New Android Chief Promises Chromebook, Chrome OS Commitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

schultzter

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
At their core both Android and Chrome OS are Linux-based. It's not too hard to imagine Chrome OS running on-top of a Linux layer that owes more to Android than any flavour of Linux, so it has the necessary libraries to allow Android apps to run along-side Chrome apps. And the potential for Chrome OS API's to implemented in the Chrome Browser - allowing apps to seamlessly cross from one platform to another.

Whether they call it Android or Chrome OS I guess is a decision for the marketing department.

Thomasis75

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
Was going to buy a Chromebox running Chrome OS as my home computer but won't now. Will be sticking with Windows 10 since it will be good to go for at least another 7-10 years. And this NEW Windows 10 software is currently running just fine on my 7 year old AMD motherboard. That means that by the time Windows 10 finally bites the dust my computer hardware will most likely be about 14 years old. Now that is what I call a significant REDUCTION in our electronic waste stream.

It is really sad that Google has decided to take this approach since I really enjoy the simplicity of Chrome on my desktop. Mucking up Chrome with a bunch of Android apps seems just so wrong. It will probably be just another product you throw away like your phone every 2 or 3 years. Someone at Google needs to understand the difference between the stability of the desktop environment instead of the throw away mentality of the phone market.

tiddlypip

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
It seems to me that Google are looking at enabling chrome os on smartphones when docked rather than android on chrome.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
They need to go much closers to the mainline Linux or better yet to level it up & become one (new Linux distro). Currently Tizen is much closers to mainline. Their is much on going work on enabling QT & KDE environment including app ecosystem & this must be a first priority so that Android can be useful in usual productivity tasks tied for desktop computers. If we are lucky enough QT will become leading app framework truth time & known Java based apps will become legacy. If Google have any brains it won't insist on closed management of this future Android OS. Even now I see AOSP as a real leader concerning community work along with long stand suport. There are 4+ years old Sony phones with still active AOSP official suport. I don't see Chrome OS as something even remotely useful or good, it whose mistake from the beginning (too closed look of its makers that it could grow & evolve) all do I do appreciate help work on core boot from guys behind Chrome OS (for my pure non Chrome Linux experience).

Status
Not open for further replies.