Question New Asus motherboard wont wake monitor ??

Digital~Dreams

Prominent
Jun 24, 2022
My old Asus X99-s motherboard and 1080Ti work just fine every time with no problem whatsoever. Yet the 1080Ti in a new Asus ROG Strix Z690-A (latest bios) refuses to bring the monitor out of sleep mode ??. Yes exactly the same with the built in video too. Only workaround is to switch on the PC immediately after the monitor so it doesn't go to sleep before boot. DP to mini DP cable (display port) supplied with the monitor.

Intel Core i9-12900KS 3.40GHz Processor.
Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WIFI D4.
Team Group 8 Pack Edition DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600Mhz Dual Channel Kit.
850W Seasonic PRIME TX 80PLUS Titanium, Single Rail, 70A, PSU
Dell 4K Monitor P2715q with supplied DP to mini-DP cable.

On my second motherboard now and back with the shop to test. Both had exactly same issue.

NOTE - SAME DISPLAY PORT CABLE AND 1080Ti.
Old PC works fine every time, put 1080Ti in new PC and BIOS WONT WAKE MONITOR FROM SLEEP. No hard drive in new system, latest bios flashed no SATA cables connected.

What's going on here ?, clearly a motherboard/cpu issue. Anyone else seen this problem ?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Make and model monitors?

On the new Asus Motherboard disable all screen and power savers. Determine if the problem ends.

Double check that the monitor(s) themselves are not going into some sort of screen saver or power saver just on their own.

Digital~Dreams

Prominent
Jun 24, 2022
First message updated. Note NO OS. New motherboard bios won't wake monitor (TWO MOTHERBOARDS SAME ISSUE) yet move the 1080ti into my old pc and it works perfectly every time. Yes monitor goes into sleep mode after a few seconds as usual. Unable to change motherboard settings as back to shop for third time !

First message updated. Note NO OS. New motherboard bios won't wake monitor (TWO MOTHERBOARDS SAME ISSUE) yet move the 1080ti into my old pc and it works perfectly every time. Yes monitor goes into sleep mode after a few seconds as usual. Unable to change motherboard settings as back to shop for third time !
I am not sure what you are complaining about. With modern motherboards after it boots it waits until you press a key, e.g. to enter a password, before it activates the monitor. This is its normal function to prevent any kind of burn in from an accidentally rebooted computer, e.g. it reboots from a power failure or update, and you're not there to log in. So normal function would be for you to turn on the computer and press some keys to get the monitor to light up and register those keystrokes. Is that what you are complaining about?