Not open for further replies.

creichert

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Howdy,
Motherboard: ASRock Steel Legend, B450m
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
Display: Old Dell 4x3 VGA
I just powered up for the first time on a new build. I'm getting no display (vga adapeter to DPort). Unfortunately my HDMI Display is a TV I'm using for my backup computer
and I'm getting 5 long beeps....but no display. The display has power to it, it's just not being found.
I think the first thing is to get the display working.
Any ideas?
Thanks for the help

Solution
It is a Windows 7 hard drive, that I was using on an ASRock Z87 1150 socket, running an i7
I figured since you would never have gotten Windows installed without keyboard+mouse.
I suppose I just keep swapping back and fourth between the mouse and keyboard.
You can do that until you get the driver installed and then use USB like normal.

BTW, that PS2 is a combo port, ment to be adapted to a keyboard and a mouse port so they manufacturers can get away with one port.https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Keyboard-Splitter-Adapter-KYC1MF/dp/B000067SLZ

Well once you get done uninstalling Acrobat Pro (license reasons I guess), I would just go and install a fresh copy of windows 10 from these instructions....

creichert

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Operating System is Windows 7 Pro
Motherboard: ASRock Steel Legend B450m
Ryzen 7 2700x
Graphics Card: EVGA 650ti

I found a VGA to DVI adapter...I have some good news and some bad news.
First the good news. The computer boots up, and the old 4x3 monitor looks really nice. And...I no longer have the 5 long beeps. So that's all good.
The Bad news. I have no USB power. The mouse and keyboard are dead.
Here's what it's doing. When I first boot, I do have a working mouse and keyboard. The USB's on the back go dead, when the Windows 7 spinning logo appears, and remains dead to the password log in screen. I can't log in, because I have no mouse or keyboard.

Here's what I've tried:
logging into safe mode, I do have keyboard and mouse control.
I can get to boot menu and have selected Windows Boot Manager.
In the setup screen, I also have keyboard and mouse control. It's only when I exit and the computer goes into the Windows display / log in, is when it goes dead.
I've also tried different USB ports, which did not work
I've tried the USB ports on the front, which are plugged into a motherboard USB, which did not help
I've tried different USB devices, which also did not work.

Just have to get the USB's working now.
Thanks for the help

Windows 7 spinning logo appears, and remains dead to the password log in screen
The issue is Windows 7.

Modern hardware (whether Intel or AMD) have degrading support for older operating systems like Windows 7. So basically, you need USB drivers to get it to work.

I see your motherboard has a PS2 port. Can you connect a PS2 mouse and keyboard to the system? If you can, use them to download all of the drivers from the internet. https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M Steel Legend/index.asp#Download

Otherwise, install Windows 10. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

creichert

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
I just didn't know my selection changed the link.

Click the drop-down box and click Windows 7.
Then download the "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver" which includes the chipset driver, which is what you need.

If something else doesnt work you can download the driver from here.

This is assuming that you have a PS2 keyboard+mouse and can use them to log in and install the driver.

I'm hoping this isnt a win7 install from an old PC and you are trying to use it on a new ryzen PC, because you need to reinstall in that case.

creichert

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
I'm hoping this isnt a win7 install from an old PC and you are trying to use it on a new ryzen PC, because you need to reinstall in that case.

So I've got some good news, and some bad news...
The good news is I dug around, and actually have an old PS2 Keyboard from a very old computer running windows 95...the big 5" floppy and everything. The Keyboard works! I can log in. Now all I need is an adapter to run a USB mouse. I suppose I just keep swapping back and fourth between the mouse and keyboard.

Now for the bad news. It is a Windows 7 hard drive, that I was using on an ASRock Z87 1150 socket, running an i7. The only reason I want to get into this, is so I can uninstall my Acrobat Pro, so I can reinstall on the new computer. All my files are in the cloud, so that's not an issue.

Also, I do have the disk of drivers that came with the new motherboard. Will this have the "AMD all in 1 VGA driver" you are speaking of.

Last edited:
Reactions: NightHawkRMX
It is a Windows 7 hard drive, that I was using on an ASRock Z87 1150 socket, running an i7
I figured since you would never have gotten Windows installed without keyboard+mouse.
I suppose I just keep swapping back and fourth between the mouse and keyboard.
You can do that until you get the driver installed and then use USB like normal.

BTW, that PS2 is a combo port, ment to be adapted to a keyboard and a mouse port so they manufacturers can get away with one port.https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Keyboard-Splitter-Adapter-KYC1MF/dp/B000067SLZ

Well once you get done uninstalling Acrobat Pro (license reasons I guess), I would just go and install a fresh copy of windows 10 from these instructions. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

Unless you are incredibly attached to W7, Windows 10 is the way to go. Easier to get working on new hardware and Windows 7 is losing support from Microsoft in just a few months, unfortunately.

Solution

creichert

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Everything is working now. I was able to log in by using the ease of access virtual keyboard on the log in screen...forgot about that. From there, I used the disk, that came with the MB, to get the All in One, and LAN drivers.
Now, I'm going to play around with Windows 10...which I hate, because it doesn't have Chess Kings!
Thanks for all the help

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Status
Not open for further replies.