New and mono to replace one that won't post

sololuke16

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I have an amd phenom 2 970be x4,
Nvidia 770 4gb
And I believe 240 pin ram 133 my

I built this computer around 2012 and my current mono I think is dead. I turn it on and no beeps and the fans run. I tried putting a different stick of ram in it that is good and it did the same thing. I unplugged the graphics card because I knew that I would get some beer error code from that but my mono did not ever beep any times while trying to boot. I cleared cmos by moving the jumper to pins 2 and 3, no difference. I have a newish psu, it is a good series from corsair around 700watts I believe and have plenty of headroom, it is quite unlikely that it failed.
I could do more trouble shooting but I don't think it will help... which brings me to the idea that after I try a different gpu tomorrow, and on Thursday my buddies extra pay I will likely want to buy a new mobo and if I still have issues replacing the cpu.

My question i have is which mobo to buy? I really want an am3+ because i can save money not buying a new cpu also. I figure if i get a new mobo I should get one with the newest or best chipset for gaming, and one that has the fastest ram, my current speed is 1333 mhz and I want one that is compatible with the best out there right now and not necessarily compatible with what I have now. I will only run one gpu at a time and I do not to upgrade past 16gb ram in the future, I am not interested in a micro mb and I would like a couple sub 3.0 ports, at least 4 sata connectors, preferably 6 and an optical headphone jack as well as being compatible with a dual link dvi monitor because I can get up to 144 fps that way, I believe it is dvi-I output.

Any mobo advice/recommendations as well as any troubleshooting tips are much appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Solution
AM3+ is needed only for FX processors, Phenom II would work on AM3. Problem is, nobody makes either them any more. With that CPU you don't need to invest in any faster RAM. If it shows that MB is really dead I would just grab any AM3 or + MB I could find. All of it is soooo obsolete.
AM3+ is needed only for FX processors, Phenom II would work on AM3. Problem is, nobody makes either them any more. With that CPU you don't need to invest in any faster RAM. If it shows that MB is really dead I would just grab any AM3 or + MB I could find. All of it is soooo obsolete.

Solution