New amp/sub setup Bigger Question

jmcqueen02

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
Ok, this may be redundant, but bare with me. Setup is alpine mrv-m500 mono to a kicker 07cvr122. In a 5 series BMW, so sound dampening IS a huge factor...This vehicle doesn't allow sound from the back. No pun intended. Anywho...I put the sub in a 2 cu.ft sealed box with 1.75 lbs of polyfill. My question is should I wire just one coil for a 2 ohm final, both coils to a 4 ohm, or beat it down parallel to a 1 ohm final? I know the amp is rated for 2 ohms, but what would give me some thunder, at least INSIDE the car? No sarcastic answers...Thanks in advance guys!

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Specs on that speaker suggest a box volume of 1 to 4.6 cu ft. You might want to consider a ported box instead of a sealed one.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your choice of amp, other than I don't think it's the best match for the speaker you chose if your intended goal is load booming ghetto bass. I'd recommend that amp for someone looking to compliment the existing bass in the car for a deeper soundscape.

If you wire it for 4 ohms, you can only get 300w from the amp to drive your speaker. At 2ohms I think you can achieve cleaner bass, but it won't be as loud and you can blow the speaker if you attempt to crank it all the way up as it'll output more than the speaker will handle (i think). 1 ohm is not recommended for that amp.

I do not claim to be an expert on car audio.

jmcqueen02

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I disagree with the first response I received. I think Alpine makes great amplifiers. As you said, 500 watts @ 2ohms won't produce ghetto bass, but that isn't the goal. As I stated in the op, I'm hoping for clean bass that can penetrate a bmw trunk and can be heard in the cabin. I'm not trying to impress anyone, and maybe I overspoke, initially. So another question... The sub is a dvc 2ohm rated at 500 rms and the amp is the same @ 2 ohms, why not wire one coil only to a 2ohm final? This would max the amplifier, and meet 100% of the sub's capability, that being said, you stated this amp wouldn't be your first choice, so what size/model would be? Also, i have two 07cvr104's sitting in storage. Would those be a better option? If so, how should I wire them with the same amplifier?

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
I don't think you'll have a problem with either setup in the bmw. It might be well insulated but you should get enough punch to feel it in the car. I used a 600w alpine in a jaguar and it was plenty loud in the cabin. I had two alpine 12's Type-S. Considering putting them in my 3-series instead.

You don't want to max the amp, you'll be much more likely to get distortion.

I didn't say Alpine doesn't make good amplifiers, I said the one you have is junk as in it absolutely would not handle being driven beyond rated.