New AMD CEO Gets $1 Million Base Salary

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
now let get going with some new ideas.
New CEO be smart, buy the HP PC Line they are selling it.
this could do you well in the OEM market where intel holds supremacy.
Not that I do not like intel. I have may intel products,. I would just like to keep the compition is check.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Buying HPs line would be a disaster[citation][nom]jdamon113[/nom]now let get going with some new ideas.New CEO be smart, buy the HP PC Line they are selling it. this could do you well in the OEM market where intel holds supremacy.Not that I do not like intel. I have may intel products,. I would just like to keep the compition is check.[/citation]

Buying Hp's line would be a disaster since it would make AMD a direct competitor with Dell, Lenova, Apple, Asus, Acer, etc..... That would be about as smart as 3DFX making its own chipset.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I actually thought their base was more. I expected the leader of AMD to get paid millions right off the bat. Its pleasantly surprising to know AMD pays the boss a good amount for the job, that noone can really complain about.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Before some of you start to wealth envy, that salary seems about right for the job. A million isnt what it used to be. Yeh it would be nice to have that in the bank but really it I could go through it in a couple years at the rate everything is going. I just hope AMD gets its act together with Bulldozer and get competitive again.[/citation]

if you put 1 million into stocks, at about a 7% interest rate a year, which is about what stocks yield at minimum if you don't suck at playing the market, thats 70k on the interest alone. you could theoretically live your entire life off 1 million $ alone. [citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Buying HPs line would be a disasterBuying Hp's line would be a disaster since it would make AMD a direct competitor with Dell, Lenova, Apple, Asus, Acer, etc..... That would be about as smart as 3DFX making its own chipset.[/citation]

yea, but tell me, what to most of those lines put into their own pcs? it sure as hell isnt intel.

what amd could do with the hp line, is use it as a platform to get amd out there. build monster systems, but don't sell it to make a profit, sell it to break even with a minimal profit. this way you are putting out pcs that are of amassing quality, but also cheap, and can get some bran recondition beyond the ati gpus.

it could be a good move, than when the brand recondition is up, sell off the pc devision for a sizable profit, as the pc was just to get brad recondition up, not to pull in the profit, though selling it off for more is a nice bouns.

Jung

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Before some of you start to wealth envy, that salary seems about right for the job. A million isnt what it used to be. Yeh it would be nice to have that in the bank but really it I could go through it in a couple years at the rate everything is going. I just hope AMD gets its act together with Bulldozer and get competitive again.[/citation]

It's not envy, it's disgust. He should a 100K base and the rest performance based.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
i agree, he's getting a cool million and hasn't done anything yet. what ever happened to performance base salary. work harder get paid better.

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Jung[/nom]It's not envy, it's disgust. He should a 100K base and the rest performance based.[/citation]
Good luck attracting the kind of talent required to run a complex business like AMD with a base salary of 100K. Idiot.

Jung

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
[citation][nom]fball922[/nom]Good luck attracting the kind of talent required to run a complex business like AMD with a base salary of 100K. Idiot.[/citation]

I guess you've not worked under many CEOs. Many of them run the company into the ground and get paid big bucks for it. If they are truly talented, then I don't have a problem with them making big bucks, but they should get paid for results. I realize it's its not really setup that way; the system is already hosed.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
sounds very fair

[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Ummm, the purchasing power of the dollar has fallen over 30% in the past 3 years. So yes, that is not such a great salary.http://youtu.be/HMJj7_wc8YY[/citation]
damn, how much you make bro?

vir_cotto

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Ummm, the purchasing power of the dollar has fallen over 30% in the past 3 years. So yes, that is not such a great salary.http://youtu.be/HMJj7_wc8YY[/citation]

That is a GREAT salary, that is a LOT more than I make, and I would not mind making that much, I guarantee you everyone else here wouldn't mind it either!

I do agree that there is massive inflation though.

jujuvivi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Shame on AMD's board of director to pay this price!
For a guy who doesn't know how works a transistor!

The value of a company like AMD comes from the designers and engineers who create its products!

Rory Read will be for nothing if Buldozer is a great success,
but he will get the $:
"150% of base salary plus incentive..."

G

Or they could find 333 Malaysian Ceo's with a degree just like their products lol :)
(250euro/$ a month X 12 = 3000)
Remember multiple cores can do more at the same time so can more Ceo's lol.

Like some guys above me already responded get payed more if you book results, that's a great idea.
Unless ofcourse this guy owns a lot of shares of AMD himself already ;) basically he could pay himself all he wanted.

pazygozo

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Get over yourself geek, the money runs the place. period. Money pays R&D and the world best engineers and manufacturing to make whatever you want to produce, even the most brilliant engineer can produce $hyt if he has no funding. A man in Read's position has to have vision, think 5-10 years in advance of whatever crap you might want to buy by that time, understand the market, take a lot of risks and if he misses the target, not even by much, he will be canon fodder for the company, the media , and the PC geeks we are.
Man, this guys are the gladiators of our time, victory or death, i hope he succeeds!

G

If AMD paid him his one million signon bonus in one dollar bills he'd need a bulldozer to take it to the bank... Oh... wait a minute, AMD doesn't have a usable bulldozer yet.

jujuvivi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Get over yourself geek, the money runs the place. period.
Money pays R&D and the world best engineers and manufacturing to make whatever you want to produce, even the most brilliant engineer can produce $hyt if he has no funding.
sure. That's why they should spent it more carefully,
and not throw it into some executives pockets!

Of course, this is not particular to AMD. Most companies do the same.

A man in Read's position has to have vision
The vision to make processors smaller, faster more efficient and integrated?
The vision to be competitive in all possible markets: Mobile, Smartphone, Laptop, CPU, APU, GPU?
The vision to ask technical experts what is the best so you can repeat them?

Status
Not open for further replies.