News New AMD-Powered NUCs: Sapphire Crams in New Embedded Ryzen SoCs

Feb 25, 2020
Dang, I literally just a built a new router using an Athlon 3000g. Total system power is about 24watts at idle, which isn't horrible. But if these embedded Ryzen's can do CAKE at 1gbps, I might be tempted to switch up depending on the idle wattage.

In a similar vein to you, I just snagged an itx board with the R1505G for ~$100 on eBay. While I’d love a sapphire board or mini PC the pricing has often turned me off from such solutions for a non-essential computer.

I have a mixed architecture Kubernetes cluster at home for not only learning but also for self-hosting a number of things. (Plex, Minecraft, pihole, etc.). I wanted the cluster to use as little power as possible while still serving my needs/curiosity.

Master node: Epyc 7252 8 Core 64GB ECC 120W TDP (Heavy x86 apps) - Ebay snag paired with Supermicro board that supports Redfish (Ansible)

Worker 1: 25W Ryzen R1505G on this board paired with 16GB 3200Mhz ram. https://us.dfi.com/product/index/1404
Pihole, and most of my home network services run here.

Worker 2: Raspberry Pi 4 4GB. In the process of flashing the WIP UEFI firmware for the pi, but this will be the ARM node.

Storage will be handled by the upcoming Helios64 ARM NAS. Cannot wait to replace the 9W Intel CPU that’s in my current synology. That’s the last intel CPU I’ll ever own.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Reactions: hannibal
In a similar vein to you, I just snagged an itx board with the R1505G for ~$100 on eBay. While I’d love a sapphire board or mini PC the pricing has often turned me off from such solutions for a non-essential computer.

I have a mixed architecture Kubernetes cluster at home for not only learning but also for self-hosting a number of things. (Plex, Minecraft, pihole, etc.). I wanted the cluster to use as little power as possible while still serving my needs/curiosity.

Master node: Epyc 7252 8 Core 64GB ECC 120W TDP (Heavy x86 apps) - Ebay snag paired with Supermicro board that supports Redfish (Ansible)

Worker 1: 25W Ryzen R1505G on this board paired with 16GB 3200Mhz ram. https://us.dfi.com/product/index/1404
Pihole, and most of my home network services run here.

Worker 2: Raspberry Pi 4 4GB. In the process of flashing the WIP UEFI firmware for the pi, but this will be the ARM node.

Storage will be handled by the upcoming Helios64 ARM NAS. Cannot wait to replace the 9W Intel CPU that’s in my current synology. That’s the last intel CPU I’ll ever own.

With that much power (Ryzen R1505G) Why not run pfSense? Why Pihole? Not saying it's the wrong decision, but I thought piHole was mostly to divert ads and tracking. Couldn't you do that with pfSense and pfBlockerNG?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
sorry then, I remember I've seen something non-14 in that stack.
maybe it was R series vs V series?

I will try to dig it out, but it was when V/R embeded were announced not sure if I will find it now....
Yeah, I'd assume they have some embedded products @ 12 nm. I didn't look too hard, but I think they didn't exactly make these products easy to browse. If I'd found any, I would've posted them.

Reactions: hannibal