hhill19

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
Specs on build:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Aorus B450m mobo
16gb 2933 MHz ram
Gigabyte 5600 XT 6gb GPU

Alright, so no display at all on boot, GPU fans not spinning, DRAM and CPU status LEDs coming on (DRAM led in particular is constant).

Despite this, all other fans are spinning, including the CPU cooler and both HDDs and the optical drive are coming on.

Connections have been checked and re-checked, put my old working GPU in to validate that wasn't the issue (it didn't come on either), and the PSU is a carry-over from my previous build and I can confirm it was fully functional as of yesterday.

Other random details, PC will only shut off by toggling PSU switch, front power button will only turn on the system, and I'm not entirely sure the USB ports are working, at least for my mouse and keyboard. I've checked that connection as well with no change.

So here's where I'm stuck: is it a CPU issue, a Mobo issue, or an inexplicable PSU issue? Some combo? Don't have a Mobo speaker. Really not sure how to narrow down farther.

Solution
Is it possible that just a ram issue could even cause the full-scale problems I'm seeing?

Also is there a way to attach video of exactly what happens on start-up?
Well, 1 stick causes you to lose out in dual channel capability and it’s gonna be a performance loss even if you get your system up and running. RAM stick could be bad, with 2 sticks you have 2 to test and see if 1 is bad. If 1 is bad you have nothing else to test in there. I would return the RAM and get 2x8GB regardless
Specs on build:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Aorus B450m mobo
16gb 2933 MHz ram
Gigabyte 5600 XT 6gb GPU

Alright, so no display at all on boot, GPU fans not spinning, DRAM and CPU status LEDs coming on (DRAM led in particular is constant).

Despite this, all other fans are spinning, including the CPU cooler and both HDDs and the optical drive are coming on.

Connections have been checked and re-checked, put my old working GPU in to validate that wasn't the issue (it didn't come on either), and the PSU is a carry-over from my previous build and I can confirm it was fully functional as of yesterday.

Other random details, PC will only shut off by toggling PSU switch, front power button will only turn on the system, and I'm not entirely sure the USB ports are working, at least for my mouse and keyboard. I've checked that connection as well with no change.

So here's where I'm stuck: is it a CPU issue, a Mobo issue, or an inexplicable PSU issue? Some combo? Don't have a Mobo speaker. Really not sure how to narrow down farther.
What is the PSU that’s a carry over? How old is it?

hhill19

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
It's a thermaltake toughpower 750w that I bought about 2 years ago. In that time it's seen only about 1.5 years of actual use due to me not bringing my desktop overseas for a while.

Hi hhill19.

I started reading.

Specs on build:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Aorus B450m mobo

Stopped at the board. You have a B450M. This is not BIOS updated to support the 3000 Ryzen series. You need to update the BIOS on that board BEFORE putting the 3700X.

The only motherboard that comes ready for a Ryzen 3000 series in the B450 is the boards with the word "MAX" at the end. Tomahawk MAX etc.

You can lend an AMD CPU from AMD - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit

Or you can buy a Ryzen 2000 series or 1000 series to be able to BIOS update the board.

Or you can bring the board to a local store so they can update it for you.

hhill19

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
Hi hhill19.

I started reading.

Specs on build:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Aorus B450m mobo

Stopped at the board. You have a B450M. This is not BIOS updated to support the 3000 Ryzen series. You need to update the BIOS on that board BEFORE putting the 3700X.

The only motherboard that comes ready for a Ryzen 3000 series in the B450 is the boards with the word "MAX" at the end. Tomahawk MAX etc.

You can lend an AMD CPU from AMD - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit

Or you can buy a Ryzen 2000 series or 1000 series to be able to BIOS update the board.

Or you can bring the board to a local store so they can update it for you.
If that is the genuine issue, then I have a serious beef with Gigabyte, considering that they prominently say "Ryzen 3000 ready" in their advertising and on the box for this motherboard.

That said, I have nothing else to go on, and if I take it by a shop, then they can do that as well as diagnose any actual hardware issues I may be having. That may be my best course of action.

If that is the genuine issue, then I have a serious beef with Gigabyte, considering that they prominently say "Ryzen 3000 ready" in their advertising and on the box for this motherboard.

That said, I have nothing else to go on, and if I take it by a shop, then they can do that as well as diagnose any actual hardware issues I may be having. That may be my best course of action.

If it's on the box then it should work. Sorry I did not ask before saying that. Let me read your post again and start a normal troubleshooting session ;p

hhill19

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
One stick, and I've tried slots 1&4 with no difference. As for DDR4_1 or DDR4_2, I honestly have zero idea. I can't find any info on which it is, and I didn't know there were different specs for that.

Is it possible that just a ram issue could even cause the full-scale problems I'm seeing?

Also is there a way to attach video of exactly what happens on start-up?
Well, 1 stick causes you to lose out in dual channel capability and it’s gonna be a performance loss even if you get your system up and running. RAM stick could be bad, with 2 sticks you have 2 to test and see if 1 is bad. If 1 is bad you have nothing else to test in there. I would return the RAM and get 2x8GB regardless

Solution

hhill19

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
Good to know. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to ram, if you couldn't already tell. I can drop my old ram (which is 2x8) in there and see what happens when I get home.

hhill19

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
As long as it is DDR4 then you can. Just try one stick as well to see if you can get it to boot. Try all RAM slots and each stick individually if it doesn’t boot still.
Thanks for the help, everyone. It was the cheap ram I bought that was ruining everything. I'm so glad I don't have to take the whole thing apart again to swap out the motherboard.

Reactions: bmockeg