[SOLVED] New AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU Boosting above base clockspeed causing high temps

StriiderHD

Honorable
Dec 7, 2014
Just recently upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU using a MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX Motherboard and I noticed it would run at 4.1GHz while idling reaching temps around 60c. I am using the stock cooler and I am worried that the CPU will overheat.
I played a game for approx. 5 min to test if this would have any effect on the temperature and I found it reaching 80c and higher occasionally.

Is there anyway to limit the speed it boosts too? (Note I am not comfortable with overclocking/using BIOS as I have never thought about OC with previous CPUs)

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I certainly will get more airflow through the system as soon as however if there anyway to stop the CPU from boosting itself just for the moment to stop the high temps ?
That boosting is the way Ryzen works. It's typical and by design so nothing to worry about. It will boost a single core to max boost clock for a light bursty load to get it completed quickly and then put the core back to sleep; they call it a 'rush to idle'. There are dozens of temp sensors all over the cpu and the spike is the hottest one at the moment, in one tiny spot of the CPU. It's not thermally significant.

Instead look at an average temp reading to get a true thermal state of the CPU...use HWinfo64 and look at Temp die (average) or Ryzenmaster's...

StriiderHD

Honorable
Dec 7, 2014
It should hit that frequency but not that temp. while gaming. What cooler do you have? What case and how many case fans?
Im using the stock cooler included so think it is a Wraith Stealth Cooler. And only one intake fan so maybe that doesn't help. But with my previous Intel CPU It never reached this high whilst playing games.

I certainly will get more airflow through the system as soon as however if there anyway to stop the CPU from boosting itself just for the moment to stop the high temps ?
That boosting is the way Ryzen works. It's typical and by design so nothing to worry about. It will boost a single core to max boost clock for a light bursty load to get it completed quickly and then put the core back to sleep; they call it a 'rush to idle'. There are dozens of temp sensors all over the cpu and the spike is the hottest one at the moment, in one tiny spot of the CPU. It's not thermally significant.

Instead look at an average temp reading to get a true thermal state of the CPU...use HWinfo64 and look at Temp die (average) or Ryzenmaster's temp readout.

Also, not just better airflow but better CPU cooling than stock. The Wraithe Stealth on a 3600 really isn't enough when it's working really hard. Even though an average temperature in the 80's isn't exactly harmful it will boost less aggressively above the mid 70's, so it's losing performance.

Reactions: StriiderHD
Solution

StriiderHD

Honorable
Dec 7, 2014

Instead look at an average temp reading to get a true thermal state of the CPU...use HWinfo64 and look at Temp die (average) or Ryzenmaster's temp readout.

Also, not just better airflow but better CPU cooling than stock. The Wraithe Stealth on a 3600 really isn't enough when it's working really hard. Even though an average temperature in the 80's isn't exactly harmful it will boost less aggressively above the mid 70's, so it's losing performance.

Okay thank you for your reply. As long as I know Im not accidently burning my new CPU unintentionally then all is good. 80-85c seemed really high to me so i assumed something was wrong.

What aftermarket cooler would you recommend ?

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I know youve selected a solution but what motherboard are you running that on what i did on my MSI board was go into bios and under OC settings turned off the boost clocks ,,, it never exceeds 1.000v now and runs cool but i also have a beefy cooler on my processor which helps