[SOLVED] New b550 mobo, no display, no usb

Jul 20, 2021
My old motherboard (MSI MPG b550 gaming edge wifi) was having issues, so i elected to purchase a gigabyte b550 aorus elite rev.1.0 board. After doing a full teardown of the system and rebuilding it on the gigabyte motherboard, I've not been able to go anywhere. I have no display output, no signs of usb connection, and no control over my system.
First, the specs-
Gigabyte b550 Aorus Elite rev.1.0 motherboard
Ryzen 7 2700x cpu
Corsiar vengeance pro rgb 32gb (2x16) 3200mhz
EVGA FTW3 RTX3070
samsung 970 evo 500gb m.2 nvme for my boot drive
Lian Li 240mm AIO
samsung 870 500gb ssd
assorted hdd for storage

As far as things I've already tried. Already tried checking all of the connections, everything seems to have power and all connections are good. I've already tried removing and reinstalling the cmos battery to reset it. I've tried switching around the ram. I've tried several of the bios updates using a flash drive and the Q-flash feature. I've also tried disconnecting my additional hard drives and PCIE usb card (I have a lot of usb devices). My next step is contacting the merchant and replacing the motherboard but I'd prefer that to be a last resort. Any help is appreciated, thanks all.

Solution
My old motherboard (MSI MPG b550 gaming edge wifi) was having issues, so i elected to purchase a gigabyte b550 aorus elite rev.1.0 board. After doing a full teardown of the system and rebuilding it on the gigabyte motherboard, I've not been able to go anywhere. I have no display output, no signs of usb connection, and no control over my system.
First, the specs-
Ryzen 7 2700x cpu
EVGA FTW3 RTX3070
Lian Li 240mm AIO
samsung 870 500gb ssd
assorted hdd for storage

As far as things I've already tried. Already tried checking all of the connections, everything seems to have power and all...
First, the specs-
Ryzen 7 2700x cpu
EVGA FTW3 RTX3070
Lian Li 240mm AIO
samsung 870 500gb ssd
assorted hdd for storage

As far as things I've already tried. Already tried checking all of the connections, everything seems to have power and all connections are good. I've already tried removing and reinstalling the cmos battery to reset it. I've tried switching around the ram. I've tried several of the bios updates using a flash drive and the Q-flash feature. I've also tried disconnecting my additional hard drives and PCIE usb card (I have a lot of usb devices). My next step is contacting the merchant and replacing the motherboard but I'd prefer that to be a last resort. Any help is appreciated, thanks all.
If you want to use B550 chipset on older cpu, you should reach asus motherboard. Most B550 motherboards didnt support cpu below Zen 2 because it is blocked (looked up into the latest bios, and found a Zen and Zen+ microcode is available).

some b550 motherboard that i saw working with 2700X:
Asus Tuf B550M Gaming Plus
MSi B550M Mortar

Otherwise, you should use B450 chipset motherboard.

Solution
Jul 20, 2021
If you want to use B550 chipset on older cpu, you should reach asus motherboard. Most B550 motherboards didnt support cpu below Zen 2 because it is blocked (looked up into the latest bios, and found a Zen and Zen+ microcode is available).

some b550 motherboard that i saw working with 2700X:
Asus Tuf B550M Gaming Plus
MSi B550M Mortar

Otherwise, you should use B450 chipset motherboard.
Wonderful insight, this is only my third build so I've still got stuff to learn, with that in mind I think I'll just go for a cheaper b450m (like the gigabyte aorus) since I've used that board before, and then upgrade when I can finally afford to go from the 2700X to the 5800X. Thanks a lot!

Reactions: drea.drechsler