[SOLVED] New and unused PSU smell

Hi. I recently purchased a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750 PSU. A few days ago, when I unboxed it, I noticed a chemically smell that has put me off installing it. I haven't even plugged it in and it has this odor. I can still return it to Micro Center but from what I'm reading here (mainly posts by jonnyguru), maybe the smell isn't a problem at all? What do you recommend? Should I install it or maybe return it? This is a new build with new components (motherboard, cpu, ram, m.2 pcie ssd) and I'm a bit concerned that a faulty PSU could fry my other new components.

Solution
Update: The Seasonic PSU is working fine. Last week I tried the paperclip method to test the PSU and it came on without any issues. I decided to build up my case with all the new components, including the PSU, and give it a go. The system posted just fine, all fans spinning and I was in the BIOS. Voltage looked fine on all the rails. After a BIOS update on my motherboard, I installed Windows 10 without any issues.

I'm not sure what happened with the initial test with the old motherboard. Maybe I should have triple checked the connections.

Bottom line: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750 is working just fine. I retract my negative comments and thoughts about Seasonic.
Glad to hear it my friend. I can completely understand the...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

As you would have probably previously seen, a strange smell from a new PSU is not uncommon. I would highly suspect the chemical like smell you are referring to could well be an isoprop alcohol that would be used to perform some cleaning prior to release.

There is obviously also residue that can be left behind on the PCB from the soldering process.

It's incredibly common for a new electronic (especially a PSU) to have a "new electronics" smell.

The Seasonic FOCUS Plus is an excellent PSU, and i highly doubt it would cause damage to other components, if the smell is so bad it almost smells like capacitor fluid leaking, that may be a different story. But it is highly likely to just be what I have mentioned above.

But you can see a wealth of threads that cover the same basis here:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/blown-capacitor.3510891/
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/weird-plastic-smell.3515079/#post-21239221
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/950151-slight-plastic-burning-smell-from-new-psu/

If it started demonstrating strange symptoms under load, then I would be concerned.

Last edited:
Follow up:

I removed the original PSU from my old system and replaced it with the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750 and all I got was a CPU fan spinning for about 1 second and then nothing! I rechecked the primary motherboard cable and the CPU cable to no avail. The Seasonic PSU is DOA. I replaced it with the original PSU and the system boots without any issues.

Wow. I am extremely surprise and disappointed. This is supposed to be a great PSU! It was my first Seasonic PSU and my last. I'm going to purchase either a Corsair or an EVGA made by Super Flower.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'll be honest, don't give up on Seasonic, It could have become damaged in transit. Just remember mistakes do and will happen. I've had DOA Corsair, EVGA, etc. Funnily enough i've never had a DOA Seasonic. Also remember the amount of Corsair and Seasonic sell is massive, and Seasonic are actually the OEM for many brands.

Honestly just RMA and get a new one, you won't be disappointed.

Don't judge them by brand - EVGA make a TON of trash.
Super Flower also make some poor models and I always avoid the Corsair VS series.

Everyone makes defects, it's a shame, but i feel it a massive shame to give up on what is a genuinely brilliant company and excellent model PSU .

Last edited:
Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Update: The Seasonic PSU is working fine. Last week I tried the paperclip method to test the PSU and it came on without any issues. I decided to build up my case with all the new components, including the PSU, and give it a go. The system posted just fine, all fans spinning and I was in the BIOS. Voltage looked fine on all the rails. After a BIOS update on my motherboard, I installed Windows 10 without any issues.

I'm not sure what happened with the initial test with the old motherboard. Maybe I should have triple checked the connections.

Bottom line: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750 is working just fine. I retract my negative comments and thoughts about Seasonic.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Glad to hear it my friend. I can completely understand the nightmare of a system not booting. It's an awful feeling when it's your own system.

The best part is you do ultimately have an excellent PSU there, that should the worst happen, will protect the rest of your system, and guarantee you for 10 years under warranty.

Hope all goes well my friend :)

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Solution

You weren't using the Corsair cables with the Seasonic PSU, were you?