New ASUS systemboard, Corsair memory, and AMD Ryzen 7 2700X - constant system locks, maybe memory issue?

Sep 23, 2018
Okay, so after several years it was time to upgrade. I decided on staying with AMD system after reading good things about Ryzen. So I got that and one of the ASUS AMD boards, and some DDR4 memory. Here are the specific parts:

ASUS Prime X370-A Systemboard

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

Corsair Vengeance DDR4 - 2666

I plugged all the new parts into the case, powered it up, and so far so good. The animated BIOS screen: cool. The RGB CPU fan and red lit board, even cooler. And from what little I've been able to experience in Windows, this system seems super fast. But I have an issue.

The first thing I noticed on that initial boot into BIOS, is that it is listing the memory's top speed as 2133. I switched over to the OC profile #1 and that changed it to 2666 and the correct timings. But when I saved settings and restarted, I got 3 beeps. Eventually booted back to BIOS in "safe mode" and suggested I check the settings. Long story short after much testing, I can successfully boot with any memory frequency 2400 and under. If that were the end of the story, I could settle for that and wouldn't bother thinking of a return or exchange.

However, after I installed Windows (having settled for 2400 speed), the system locked up. And it continues to lock up, some times as little as a minute but no more than 10 minutes after loading Windows. It locked up while trying to install a driver. It locked up while bookmarking a site. It locked up when I just moved the mouse. I left Windows running to go take care of something, and when I returned it was locked up.

Most times it just freezes, requiring a hard shut down. But a few times, Windows managed to bring up Windows 10 version of the BSOD giving error message "clock_watchdog_timeout". I searched that and found it commonly occurs with excessive overclocking. But I'm not overclocking, but in fact underclocking.

I'm really at a loss and just thought I'd see if I could get any answers here before I return the memory and try another one that's on the ASUS approved memory list (which I've never even worried about before).

I did have an idea today about the memory voltage maybe needing to be raised, but it is set for 1.2 just as the memory is designed for.

Sep 23, 2018

Thanks for the reply, bmockeg.

I don't really want to spend so much on the motherboard (for the X470), but the B450 might be doable, assuming this is what you are referring to. Right now I'm leaning more toward exchanging the memory for a pair or 8 GB sticks that are listed on the board's QVL memory list, as that's the easiest solution. So I'll probably try that first, but if I may ask what would changing to the B450 board do?

As far as memory speed, I read that the Ryzen processor I have is limited to 2666 mem speed if more than one stick is installed. So I was staying at that or under. Here is the one I am thinking about, as it's the only 2 X 8 GB kit listed on the QVL from a brand I've actually heard of (I didn't include Corsairs as I've now read that the Vengeance has a lot of compatibility problems).

The motherboard has the most to do with memory compatibility. B350 and,x370 motherboards were notorious for poor memory compatibility including inability to reach maximum advertised RAM clock speeds. This was modified heavily with the b450 x470 motherboards where memory compatibility was greatly enhanced. Its also newer technology and made for the 2nd generation ryzen processors.

Sep 23, 2018

Okay.... I might exchange the board then as I don't want to regret not doing it while I had the chance. The above board I referenced for B450 is the one you're talking about?

Sep 23, 2018

EDIT: Actually I like the layout of this B450 better.

Sep 23, 2018

Thanks, drivinfast. See the reply I just made for the parts I ordered.

I didn't go any higher on memory, as I don't want to spend too much. And that was the best choice I could see from the ASUS memory QLV.

Sep 23, 2018
Just got back n town and got my new parts.

The B450 does do better with the memory, as I can apply profile #1 to get the correct speeds and it boots successfully.

But, I'm still having the lockups once in Wndows. It's happening the same way as before, random lockups within 10 minutes or less.

So...…… maybe the processor is bad? I can send it in for a replacement, unless there's something else I'm missing?

Sep 23, 2018

BTW, this (Thermaltake 550 watt) is the power supply I have. Is it possible that the new boards and CPUs aren't liking it?

Sep 23, 2018
Oh, yeah, I'm doing a clean install of Windows, or at least trying to.

I tried to install updated ASUS chipset drivers, but can't get it installed before the system locks up.

Since my last post, I took the system apart and put in only essentials - I have to put in a video card. Same results.

What's the best option: try a new power supply or exchange the CPU?

Sep 23, 2018

I put in my original AM3 board (Asus M5A97 R 2.0) and am loading Windows on it now. I will test that for a day or 2, but I'm fully expecting it to be fine.

I would guess then that my current power supply could be just fine for that, but not for the new system? I don't want to spend too much more money on getting this going, so would this one be fine?

EDIT: I just noticed that PSU is not available now. I'll have to look around some more, but want to stay around $100 or less..

GPU = Geforce 970 GTX.

Sep 23, 2018
"BTW, this (Thermaltake 550 watt) is the power supply I have. Is it possible that the new boards and CPUs aren't liking it?"

I don't know what I was thinking. I found that in my order history at newegg and assumed it was my power supply.

Mine is actually a Coolermaster 600 watt; I must have bought it at a local store and not on-line.

Hopefully, though, that does turn out to be the culprit and the Seasonic will fix me up.