New ASUS systemboard, G-Skill memory, and AMD Ryzen 7 2700X - constant system lockups / BSOD

Sep 23, 2018
Here is the original thread I made in memory, cause I initially suspected that as being the issue.

Last thing suggested was to replace my 7+ years old power supply. I did that, and the problem stll persists. Here are my new components:

Ryzen 7 2700X

G.Skilll Ripjaws V 2400, 8X2

Asus Prime B450-Plus Systemboard

Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series - 650W Gold

Quick recap: I had this same issue on the original systemboard and memory I had gotten. I returned those for a different board and memory. Same issue. Then I changed out the power supply rather than exchange the CPU.

I haven't had any issues in BIOS or when Windows is being installed. But once into Windows and I start installing drivers / programs, it locks up within 10 minutes. Sometimes (as in this most recent time) it gives Window 10 version of BSOD giving a clock_watchdog_timeout error. Which is supposed to be related to incorrect overclocking, but all I do is apply profile 1 to get the memory to correct 2400 speed (and this issue also happens if I leave it at the initial 2133 speed).

Incidentally, I can put my old systemboard, processor and memory in and everything is fine. I had Windows installed on it for the week I was waiting for the power supply with no issues.

The only thing left to do is to replace the processor, in case I got a bad one. I really don't want to have to return something else, so if would greatly appreciate anything else I can try.

Solution
Try this please. Go to windows website and use their installation tool to make a USB installation. This will be an updated version and,rule out any corruption of the disk. Try to install that way.
Sep 23, 2018
Update: In the meantime, I brought out an old PC I had stored in the closet and gutted it. I put the new systemboard, processor, memory in this case with a different HD and different DVD-ROM Drive. The only other component brought over is the GTX 970. Installed Windows, then installed Firefox, was in the middle of changing the mouse pointer speed when... it locked up.

The ONLY other thing I can try s to pull out my old GTS 8800 video card, but I don't see why the 970 would work my previous systemboard and not with the new one.

Scratch that... my monitor is a newer one that only has DisplayPort and HDMI.

So now I'm back to exchanging the CPU.....

Sep 23, 2018
Installing Windows fresh.

Specifically, it is a DVD-ROM I made when Windows 10 first came out. Same procedure for the new board as when I test out the old board. Boot up to the disc, format the drive, install Windows. Except it keeps locking up with the new board in.

That does make me wonder: is any way possible that this installation Windows disc I'm using (made way before any of the major updates came out) would be fine with the old board but having trouble with the new board? I have to get a new copy of Windows 10 anyway (obviously since new board). I was waiting until I got this issue fixed and was planning on just buying a license key. But could a new and updated Windows installation disc possibly be needed for this new board?

I have already put in an RMA with newegg for CPU replacement, but won't be sending it off until tomorrow - so still time to figure out something.

Sep 23, 2018

It sounds worth trying. I'll do that tonight.

Unless someone at Microsoft is willing to switch over the license, I'll have to buy a new one. It will automatically activate on the old board (what the key's registered to) but gives a message on the new board that I need a new license.

Sep 23, 2018

What do you know? It was a software issue the whole time.

I've just mostly finished setting up the computer and there have been no lockups. I guess the new hardware was just too much for the outdated installation to keep up with.

Thanks for helping me think through this, bmockeg!