New Android PC-On-A-Stick Offers More Power Than MK802

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
so does this thing have it's own power supply?....if it does not then it's not a computer....especially if you have to plug it in computer to read that info on it....to me it looks more like a storage device

nafhan

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Rockchip... that's my only concern here. The specs look great for the price. I'd just be worried that we might see something similar to the USB controller problems that the Raspberry Pi has.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Question: what is the power source? If it requires an additional power cable the concept is destroyed.[/citation]

I would imagine that it is powered by pin 18 +5V on the HDMI plug although that will require the power consumption to be less than 250mW (or 50mA).

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Although they don't seem to pushing this usage model, I would think it would also worked plugged into an HDMI input on a home theater receiver, which would be important to anyone with a surround sound speaker set-up. Most older model HDTVs do not have a digital audio return channel.

suture

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
A home lcd tv with android?, if this goes mainstream the netbooks/laptops market will take a big hit.
Nowdays most home users only have a laptop to do basic stuff (youtube/fb/ watch movies, music,etc) . if they can do that on a TV why bother to buy a laptop?

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]That's a pretty awesome idea.Question: what is the power source? If it requires an additional power cable the concept is destroyed.[/citation]
with the MK802, you can power it with a power adapter that you simply plug into the wall, or you can power it by one of the USB ports. judging by the pictures provided, the RK3066 has the exact same design on the exterior, so it is probably the same.

jazz84

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Am I the only one who's slightly put off by the fact that the only way to get one of these is through a specific YouTube user? I need to do more research on the individual and maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but this seems to have "potential back door" written all over it.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Gentlemen, welcome to the future. In a year or so these devices will have enough power and RAM to operate on a normal desktop/laptop level and it will be awesome. If these can be made to work with Windows and operate normally with a wireless mouse and keyboard I would buy one without a doubt.

G

Why would you want to make them work with a dying, albeit in a painfully-slow fashion, OS?

G

Make them with 4 GB of RAM and proper Linux support at once, I say, so I can finally ditch my humongous tower PC.

G

Buy one, root it, install ubuntu 12.04 on it = full linux desktop on tv

Status
Not open for further replies.