New AMD Desktop Road Map?

As I'm not around here much , I'm not sure if this has been posted, but there's been alot of yammering about Dual Core on S939. I was poking around AMD over the past few days lookin at their dual core info and noticed this in my travels;

<A HREF="http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/" target="_new">http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/</A>

Definite confirmation of S939 support and a target date Q4 2005. Well I hope this isn't 'old news' for you guys, cause it sure makes things a little easier in my mind since all AMDs been showing recently is their S940 dual core procs.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
That roadmap isn't an official one. Its an attempt to bring together all rumoured specs/release dates.

As for dual core on S939, I heard Q3, but no one seems to know for sure. Some say it might even happen earlier, some say later. Q3 for DC opteron is pretty much a given though, so I assume AMD could release a DC S939 AFX chip around the same period if they wanted to.

One thing kinda surprised me on that roadmap though.. dual core Semprons next year ? I'll believe that when I see it..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Dualcore Semprons? Doesnt that kind of defeat the point?

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Why?

<b>Ned Flanders said that im a BAD ASS</b> :lol:
Intel 550(3.4)@4.2 Posted 4.6Ghz but unstable
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC2 5300@DDR2 780
ATI Radeon X800XL
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
ATI Radeon X800XL
TT 680W PSU

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You're welcome. :)

<pre>Aren't I helpful today?</pre><p><pre> :eek: <font color=purple>Yes I'm insane, but it's a <font color=blue><i>good</i></font color=blue> kind of <font color=red>crazy</font color=red>. :eek: </font color=purple></pre><p>@ 184K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
With lower yields on dual core, they'd have to be able to convert some of the "not quite A64 performance" die to something sellable. Looks like the semprons will be based on the A64 (Orleans?) with half the cache disabled.

Why is this surprising? I'm sure there will be dual-core celerons as well.

I'm just your average habitual smiler =D

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That brings up another scary thought. Will there be single core CPUs that are actually dual-cored where one of the cores is disabled/failed? :O

<pre> :eek: <font color=purple>Yes I'm insane, but it's a <font color=blue><i>good</i></font color=blue> kind of <font color=red>crazy</font color=red>. :eek: </font color=purple></pre><p>@ 184K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
A more sensible way to recover those dies that don't clock high, is to sell them as opterons. there are plenty of server apps where cheap(er) low(er) clocked, multicore chips make a lot of sense. Also note, that you can still buy 1.4 GHz opterons today..

Unless of course, there is a defect in the cache that can not be recovered, in which case dual core semprons might be a way out. Still, seems like a nightmare to market. how are you going to position higher clocked single core A64's against lower clocked dual core semprons ??

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
No need to doubt it. If and when DDR2 becomes available and affordable at 667 and 800 Mhz speeds, expect AMD to support it. That is what they have said from the beginning.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
800 Mhz is already news. Im running mine around 780 now. Kingston hasnt released it yet, but they have Ram that is well over 800Mhz but there is only 1 board as of now that can run at that speed. I realize this is an AMD discussion and im referring to Intel, but I thought it still indirectly may apply.

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
ATI Radeon X800XL
TT 680W PSU

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
How much does that ram cost that has resonable timings?

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I paid $205.00 with shipping for 512MB of Crucial Ballistix PC2 5300. OCZ has the best timings right now, but its not exactly the same with DDR2. The concept may be, but it will perform better at higher settings than DDR will. Ill get flamed for saying that, but I have 100's of screen shots to back it up. My SiSandra Scores are really high. I can run timmings as low as 3-2-2-6-3 but thats not running it nearly as fast as it will go. When I get up to around 3.7Ghz on the CPU then I bump up to 4-4-4-6-4 and anything over 4Ghz goes up to 4-4-4-8-4 but keep in mind at this point were looking at close to DDR2 800 Most of the DDR2 is still high, but its on the way down.

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
ATI Radeon X800XL
TT 680W PSU

That roadmap isn't an official one. Its an attempt to bring together all rumoured specs/release dates.
True, I realize now that I followed one of their links to another site, AMDboard (which maintained the same themes, which isn't surprising), and it was a prominent list/link there.

In any case, nice to see something a little more 'unified' even if it is essentially InQ type info. Their recent presentations for the S940 opteron dual core hold alot of promise along with their more generalized roadmaps (no mention of sockets and details), but of course not as much as an actual announcement.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Considering how quickly we ran to quality DDR400 with CAS2, I wouldn't be surprised if the get the latency issues in better shape by the fall.
Seriously it's like going from PC2100 to 3200 in a few months, DDR development didn't come that fast, and had the RDRAM promise/hiccup as a nice distraction.

