New AMD based system suddenly shuts down during gaming

Aug 31, 2018
Hello,

Since I built the system I've been experiencing random shutdowns while gaming (it does not happen with every game). It goes into a black screen, as it would if you held the power button until you force shutdown the pc. I though this might be a temperature issue, so I went ahead and replaced the provided thermal compound for some aftermarket one. I've monitored the cpu temperatures and they seem to settle at around 73 Celcius under load (1 hour of IDA64 stability test). The GPU doesnt often go over 60. I have also updated my bios and manually ensured that all my drivers are installed.

It does not happen with every game, and the time at which it happens also tends to vary. When playing the Witcher 3 it happened in about 10 minutes. Game like watchdogs 2 and APB Reloaded are able to run for about 1-2 hours at times without crashing. Other games such as Euro Truck Simulator 2 are able to run without problems for long periods of time without crahing, and it does not crash under regular usage.

The specs are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (not the x version)
Motherboard: Asus Prime B-350 Plus
Ram: 16gb (2x8) G.Skill FlareX Series DDR4 2400Mhz
GPU: XFX Radeon RX580 GTS XXX Edition
PSU: EVGA 600W B1 80+
CPU Cooler: Wraith Spiral

Solution
Ok. Try playing a game that crashed the PC pretty quickly and let the game run while you monitor your voltages. My goal here is not to see a spike in high voltage, but I'm looking for a drop. I suspect that your power supply is failing and the system stops drawing enough power causing a shut down. It may be that the PSU is overheating or just not handling the power load.

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
Do you have the 6+2 pin connector plugged all the way in?

also, get GPU-z and monitor your voltages while you run a stress test.

Check Windows event viewer > System Logs to see what kind of error you're getting

Aug 31, 2018

So I checked the 6+2 conecting to the cpu and it is connected all the way. I have attached pictures of the event log, and will run the stability test with cpuz running

https://www.dropbox.com/s/woeuapbll1uyhz9/Event1_1.PNG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3u3hgz2jakzw1af/Event1_2.PNG?dl=0

Addition***
So far IDA64 stability test has been running for about 12minutes and the core voltage has peaked at 1.112V but averages 1.101V

Aug 31, 2018

I tested 3DMark demo (sorry on a budget) on the highest test I could. It passed the test with no problem. I then tested FurMark for over 20 minutes at the highest settings possible. The peak voltage it reached was 1.212V and it averaged 1.200-1.206V. I also used GPU-z to monitor the test. The one thing I noticed is that caught my eye is that GPU load on GPU-z and FurMark both showed 100% load. The only thing that varied was the Memory Controller load. The combined power draw from GPU, VDDC, and VDDCI peaked at low 300. I doubt it ever passed 330W. The max temperature it reached was 85 Celcius on one test, and 75 on FurMark at max settings.

Should I reinstall GPU drivers?

Something I failed to mention before is that when the PC crashes the lights on the motherboard remain on (fans all stop). To turn it on again I have to physically turn off the PSU, wait a couple of seconds and then turn it back on. It will not turn on again by simply pressing the power button.

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
Ok. Try playing a game that crashed the PC pretty quickly and let the game run while you monitor your voltages. My goal here is not to see a spike in high voltage, but I'm looking for a drop. I suspect that your power supply is failing and the system stops drawing enough power causing a shut down. It may be that the PSU is overheating or just not handling the power load.

Solution
Aug 31, 2018

The witcher 3 did it in about ten minutes. Hopefully I'll have that answer in eleven.

Aug 31, 2018

I love it too, it's one of those games I always come back to after a while and never seem to get bored of it.

I ran the witcher for about two hours and was not able to make it crash. The voltage fluctuated quite a lot but averaged about 1.18-1.21V. I saw it dip down to 1.16 plenty of times, and once to 1.13. Right now having a couple of Chrome tab open its idleing at 1.2063V. I do not know this helps.

Aug 31, 2018

So, I tried today again with a different game (apb reloaded) and I crashed at about the two hour mark. The voltage log I set up failed so I have no way of knowing whether it dropped or not. At this point I am thinking of reinstalling windows, getting a new power supply and maybe a ups as I suspect that there might be drops in power in my house when I did the test with the Witcher 3 last night everyone was asleep and the computer did not crash even after two hours.

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
See, so it was your PSU. I generally would love to suggest to people "Ah, just go buy another PSU and then you should be good to go" But then they want to ask 5 million questions and they get upset when I can't help them break apart their PSU and diagnose the exact cause of the breakdown lol.

Anyway, cheers mate! Enjoy gaming. Play some Witcher for me. I'm stuck at work right now so I'm reading Blood of Elves (the Witcher book series)