New AMD Build repeatedly crashing even in POST

neapstatties

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
New budget build issue

Components
ASRock 970 Pro3, bios version 1.3 (as delivered out of the box)
AMD FX4350 4 core with stock amd fan
16 GB Ram (2x8GB)
msi GTX 960 4 GB graphics
EVGA 600w PSU
USB kbd and mouse
Coolermaster case

System home built out of the box to prove POST (single beep from spkr as it posts) then installed inside the case.

No changes to bios ver 1.3 at all. All components full recognised in POST screens, but that is as far as I have really got....

After about 90 seconds of operation, even if just sat in BIOS, CPU fan spins increasingly fast up to around 4800 rpm then system will crash (black screen, fan madly spinning, no beeps). CPU temp reported by BIOS to be no higher than 38'C (climbed slowly from 32’C with case sides off), considered quite acceptable for a stock cooler. BIOS also reports vcore of 1.264v, 12v at 12.038v, 5v at 5.112v and 3.30v at 3.328v.

My analysis is that the Bios believes a CPU overheat is occurring but reported BIOS temp belies this. I have remounted the CPU block 3 times (cleaned meticulously and applied new quality ICdiamond or coolermaster thermal paste). Satisfied cooler is securely mounted and disassembly reveals good spread, not too much or too little.

I have also reseated graphics card and played memory roulette with no change in the symptoms. Latest bios is v1.4 but suspect that I would not complete flash before system crashes so not doing that at all.

My theory is that the stock cooler is garbage for a CPU of this type so I intend to replace it. Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks,

Neaps

the stock cooler is great but the cpu is garbage , just return your parts to the store and let us build 1 for u.

tvamos

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016

Not garbage at all. I built a 1080 budget gaming PC with fx4300@4.6GHz/212evo/asrock970mPro3/gtx960 and it's great PC for the money.

neapstatties

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016

Turned out to be a faulty graphics card, thanks for reminding me to go back to first principles...