I'm interested in seeing AMD's DDR2 plans considering their statements about supporting it on S940 Opterons without a pin change (I assume using some bridge tointerface with/bypass the on-die memory controller)

Nice to see people pushing the envelope for the rest of us mortals. :cool:

BTW, have you heard anything about Corsair XMS PC3200CL2/LL memory running at CAS2.5 on AMD64s? I was told that rumour when I mentioned matching up another stick of 512 (PRO) for my XMS CL2. Kinda disturbing, but I do need a single stick of 512 for the media PC anyways so if it's true then it just means I'll buy matching sticks of PRO or Xpert (yes OCZ looks great, Patiot would be sweet if available in Canada), but I want stable and monitoring over hevily OCable, unlike y'all whom I can sit back and admire. :wink:

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Funny that you mention that about the Corsair running 2.5 I have been talking back and forth with a couple of different sources :wink: over the last 2 days and that was one subject that was brought up. I can have an answer on that by tonight. In fact im sending an e-mail right now so just remind me this evening. Did you see my #s on the video OC? 459/600 not to shabby eh? That was with one of those Koolance wrap around waterblocks. This particular design is the best that I have seen "That doesnt really mean much however".

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
ATI Radeon X800XL
TT 680W PSU

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
That's where the marketing comes in. AMD knows that Intel is going to market "Dual core everything". I would estimate that the dual core sempron will be priced lower than a single core A64 - but with marketing spin, people will love having a dual core that's really cost efficient. Because with AMD's small manufacturing capacity (when compared with Intel), I would imagine AMD's dual core offerings won't be cheap for some time.

I'm just your average habitual smiler =D

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
It does apply, but the point is still that DDR-667, let alone 800 with reasonable timings, is hardly available in any serious quantity or at reasonable prices. Its not like AMD would move to a new memory interface on the cpu, maybe even socket, just to satisfy the 0.2% of the enthousiast market that doesn't mind paying todays prices.

As it is, DDR2-533 is realistic as a mass market product, but doesn't offer any tangible performance increase over DDR1-400 (if you ignore FSB synch issues). Slightly higher bandwith for slightly worse latencies. With AMDs onboard controller, i'd guess it would pretty much be a wash. Hence, they are not moving.. yet..

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I think that you took part of what I was saying wrong. My statement was a general one about DDR2 alone. Not in relation to AMD or what they were planning on doing in the future. Your correct about 800 not be available however DDR2 667 at reasonable timings is available and the prices have dropped alot.

As it is, DDR2-533 is realistic as a mass market product, but doesn't offer any tangible performance increase over DDR1-400 (if you ignore FSB synch issues). Slightly higher bandwith for slightly worse latencies. With AMDs onboard controller, i'd guess it would pretty much be a wash. Hence, they are not moving.. yet
I understand why you would think that there isnt much of a performance increase. Thats what the reviews at this point have said. This isnt accurate at this point however. DDR2 is showing big performance increases now. Again this wasnt about AMD, I was simply talking about DDR2 itself. What would you consider to be more than a slight increase in bandwidth? I ask because I think that it may shock you to know how much of an increase my DDR2 is capable of.

Oh, BTW my Ballistix PC2 5300 will hit DDR2 800 with good timings.

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
ATI Radeon X800XL
TT 680W PSU

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>What would you consider to be more than a slight increase in
>bandwidth? I ask because I think that it may shock you to
>know how much of an increase my DDR2 is capable of.

If I'm not mistaken, theoretical bandwith increases by 33% going from DDR1-400 to DDR2-533, while latency goes up in similar fashion. That may make sense on a(n overclocked) P4 if you keep the FSb and memory in synch, but it doesn't warrant a new CPU/socket on the AMD platform, where it may not give any real world performance change.

As for your overclocking results, thats interesting for overclockers, and might be a sign of things to come, but then also keep in mind you can buy DDR1-550 that can clock even (considerably) higher..

Don't get me wrong, I don't just want to bash DDR2, and for some, it may make sense, but I'm just saying for AMD at this point, there is no reason to support it yet, unless perhaps for mobiles where the lower power consumption of DDR2 is important.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Im with you! I should have said in the first place that I wasnt considering AMD when I said that. I guess the whole comment was out of place given the topic.

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
ATI Radeon X800XL
TT 680W PSU

TRENDING THREADS