[SOLVED] New Asus Z390M based build only boots to bios and crashes on trying to boot SATA or Uefi USB

neillydone

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
I'm looking for some help to try and resolve an issue with a new build. The specs are:

Intel I7 9700k
Corsair H75 watercolour / stock CPU fan
Asus Z390M Prime
Corsair LPM Vengeance 32GB RAM
850 W PSU
Samsung SATA drives
Win10 boot UEFI image on a USB

The build will only go into the bios and I cannot get further to load an OS or bootable USB.

I can see the USB device as a drive in the boot manager but upon restarting to load the OS from the USB drive, the mobo splash screen appears with the spinning dots which then freeze after one cycle. After about 90 sec or 2 min one of the case fans then spins up tremendously and then it switches off. This behaviour is the same when trying to boot into a previous install of WIN10 on a SATA disk.

I have tried alternatives of: the PSU, cables, power socket, CPU cooler (both the water system and the stock fan); USB drives and also a i5 CPU left from my previous GA150M based build (which oddly doesn't even want to POST). I've also reset the bios, taken the battery out, enabled Uefi in the Bios and disabled Fast Boot.

The system will also intermittently reboot once or twice before getting into the bios, usually it seems with a hardware change (e,g. When try with or without the GPU).

I should say that I did get some thermal paste on the CPU and cleaned it up somewhat but I wonder if that's got inside under the lid of the CPU. However the fact that I can get into the bios suggests the CPU is functioning, surely....?

Any ideas or insights would be appreciated at this point. I'm wondering if it's a bad mobo or if I have fried something (perhaps the CPU) along the way...However, I cannot see any bent pins on the mobo.

Thanks for any ideas...

Neil

reset/ and save your BIOS, using default settings....

Maybe even drop down to a single RAM stick, stay away from any CMP profiles just yet....

Disconnect all/any unneeded drives except for USB installation media, and destination drive for install...

Make a new WIn10 installation USB using media creation tool on a different flash drive (you might want to verify integrity of flash drive first with a testing tool, as I've discovered a few that actually fail, and, last thing you want is an ISO being written to disk that drops a bit here and there...

USB flash drive testing program--
https://www.vconsole.com/download

Might want to see if you can boot/run a Memtest86 USB flash drive, and run it several hours/passes with stability...

neillydone

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
Ok, made some progress, your tip for the bios seemed to do the trick, I was able to run Mem86 for once cycle without errors and it then booted into the Windows install prompt with the localisation settings. Thank you!

Tomorrow I will move to software to see if I can do an in place reinstall of windows 10 assuming it behaves!

Thanks again so much,

Neil

neillydone

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
Just to say thankyou again - I was able to get the system up, I installed WIN10 on a previous SSD (I needed to buy another licence anyways as I had now changed the mobo)

I'm now up and running with a new GPU installed (which is the main reason for my upgrade so i can run DCS and the new Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 in VR. thanks again Vic 40 for your help!!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
That new license might have not been necessary,but since you have it. If you had a microsoft account would it have been easy to transfer the windows from one to another and even if not is there always a phonenr. that can be called with steps to switch license.

Anyway glad i could be of help and you are up and running. Happy gaming! 😁