New and old HDDs suddenly not detected!

Zach_Ganta

Commendable
May 20, 2016
Hi guys,
so recently I bought myself another HDD for additional game storage (1TB, Seagate). I hook up power and SATA, but it isn't detected in windows or bios. I rearrange the SATA cables, and suddenly one of my other HDD can no longer be detected (1TB, WD). I change power, SATA cables, update BIOS, and... nothing.
I panic and buy another HDD (1TB, WD) and connect it, disconnecting the 2 non-working drives. It's not being detected either. What's confusing is apparently all the SATA ports on the motherboard still work since I tested out each one by connecting it to my CD drive.

Am I unlucky and just bought 3 separate drives that all failed? Am I crazy? I don't know. I'm all ears for suggestions.

My Build (not including the 3 non-functioning drives) just so everyone knows... :
i5-4690K CPU
Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer Motherboard
EVGA GTX 970 GPU
SSD Samsung EVO 840, 250 Gb
HDD 1TB, WD
Thermaltake 850W PSU

Solution

Hey there again, Zach_Ganta!

This seems pretty unfortunate! I'd suggest you try connecting the HDDs one-by-one and see if that will get them properly detected. I'd again recommend you try recognizing them from another system/computer (if you have access to one). I guess you might also want to take the whole rig to a PC repair service shot and let the guys there perform full...
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, Zach_Ganta!

I'm sorry to hear about your detection issues with the WD drives! :( You've done a really great job with the troubleshooting! I'd suggest you check if the drives will be recognized in the BIOS and Device Manager at least. I'd also suggest you go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and make sure you go thte latest SATA controller and Chipset drivers manually installed from there. If you have access to another computer, I'd suggest you plug your WD HDDs there to see how they will be detected.

Keep me posted!
SuperSoph_WD

Zach_Ganta

Commendable
May 20, 2016
Thanks for the advice. I downloaded the APP Shop from Asrock's website and got all the latest drivers and whatnot, but non of the 3 HDDs are being detected in BIOS, device manager, etc. I fear it may be a problem with the motherboard, since I had an issue with this model previously and had to RMA it. At any rate, I'll post if things change... fingers crossed.

Hey there again, Zach_Ganta!

This seems pretty unfortunate! I'd suggest you try connecting the HDDs one-by-one and see if that will get them properly detected. I'd again recommend you try recognizing them from another system/computer (if you have access to one). I guess you might also want to take the whole rig to a PC repair service shot and let the guys there perform full diagnostics on it. They will easily find the source of your troubles and, hopefully, assist you in resolving it.

Best of luck! Keep me posted with the HDD troubleshooting, though.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS