New AMD CEO: We Need to Become Predators

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I had a great job at Lenovo – it was awesome. I'm here because I want to be here, and I believe so much in this team and what we can do together.

Aaaand because you're giving me $1 million a year to be here, plus bonuses.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I don't care whether or not they are "predators". I just want some faster and more efficient AMD CPUs with quicker time to market!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i dont like this.

i dont want amd to be a predator. because that means that they will venture into waters not tested and fail, allot, before they succeed.

and who will they unload the cost onto?

what i want them to do is innovate and remain a viable option. i want them to be an open option, i don't want them to close systems off for amd only (think what nvidia does constantly)

please tell me that im not the only one here who sees potential for the amd i support to die.

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]I guess Intel is the Alien then.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]Then who is the cowboy?[/citation]
Loongson !! No?

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i dont like this. i dont want amd to be a predator. because that means that they will venture into waters not tested and fail, allot, before they succeed.and who will they unload the cost onto? what i want them to do is innovate and remain a viable option. i want them to be an open option, i don't want them to close systems off for amd only (think what nvidia does constantly)please tell me that im not the only one here who sees potential for the amd i support to die.[/citation]

Are you kidding me? This is fantastic news. For AMD to provide this innovation you long for so much, it takes an R&D department with money and other resources to pump into it. To be able to acquire those resources requires gaining market share, taking profits that once belonged to your competitor for yourself. To get this market share from someone that's so far ahead of them at the moment, they'll need to get a little rough, cut-throat even.

Don't get me wrong though, it could always backfire on AMD as well. But so can just about any business strategy. I know there's plenty about successful business models/strategies that I don't even know enough about to not even have a clue. But f*** that, I'm excited to see if AMD will take the Predator approach. I want them too.

Game on b*tches

Agges

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Motivational speaker much? CEOs should be driven but putting that many clichés into one speech risks alienating employees..

Oh and nice that AMD is stepping up now :)

Rizlla

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
[citation][nom]ctbaars[/nom]Loongson !! No?[/citation]

Apple Mac. lol. Hopefully they will be able to release their products faster and give Intel more competition in the market for better prices for us.

Competing with Intel in desktop cpu's is AMD's last priority, hence the delays.
They have moved into many other markets and are doing very well. Shipping over 12million APU's in the 2nd quarter alone.
The desktop is dying, and you really don't need a super fast cpu anymore, just a good graphics card.
AMD is making a smart decision by putting most recourses into new products and less into competing in desktop cpu's.

ok...
One thing AMD has going for them is thier experience within the graphics department. If they can combine a 6990 like GPU and a 6 (or 8) core high speed CPU that runs faster than an i7 on one chip with a low price then they could really give Intel and nVidia a run for the money.

I believe AMD is very competative in the graphics card department but they really need to step up thier game in the CPU world.

If they could combine both and slap a low price on it then Intel and nVidia will likely struggle. (FYI, I know there is a chip like that currently out but the graphics capabilities suck.)

G

AMD- predator
Intel - aliens
ARM - Humans who always manage to win in the end while the predators and aliens tear each other apart.
Its gonna be a great show in 2012 :)

If you try to become a "pocket" predator like Intel, I'm gonna friggin' call Arnold!

Bad jokes aside, just try to get more R&D funding, that's all. Money will come it's way from good products, not words.

Cheers!

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]ok...One thing AMD has going for them is thier experience within the graphics department. If they can combine a 6990 like GPU and a 6 (or 8) core high speed CPU that runs faster than an i7 on one chip with a low price then they could really give Intel and nVidia a run for the money.I believe AMD is very competative in the graphics card department but they really need to step up thier game in the CPU world.If they could combine both and slap a low price on it then Intel and nVidia will likely struggle. (FYI, I know there is a chip like that currently out but the graphics capabilities suck.)[/citation]
o_O did you just suggest a 6990 combined with an AMD CPU that is faster than an I7?

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]GeekApproved[/nom]Competing with Intel in desktop cpu's is AMD's last priority, hence the delays.They have moved into many other markets and are doing very well. Shipping over 12million APU's in the 2nd quarter alone.The desktop is dying, and you really don't need a super fast cpu anymore, just a good graphics card. AMD is making a smart decision by putting most recourses into new products and less into competing in desktop cpu's.[/citation]
I agree, CPUs are so cheap right now (thanks to AMD) that you can throw just about any $100 CPU in a PC and it will perform admirably and be able to run pretty much any game you want. A good graphics card is definitely more important than a CPU is if you're going to be gaming. Sure your i5 or i7 might get you 5 more FPS and speed up synthetics but who cares? I will say that I'm starting to hate all of these laptops with i5s and i7s packed with that crappy Intel HD 3000 (ugh). Back to AMD: it's good if AMD can get back to the performance Sandy Bridge i5s and i7s are at right now- but if they can't then it doesn't really matter because out of themselves, nVIDIA and Intel they probably have the best position in the market due to their focus on low-end chips, APUs and their huge graphics presence.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]ok...One thing AMD has going for them is thier experience within the graphics department. If they can combine a 6990 like GPU and a 6 (or 8) core high speed CPU that runs faster than an i7 on one chip with a low price then they could really give Intel and nVidia a run for the money.I believe AMD is very competative in the graphics card department but they really need to step up thier game in the CPU world.If they could combine both and slap a low price on it then Intel and nVidia will likely struggle. (FYI, I know there is a chip like that currently out but the graphics capabilities suck.)[/citation]

6990 + Sandy Bridge type processing power? You might be waiting a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.