Question New AMD gaming/streaming build

moking01

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
So i will be building a gaming/streaming rig that i will use to also work on engineering softwares like autocad and revit. So this is the part list im thinking of as of right now.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Fb42gw

Couple of things to consider
  • I went with Ryzen 3600. Should i consider 3700x for the mentioned work loads ?
  • The AIO is a bit overkill but i already bought this part for a great price. And....RGB boosts fps, right ?
  • Is this case really good ? Customers reviews say its a decent case but has any of you actually tried it ?
  • I will be building in a month (give or take) for two reasons. 1. To let the first Ryzen wave get fixed from potential bugs 2. Waiting for custome RX 5700 XT models.
  • My budget is limited to $2000ish after shipping. (I dont live in the US/CA so shipping is a bit hefty).
Im open to your ideas...please share :)

Update I will go with ASUS Crosshair Hero VII instead of the Aorus Gaming 7 as the gaming 7 doesnt have a bios flashback.

Last edited:
Hi There,

Good post, clear as day.

IMO, to answer some of your questions:

1. Yes, get the 3700x, it will serve you better than the 3600 in both your work aspect, but specially on the gaming streaming front. The 3600 is no slouch there for sure, but having the extra cores/threads will help keep dropped frames to an absolute min, and the output as high as your happy to set it. The slightly more CPU grunt will also translate to better in game FPS (max/min/avg) and higher settings. It will be nicer for you when playing.

2. If you've got the cooler already then go with it. No, RGB does not increase FPS ;):D

3. Can't tell you about the case. I'm not case crazy. Function over form for me!

4. Good call on the build. Let some stuff iron out, and it may be easier. Being a first adopter is over rated :)

Couple of things about the build.

Ram - Ryzen loves fast ram. The ram chosen is fine. But, the IMC on Ryzen doesn't like 4 sticks too much. I'd suggest going to 2 x 16gb sticks. The reason is the IMC will work with 2 sticks fine at 3200mhz. With 4 DIMMS populated you may only get a max of 2933. It's the draw back of that controller.

Motherboard - The X470 is a decent mobo and should work fine with the newer Ryzen model. You have to make sure the mobo has the most up to date bios for the new chip though. Unless you already have a Ryzen chip you can use, or get the upgrade pack from AMD (which is time consuming). You can get a cheaper or compatible X570 with PCI-e 4 for roughly the same price.

Last edited:
Reactions: moking01
The 3700x would indeed boost performance in your workloads, but the 3600 is still very powerful.
AIO is indeed overkill. The 3700x on the stock RGB cooler would be preferred for your workloads rather than 3600 on the RGB aio.

I helped a friend build in that case. It looks great and is roomy to build in.

I agree with the choice to wait. I would concider a board with bios flashback in case the correct bios isnt on that board.

You could get a better monitor for less money.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $329.00 @ B&H
Motherboard | MSI X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard | $127.89 @ OutletPC
Memory | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $196.98 @ Newegg Business
Storage | Sabrent Rocket 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $39.98 @ Amazon
Storage | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $79.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card | XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card | $399.99 @ B&H
Case | Deepcool MATREXX 55 ATX Mid Tower Case | $57.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $89.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan | Corsair LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fans | $94.89 @ OutletPC
Monitor | Acer KG271U Abmiipx 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor | $249.99 @ Walmart
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1721.58
| Mail-in rebates | -$55.00
| Total | $1666.58
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-05 10:17 EDT-0400 |

I went with Ryzen 3600. Should i consider 3700x for the mentioned work loads ?
Ram - Ryzen loves fast ram. The ram chosen is fine. But, the IMC on Ryzen doesn't like 4 sticks too much. I'd suggest going to 2 x 16gb sticks. The reason is the IMC will work with 2 sticks fine at 3200mhz. With 4 DIMMS populated you may only get a max of 2933. It's the draw back of that controller.
Ah, i overlooked this.

This is something for the op to concider. 2 sticks is best for ryzen

For streaming, I suspect it would be worth going with the 3700X, especially if you plan to keep that hardware for a number of years. If you need to reallocate some money to make that happen, I would move to a less expensive motherboard, as there are plenty of good X470 boards in the sub-$150 range.

Also, I would consider a larger SSD. You can get fairly decent 1TB models for around $100 now, and you will probably want to keep your regularly-played games installed to that drive to improve their load times. SSD prices have dropped enough that hard drives should be mainly left for bulk data storage at this point.

moking01

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
Hi There,

Good post, clear as day.

IMO, to answer some of your questions:

1. Yes, get the 3700x, it will serve you better than the 3600 in both your work aspect, but specially on the gaming streaming front. The 3600 is no slouch there for sure, but having the extra cores/threads will help keep dropped frames to an absolute min, and the output as high as your happy to set it. The slightly more CPU grunt will also translate to better in game FPS (max/min/avg) and higher settings. It will be nicer for you when playing.

2. If you've got the cooler already then go with it. No, RGB does not increase FPS ;):D

3. Can't tell you about the case. I'm not case crazy. Function over form for me!

4. Good call on the build. Let some stuff iron out, and it may be easier. Being a first adopter is over rated :)

Couple of things about the build.

