[SOLVED] New Ampere Build

Diogo505

Reputable
Apr 6, 2020
Do you think the 3090 is worth it at double the price of the 3080, or should I just get a system with the 3080 when they become available?

Solution
I was thinking of 4k60, do you think the 3080 is capable of that or should I go for the 3090?

A 3080 is more than enough for a 4k 60Hz monitor. That's basically the same monitor that I am running now and I can run my 2070 and it still handles everything I can throw at it.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Almost certainly not "worth it", but the users who buy the top tier card from the off are not usually too concerned with "worth it", they just want 'the best'.

As for whether a 3080 is the card for you, really depends on your needs/use-case/budget.

Diogo505

Reputable
Apr 6, 2020
Almost certainly not "worth it", but the users who buy the top tier card from the off are not usually too concerned with "worth it", they just want 'the best'.

As for whether a 3080 is the card for you, really depends on your needs/use-case/budget.

Thanks for the reply,

I have a laptop with a 1070 and an insane 4K G-Sync 15.6" screen, which, unsurprisingly, can't run recent games at the screen's resolution, the last one it ran acceptably was Resident Evil 2 I think, and I wanted something which ran games at 4k60. I also have Xbox One X and Ps4 PRO, and I wanted something much better than those, since I intend on skipping the next generation of consoles for at least a few years. Oh and budget is pretty much unlimited but I would like to keep it at 3000€ max for the tower for value reasons.

g-unit1111

Titan
I'd say that it entirely depends on what your monitor setup is going to be. If you're running just a 60 - 120Hz monitor, then forget it. If you're running like triple 240Hz 1ms monitors or you're going VR then I could see it being worth it. But yeah what GPU you get almost entirely depends on your display configuration.

Diogo505

Reputable
Apr 6, 2020
I'd say that it entirely depends on what your monitor setup is going to be. If you're running just a 60 - 120Hz monitor, then forget it. If you're running like triple 240Hz 1ms monitors or you're going VR then I could see it being worth it. But yeah what GPU you get almost entirely depends on your display configuration.

I was thinking of 4k60, do you think the 3080 is capable of that or should I go for the 3090?