New Asus Eee PC Features 9.5 Hour Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
How much does it weight? It has a 8700 mAh battery (compared to 6600 mAh), this should make it heavier. And for crying out loud, why is the netbook industry stuck on that crappy ATOM (270 based) model?! Why can't Intel work out a Dual Core Atom (Like they did for the nettops.) CPU for netbooks ? ? ?

*-_-

G

Why no dual core atom?

- Cost
- Heat
- Power

I don't see why anyone would need *that* much power if they're getting a netbook in the first place... they're not meant to be encoding videos or playing current-gen games or anything... they're meant for maybe light gaming, internet, e-mail, etc...

G

I actually prefer 9" over 10" anytime!!!
I prefer the smaller keyboard,the cheaper looks;it makes it look like the expensive toy I never had when I was a teenager!
Apart from being cheaper, they also are more mod-friendlier.
Any notebook that's cheap is more bought to be modded (like the OLPC).

Besides it's lighter, and smaller; easier to carry around, uses less battery (smaller fan, smaller screen).
Many say 10"is the smallest, best size.
For writers,yes.
For programmers, no, 9"is great too!
and for travelers, no.

The reason so few people choose to buy a mininotebook is because it doesn't have a good enough supportive chipset!
I hope Ion will change that!

BTW, what's the memory speed?

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Many say 10"is the smallest, best size. For writers,yes.For programmers, no, 9"is great too!and for travelers, no.[/citation]
Being the writers that we are, the added size of the keyboard on the 10-inch models makes a big difference.

Out of curiosity, and perhaps your own experience, what makes the 9-inch just as good for programmers? Coders have to use the keyboard just as much as a writer, right?

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]ViDER[/nom]How much does it weight? It has a 8700 mAh battery (compared to 6600 mAh), this should make it heavier.[/citation]
It's still a 6-cell battery. I think it's just an improved design that allows a higher capacity per cell.

[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]For programmers, no, 9"[/citation]
I program and I think 10" is too small. I like a higher resolution display.

jrabbitb

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
correct me if this already exists but an atom w/ hyper threading would be enough. dual core isn't needed but multi threading would be nice.

spiralsun1

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
This is GREAT news!! A portable laptop people can actually use to do something serious. All portables should last this long on battery. Now I can take it on long car trips, to the park, to work, read a book in bed, and surf the internet (Facebook) or pay bills online in front of the TV without fear of it shutting down all day. Charge it overnight... Finally a computing tool with the basic covenience of a cordless screwdriver!

tmc

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
I have a question.. would consumers actually prefer beefed up netbooks over pricy portable media players in the same price range? One can easily see a $374 netbook comparing with an Archos 250gb or Cowon 250gb media player.. and yet a netbook could do so much more.. just not fit in a pocket but be light-weight and thin enough to tote along as you would a camcorder, digital camera, or other device.

Maybe they make netbooks as a tri-core 1.x ghz device. I've heard that multi core processors can be more energy efficient with the right os.. for example if your only using one application.. maybe only one core would be active... and 300mhz of processor use would be on par with pda battery consumption but with a laptop sized battery. Is this how they get to 9 hours of use?

G

Well, I use my asus 1000h every day! I use it for surfing, some gaming( i.e. my older halflife series) ebooks, It is my little multimedia machine. I take it everywhere!
At work , I have a full size laptop, and and have no problem using either one back to back. If the Asus was targeted for my demographic, it hit the mark quite well!
One computer does not fit all, so we have a wonderous universe of all varieties. Rest assured, though, these little ones will keep getting faster and more powerfull!

Status
Not open for further replies.