Motherboard - The X470 is a decent mobo and should work fine with the newer Ryzen model. You have to make sure the mobo has the most up to date bios for the new chip though. Unless you already have a Ryzen chip you can use, or get the upgrade pack from AMD (which is time consuming). You can get a cheaper or compatible X570 with PCI-e 4 for roughly the same price.

Great notice on the RAM. I will opt for the 2X16 model then.
I have a Ryzen 1600 that i can use to update the Bios to support 2nd gen Ryzen or flash back it if i sold my CPU. I don't know exactly how the flash back function works but i will sort it out then lol.
Correction Dang i didn't know the Aorus Gaming 7 doesn't have bios flash back.

The 3700x would indeed boost performance in your workloads, but the 3600 is still very powerful.
AIO is indeed overkill. The 3700x on the stock RGB cooler would be preferred for your workloads rather than 3600 on the RGB aio.

I helped a friend build in that case. It looks great and is roomy to build in.

I agree with the choice to wait. I would concider a board with bios flashback in case the correct bios isnt on that board.

You could get a better monitor for less money.

I think i will stretch my budget just a little bit to have the 3700x since i already purchased the AIO. It was that deal that you simply can't say no to.

Thanks for the info about the case.

I honestly don't wanna go 1440p as i play FPS games mostly and i feel more comfortable on 1080p.

For streaming, I suspect it would be worth going with the 3700X, especially if you plan to keep that hardware for a number of years. If you need to reallocate some money to make that happen, I would move to a less expensive motherboard, as there are plenty of good X470 boards in the sub-$150 range.

Also, I would consider a larger SSD. You can get fairly decent 1TB models for around $100 now, and you will probably want to keep your regularly-played games installed to that drive to improve their load times. SSD prices have dropped enough that hard drives should be mainly left for bulk data storage at this point.
Yup thats true mate. I will go with the 3700x but i wont give up the mobo tho.
Any suggestion for a decent and not very expensive -rather cheap- SSD ?

moking01

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
I will be building a full AMD build in a month. A part of which is a H115i Platinum that i already purchased. I tried to install it yesterday in my S340 compact and it just won't fit.

The S340 will not be part of my coming building. I want you to help me decide which case will have enough room for the AIO and a custom RX 5700 XT (considering some models will be around 32CMs long like the 3 fan asus rog).

• Fractal Design Meshify C
  • Deepcool Matexx 55
  • Coolermaster Masterbox NR600
  • Coolermaster MB520
Or any other case in the $90 mark price that is available on Newegg.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
(considering some models will be around 320CMs long like the 3 fan asus rog)
Are you sure the Asus aftermarket RX 5700XT is 320cm long? Since if it is, it would be the longest GPU in the world with a length of 3.2 meters (100cm = 1m).

In any event, here are few more cases with around $90 in Newegg that support 280mm rad and has GPU clearance of 330mm or more. Also, some of them have different color option than shown in pcpp (like Focus G and P400S),
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/2mQRsY,Kg4NnQ,Yzbkcf,VPrmP6/

But since choosing a PC case is personal choice, go with the one that you like the most.

moking01

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
Are you sure the Asus aftermarket RX 5700XT is 320cm long? Since if it is, it would be the longest GPU in the world with a length of 3.2 meters (100cm = 1m).

In any event, here are few more cases with around $90 in Newegg that support 280mm rad and has GPU clearance of 330mm or more. Also, some of them have different color option than shown in pcpp (like Focus G and P400S),
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/2mQRsY,Kg4NnQ,Yzbkcf,VPrmP6/

But since choosing a PC case is personal choice, go with the one that you like the most.
LOL. I thought i wrote mm not cm o_O

moking01

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
Im buying a ryzen 3600 so which board to pair it with ? I thought about the x470 gaming 7 and crosshair vii but they are a bit pricey for my budget.
So now im looking at x470 pro carbon. Is it good enough for some overclocking on the 3600 ? Will i have issues with updating the bios ?

Should i consider the b450 gaming e ? Or any other mobos in general ?

The 3600 is very efficient so you dont need an expensive board.

Older 400 series board may need a bios update for 3rd gem support. I would suggest getting a board that can have the bios updated without a cpu.

What is your budget?
Msi has tons of models that will not need a 2nd gen cpu ahould the bios update be nessisary. A b450 gaming plus, b450 tomahawk, and X470 gaming m7 are just a few.

moking01

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
I know i posted couple of days ago and here i go again since im just about to pull the trigger on my buys, so here we go again. Considering that i stretched my budget just a tiny bit to go as future proof as i possibly can with this build. I will be out of money at this point lol.

CPU: Ryzen 3700x (I wanna overclock)
Mobo: X470 Gaming 7, Croshair Vii hero (non Wi Fi), X470 Gaming M7 AC...Which is the best option ? Im kinda leaning towards the Gaming 7 solely for the dual Bios. But im open to your thoughts.
RAM: 32GB 3200mhz 2x16 Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB
Cooler: H115i Platinum RGB (Purchased)
GPU: RX 5700 XT (waiting for custom models)
SSD: Sabrent Rocket 512GB
PSU: Bitfenix formula 80 gold 750w (same price in where i live as a bronze seasonic)
Case: P400S TG Edition (Ordered via Newegg)
Fan: 3X LL120 RGB Fans
Monitor: Asus MG248QE Or AOC G2590PX (Leaning towards AOC)

Your thoughts are highly appreciated