer for some possible deals?

And here would be my new system,
-Either an AMD 955 BE or Intel i7 920 (what do you think for gaming? I’m leaning more towards AMD though)
-Ati 4870
- 4 or 8gb of RAM, probably 8 with windows 7
-mobo im not to biased toward any company

Thx in advance, this is my first post here so sorry if I put this in wrong section
Thx,
Mugz

Kinda depends on how you use your computer.
What is your budget now? And what would your budget be after the "wait for summer"?

It's the right section - but did you see the *How To Ask For New Build Advice* sticky topic above?

mugz12

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I use my computer more for gaming, and i don't really want to spend over 1200 ( i can actually get a decent i7 build for that) but AMD is a little cheaper and seems to be just as good for gaming. I don't need to encode anything to fast because that wouldn't be its primary use. Also, would this be a decent upgrade that would last for about 3 years? after summer i would still like to spend the same amount but my computer is getting pretty slow now and rather get something sooner.

I did notice the *How To Ask For New Build Advice*.... unfortunately it was after I posted :p