Question New AMD PC experiencing hangups forcing a hard rest

Nov 20, 2020
New PC experience system hangups forcing a hard reset
System Configuration
CPU - Ryzen 5600x (stock cooling, stock settings)
MOBO - Gigabyte Aorus Pro AC B550 BIOS vers F11N
RAM - Oloy 4x8 3600 CL16
GPU - Asus Rtx 3070 Dual OC (driver 460.89)
OS - Windows 10 Pro Vers 20H2
PSU - Corsair 850 RXM
Applications Involved:
Citrix Reciever 4.12
Spotify 1.1.48.625.g1c87c7f7
Firefox 84.0.1 64 bit
So far its happened 3 times this week; always when i’ve been remoted into work with Citrix Desktop Receiver version 4.12. It has happened twice while watching a VOD on twitch in firefox, and again today while using Spotify. The VOD or spotify freezes, audio glitching in Spotify’s case and the vod will just show a spinning loading symbol but cant do anything. Refreshing doesnt work. Task manager performance data stops reporting - it appears stuck. Taskbar items dont display, “ghost”, etc. if i try to search something in the spotlight style search, its just a blank text box. Programs wont launch, and if i force quit a program, in the taskbar its icon will act like its still open. Weirdly, my remote desktop is completely responsive - i can continue working in the citrix window with no issue but basically nothing else works. If i try to restart through windows, i just get the spinning dot symbol. When i restart, the windows spotlight lock screen is returned to the default image you first get before it loads more for you.
I cannot find any errors or warnings in event viewer at this time except for the typical hard restart one. I ran /sfc scannow on tuesday and it found some corrupt files it fixed, which id hoped would be the end of it, which was not the case. I get no BSOD error code or error code of any kind, which makes even beginning where to diagnose a nightmare. Only clues from Event Viewer around this time:
"Catalog Database (4744,D,12) Catalog Database: The database format feature version 9080 (0x2378) could not be used due to the current database format 1568.20.0, controlled by the parameter 0x410022D8 (8920 | JET_efvAllowHigherPersistedFormat)." ESENT Event ID 642
and
"The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{6B3B8D23-FA8D-40B9-8DBD-B950333E2C52}
and APPID
{4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool." Source Distributed COM EventID 10016

And Screenshot of what task manager is stuck at (HWMonitor also stops reporting/refreshing any data as well)
View: https://imgur.com/a/gPDQp2Y

First AMD build after over a decade of using intels, and this and other issues i’ve had with it in under a week is not leaving a good impression. Hope someone has any idea whats going on!

Last edited:
New PC experience system hangups forcing a hard reset
System Configuration
CPU - Ryzen 5600x (stock cooling, stock settings)
MOBO - Gigabyte Aorus Pro AC B550 BIOS vers F11N
RAM - Oloy 4x8 3600 CL16
GPU - Asus Rtx 3070 Dual OC (driver 460.89)
OS - Windows 10 Pro Vers 20H2
PSU - Corsair 850 RXM
Applications Involved:
Citrix Reciever 4.12
Spotify 1.1.48.625.g1c87c7f7
Firefox 84.0.1 64 bit
So far its happened 3 times this week; always when i’ve been remoted into work with Citrix Desktop Receiver version 4.12. It has happened twice while watching a VOD on twitch in firefox, and again today while using Spotify. The VOD or spotify freezes, audio glitching in Spotify’s case and the vod will just show a spinning loading symbol but cant do anything. Refreshing doesnt work. Task manager performance data stops reporting - it appears stuck. Taskbar items dont display, “ghost”, etc. if i try to search something in the spotlight style search, its just a blank text box. Programs wont launch, and if i force quit a program, in the taskbar its icon will act like its still open. Weirdly, my remote desktop is completely responsive - i can continue working in the citrix window with no issue but basically nothing else works. If i try to restart through windows, i just get the spinning dot symbol. When i restart, the windows spotlight lock screen is returned to the default image you first get before it loads more for you.
I cannot find any errors or warnings in event viewer at this time except for the typical hard restart one. I ran /sfc scannow on tuesday and it found some corrupt files it fixed, which id hoped would be the end of it, which was not the case. I get no BSOD error code or error code of any kind, which makes even beginning where to diagnose a nightmare. Only clues from Event Viewer around this time:
"Catalog Database (4744,D,12) Catalog Database: The database format feature version 9080 (0x2378) could not be used due to the current database format 1568.20.0, controlled by the parameter 0x410022D8 (8920 | JET_efvAllowHigherPersistedFormat)." ESENT Event ID 642
and
"The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{6B3B8D23-FA8D-40B9-8DBD-B950333E2C52}
and APPID
{4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool." Source Distributed COM EventID 10016

And Screenshot of what task manager is stuck at (HWMonitor also stops reporting/refreshing any data as well)
View: https://imgur.com/a/gPDQp2Y

First AMD build after over a decade of using intels, and this and other issues i’ve had with it in under a week is not leaving a good impression. Hope someone has any idea whats going on!
Update BIOS if you haven't and be sure to reset CMOS...even if you don't update it reset CMOS if you never have.

Also, if you enabled 3600 memory by setting XMP you should set the DRAM voltage MANUALLY as many motherboard BIOS's are not setting the XMP voltage as they should. Look on the memory package for the voltage it recommends but you can set it up to 1.4V (DDR4 is good as high as 1.5, but 1.4 is the highest recommended for 24/7).

Also: I think most people get those EventID 10016 errors in EventLog. They'renothing to worry about as Windows just uses an alternate code path to do the same thing but displays the error anyway.

Nov 20, 2020
Can report I also had issues with Magic Online - program would randomly freeze up before resolving actions like clicks or mouse movement.
Update BIOS if you haven't and be sure to reset CMOS...even if you don't update it reset CMOS if you never have.

Also, if you enabled 3600 memory by setting XMP you should set the DRAM voltage MANUALLY as many motherboard BIOS's are not setting the XMP voltage as they should. Look on the memory package for the voltage it recommends but you can set it up to 1.4V (DDR4 is good as high as 1.5, but 1.4 is the highest recommended for 24/7).

Also: I think most people get those EventID 10016 errors in EventLog. They'renothing to worry about as Windows just uses an alternate code path to do the same thing but displays the error anyway.
yeah i updated BIOS last night to F11p, got a new hangup using Magic Online and Google Meet, mouse movement/action in Magic Online would hang/be non responsive for a second or so then show the movement. Running memtest 86 right now and seeing if anything comes up on that, then going to test disabling c states and AMD cool n quiet