New ATI X800GTO shuts down my PC!

Hankman67

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Just put in this video card, a new power supply, and did a fresh install of xp home (after formatting). Everything has been working wonderful for days, until I started gaming. I installed Call of Duty 2, started playing, and after a few scenes the PC just shut off. This happened over and over. I installed the latest Catilyst and ATI drivers but it did not help.
I gave up on COD2 and un-installed. Next, I installed Quake 4. About 2 minutes into the game, the PC shuts off. Am I never going to be able to play games with this card? The system runs flawlessly until I play a game. Is something overheating? If so, is it the video card or the PSU?
Please help.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The X800GTO doesnt require that much power. It doesnt needs extra power unless you have the gto2.

Check your temps with atitool.

Hankman67

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Just put in this video card, a new power supply, and did a fresh install of xp home (after formatting). Everything has been working wonderful for days, until I started gaming. I installed Call of Duty 2, started playing, and after a few scenes the PC just shut off. This happened over and over. I installed the latest Catilyst and ATI drivers but it did not help.
I gave up on COD2 and un-installed. Next, I installed Quake 4. About 2 minutes into the game, the PC shuts off. Am I never going to be able to play games with this card? The system runs flawlessly until I play a game. Is something overheating? If so, is it the video card or the PSU?
Please help.

System Specs:

CPU: AMD64 2800+
RAM: 768 MB DDR
HD: (2) Raptor 36GB SATA - RAID 0
DVD Rom
DVD RW
floppy
MOBO: Chaintech VNF3-250
PSU: Rosewill RV450
Fans: 3 added case fans, 1 GPU slot fan

Why is the system turning off? Wouldn't overheating of the graphics card just cause the system to freeze or lock up?

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Taking the PSU is 450W (wich is sufficient).

Download atitool and measure the temps of your gpu. Above 70*C is high, but till 80*C you're safe

Hankman67

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
OK I've loaded and ran ATItool. I'm not sure what to do but I've set the fan to run at 100% at or above 60 deg. When I click on "show 3D view", the temp keeps going up. After about a minute the temp goes up to 85 deg and I stop it. It then will settle back to approx. 50 deg or so. Is this hot? What else do I need to do with ATItool?

Update. I started the temp. logger and started playing Quake 4. No more than 2 minutes into the game, the system shut down. After restart, the logger reports that it shut down at a GPU temp of 75.8 deg. Again, is this too hot? It was 49.4 deg at the beginning of the game.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well its a bit hot, but doesnt seem TO hot to me. Does it needs an extra power cable? (as i said x800gto's dont use them as far as i know but just to make sure)

You can try to underclock it a bit and let the fan run 100% the whole time

Hankman67

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Thanks a lot for your help.
It does need and has a molex power cable connected. It's the Sapphire model card.
What exactly should I underclock to, and what do I change in ATItool.
(I've never messed around with factory settings before).

benjamin

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
Thanks a lot for your help.
It does need and has a molex power cable connected. It's the Sapphire model card.
What exactly should I underclock to, and what do I change in ATItool.
(I've never messed around with factory settings before).
Try aiming a spare system fan at the card, running with the door open, or otherwise to artificially lower your temperatures.

It still shouldn't be crashing at 75c, though. Consider an RMA.

TRENDING THREADS