New Athlon compatible with old KT133 chipset?

G

Is the new Athlon with 266 Mhz FSB compatible with VIA KT133 chipset? Seems to be a very fundamental question which should be covered in any FAQ, but not even seeing one of them anywhere in the Net. Or is it too early to ask this question?

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There are many questions regarding the new Athlons, but since they are not yet available, some questions just can't be answered yet. They might release bios updates so that you can use the new chips...but why would you want to run a 266mhz bus CPU on a 133mhz board? Personally i don't think the KT133 will be compatible with the new athlons, but who knows

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
let me first say that i don't know the answer, this is just a guess... i have an epox ep-8kta+. in the bios, you can select a 133mhz cpu clock (which would run at a ddr 266mhz)with a 33mhz pci clock, and seperately select a 133mhz memory clock. it would seem that this would be the setting for the new athlons. the only unknown is whether the bios would actually recognize the new chip

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hehe didnt know the new Athlons where out yet... Sure do hope they are not as i just got my baby last week

G

I have an Epox 8kta, and with the newest bios, you can select all the way up to 166mhz cpu bus, at 2x of course. This is confusing because I haven't heard of any plans from AMD to release a processor that supports this.

Fa<font color=blue>rNa</font color=blue><font color=yellow>m</font color=yellow> The <font color=green>Dr</font color=green><font color=yellow>Unka</font color=yellow><font color=red>RD</font color=red>

G

I think the support of new Athlon on existing KT133 chipset is important. There are thousands of people still having 256 Mb or 384 Mb of SDRAM, are they going to just switch over to DDR for an upgrade? What do they do with their SDRAM? While they still have their SDRAM, it would be "cool" to just plug the new Athlon into their Abit KT7-RAID which they just bought a few weeks ago and enjoy the 266 Mhz FSB, although they miss the fun part of DDR.

G

Well, some boards may support the multiplier, but mine certainly doesn't. My Kt133 board only goes up to 112MHz/38MHz PCI, good for overclocking but not good for the new Athlon. I guess ppl will just have to look at their own board. I just hope AMD don't pull an Intel-esque trick like with the Socket370 Celerons and FC-PGA PIII's (I'm pretty sure they won't cos they're not nasty like that).

On the memory front, I've heard some AMD 760 boards might support SDR and DDR DIMMs, and some of the Taiwanise offerings next year definitly will.

Another question I have: Can I use my Thunderbird Athlon in a 760 board and run with DDR SDRAM? Will the new board support 100MHz x2 or 105MHz x 2 or 110 MHz x 2 etc?

G

Of course it is compatible, but only with 100 MHz DDR Frontside bus. The KT Chipset currently is not able to go over 110 MHz - as you can read in almost every overclocking article in the web.
So you can use the new Athlons in KT boards, but most pobabely you will have to "underclock" them...

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
According to <A HREF="http://techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20001109S0012" target="_new">TechWeb's AMD Roadmap report</A> those 'Hammer's, aka Palomino and Morgan will be 64bit processors, which will be run with Windows Whistler's 64bit architecture, which might not be supported by current motherboards, running 32bit processors. Things will change next year, when those goodies get pumped out. Oooohhh... can wait to get Windows Whistler + AMD 1.5 Palomino + 256 DDR SDRAM + Geforce nv100... I just drool over them.

Smart guys are not smart because they only see things at a different perspective. :wink:

G

It is not sure whether it is the Chipset that is the limiting factors or the Athlon that we have today cannot be overclocked at any higher FSB above 110 Mhz.

Diablo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In fact the only problem you will have with a type "C" or 133MHz DDR Athlon is that the multiplier will be much lower than that from a regular 100Mhz DDR Athlon. Take for example the 1.2GHz cpu : 12*100 = 1200 for the 100 MHz part and 9*133=1200 for the 133Mhz part
this means that you will have to unlock the multiplier (which shouldn't be a problem) and raise the multiplier to get the same clockspeed. So technically it is possible to put the newer cpu onto the KT133 chipset but in my opinion it is better to by a DDR mobo if you buy a 133Mhz Athlon...

:cool: Visit me at <A HREF="http://casemod.tripod.com" target="_new">http://casemod.tripod.com</A> :cool: