New AX1200i and MSI Xpower Z270 Titanium not working

tateconcepts

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
Hello all,

I just put together one masterpiece, an MSI Enthusiast Gaming XPower Z270 Titanium main board inside an Air 740 case with an AX1200i however - it doesn't want to power on! :pfff:

Upon my first thoughts, I plugged the power in and flipped the switch. I could then see my main board controls were glowing red (there are power/reset/overclock/etc buttons directly on this board). I pressed the power button itself on the board (not the case) and then - nothing, a flash of all led and fans, nothing - total loop. Frustrated, I began to investigate these same issues on this forum and started the following tests:

1. Turned off the power switch on the PSU and unplugged it.
2. Waited a few seconds, plugged it back in and flipped the switch - same result.
3. Performed step 1 again, then disconnected everything from the PSU and repeat of step 2.
4. Now for self test, just a whirl of the fan and no led. Again, same.
5. This time, I unplugged the PSU only and depressed the power button to ensure the PSU was totally discharged.
6. Now I again, plugged PSU back in and flipped switch to on. Attempted self-test with different result - a moderate fan began to whirl for a 2-3 seconds and green led would appear for same time then turn off.

Now I'm thinking, why didn't that work the first time I did the self-test? :/

Baffled, I reconnect everything with still, no boot or should I say non-boot loop. I then thought that maybe my PSU was actually faulty (as there are tons of people with issues on these and the manual offers little troubleshooting). I then used the first sticky in troubleshooting a power supply on this forum. I once again, rinse and repeat of power cycle with nothing connected now but ATX cable and I disconnect it from main board. I then connect pins 15/16 with paper clip and this time connect nothing but fans (three Corsair SP120RGB via included controller) (only led power, as fans themselves go to the board). Now, I flip the switch and I get a different result. Upon this, I see no LED from the fans - my self test led goes green then solid red. If I am correct, does that mean this small load is functional or not? :??:

If so, I tried checking all my connections and they are solid to this board. It is a Corsair Air 740 case so I have a ton of room even with the H80i CPU cooler. I have not bothered to connect a GPU since I cannot get even the basics to boot. This is a new Core i7-7700k with Corsair 2x8GB DDR43200 RGB Vengeance installed in slots 2/4 as per the MSI manual. The main board is defaults so it shouldn't have any OC settings yet. As this is a completely new build, I'm not sure what to do from here. Would anyone assist me with some ideas of what I can do to check if the PSU is actually functioning as expected or do I need to do I need to RMA this for a new one?

Update, I had to try something again after an hour - this time, unplugged the ATX cable with paper clip in it and plugged in the power back into the PSU, then turned PSU switch to on. Now if I attempt a self test with the button, all I hear is a click like in the beginning. Sometimes there appears to be an attempt to whirl the fan just as before but nothing. No led no fan running for even 2-3 seconds. I'm beginning to think this AX1200i is junk from the get go.

Solution

Thank you Alexoui,

Sure enough, I did a test with Corsair support and just a click, no led or fans on the PSU. I connected a CX750M and used my AXi for the extra 4pin above the 8pin already needed for the CPU (this PSU isn't meant for this) and voila! The board is alive and functions great, once I update the BIOS I should be good to go!

tateconcepts

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015

I did attach three fans, see above. All six fans in this Corsair Air 740, including the RGB fans however can only connect to fan ports on the main board. I do have the option however to power the light emitting diodes on three of the fans connected to the controller, which is powered by a SATA connector. I can also power a larger HDD instead of SSD if needed but not fans because they are not molex nor do I have an adapter. I may ask some of the guys in endpoint support if they have something like that but I doubt it, they buy not build computers.

tateconcepts

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015

This is a Core i7-7700K with a Corsair H80i liquid cooler as this is a very hot CPU. I must have at least CPU fan connected or it will burn!

Only the case fans disconnected, not the CPU fan.

tateconcepts

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015

I'll send back to Amazon and buy a new one if needed but I'm not buying ASUS. I'm just not a fan of their products and they had their own dud X99 boards. Besides, I think this is one of the few that supports 4 PCI-E 16x which I must have on this chipset and I dislike builtin wifi plus desire two NIC for redundancy.

tateconcepts

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
Not the memory for sure, according to Newegg reviews I'd get a code on the board led display

This review is from: MSI Z270 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

Pros: Easy to install. I put together my own system from NewEgg.com parts. Instructions and compatibility made it simple. It some with some great pre-installed software.

Cons: Memory slots only have one 'clip'. I keep getting a 55 error, only too a minute to figure it out. This motherboard has a great instruction/code book that comes with it. I had to check how the memory was seated. Due to the clip being only on one side, you think the memory is seated but its not. Simple to fix/find.

tateconcepts

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015

Nope, excellent board. It's the Corsair AX1200i - it's DOA from the retailer.

tateconcepts

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015

Thank you Alexoui,

Sure enough, I did a test with Corsair support and just a click, no led or fans on the PSU. I connected a CX750M and used my AXi for the extra 4pin above the 8pin already needed for the CPU (this PSU isn't meant for this) and voila! The board is alive and functions great, once I update the BIOS I should be good to go!

Solution