New AMD Beta Driver Drops Windows XP Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmelaza

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
That sucks, i still use windows XP for some games who dont run well on Win 7 cause the OS is not supported, but i use an Nvidia card.

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
@aevm, 32% of PC's might still use xp, but what percent of those are used in office buildings, web browsing, only, etc. That leaves a very small percentage of people who still use it for gaming, and I'm betting a very tiny percentage of those people have a modern GPU.

Verrin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
@aevm, as someone else has pointed out, these drivers only impact gamers. Office workers or individuals who only use the OS to check for email aren't impacted. I think a more demographic-appropriate way to determine the number of individuals who use XP but also play games is to check the steam survey. In May, it indicated <10% of its users were running XP. This is much lower than the 32% of all users using XP.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

You can still use 13.5 on XP, you know...

gmkos

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
No surprise or cause for concern as Microsoft themselves are ending support for Windows XP within a year from now, but good to know.

logainofhades

Titan

Agreed!

Have you tried compatibility mode for said games?

jurassic1024

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008

If you want tech and security to progress, forget about XP ffs.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Seems like an odd choice, windows xp still has a large market share.

My concern is playing older games with newer hardware. You can always keep a virtualized install of xp arround for the games. But if the newer hardware stops working on it, then you have a problem.

As long as it still works, even tho its not supported i dont care.

jurassic1024

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008

That's because people are cheap, and don't use a computer for much but the basics. Good for them, but bad for the rest of us that want to see technology progress, not stand still using an OS from 2001.

XP needs to die, and if AMD can give it a little push out the door, I'm all for it.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

Which games are these? i play games dating back to the days of DOS on my windows 7 PC and even though some might have to be tweaked a bit to get to run they all work. 10mins on google normally resolves every issue i've had

also people are making out like AMD have dropped all XP support which is not true, you just wont get the latest updates. Which considering that all new games require you to have vista or above (because of 64bit and yes i know you can get 64bit XP but diver support for it is poor at best) it really makes no difference, if you want to play older games on older hardware with an older OS then you can use the older driver

drbaltazar

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
huge update in my book!fixed a lot of oddity!(xp support is probably gona be optional !witch is a good thing!this update fixed most if not al my issue!not sure since I seem to get a blurriness but it might be the actual web content it self or my setting I ll know more in a week or two once I played around.but so far !god dam this is awesome!im not sure if its me but in gw2 I get about 50% increase in performance compared to before!wehn from 90 to 130 (ish)fps!might be worth it to check if your most demending result you had prior went up or its just an urbn legend on my end!anyway ty for this tom !hadn't notice!

Thorfkin

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
While I prefer they support OS going back as far as possible, Windows XP's architecture is so vastly different from Vista/7 that I'm really not surprised. Removing the XP specific code will likely shrink the download size quite a lot as well as improve performance on Vista/7.

alextheblue

Distinguished
aevm: You're using the most ridiculous statistics. Look at XP share on Steam instead of general marketshare that includes old office PCs and other machines that don't play games. XP share shrinks vastly. Further, if you isolate just gaming systems on Steam with modern graphics capable of playing modern games... XP has virtually no share at all.

This isn't news, they said a long time ago that XP drivers would be put on the back burner, it will see occasional releases (quarterly WHQL or something of that nature - not latest beta drivers). It's three generations of Windows back, and doesn't support modern DirectX. If you play modern games, which need cutting edge driver updates to run their best, you need a newer version of Windows to go with it.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
XP is like the old cow, bessy, that's growing older and can no longer provide milk. It's time for farmer McMicrosoft to take bessy out behind the barn to put her out of her misery. Just die already.

Status
Not open for further replies.